Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By JR A
  • 3 Post By Hawkeberry
  • 1 Post By JR A
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Should I just get a tablet/laptop?

Last week I upgraded from a BB Torch to a Note 2. Loving the phone, the browsing etc which you can't do or isn't so great on BB. I haven't touched my iPhone since and rarely used the BB. However, out of curiosity of BB10 I just put in for it to be returned, and it will be collected after the new year. I'm a media student and play video games competitively (hobby), so I'm always browsing/watching streams on a daily basis. I also use blogs and sites like Instagram. The one thing I would miss about BB is the email system and BBM. I stuck a PAYG sim in it and I've only been using it for them. I feel using 3 phones atm to be excessive... Although I have a musician/gamer friend that uses 4... and alternates between 2 tabs.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Use the product(s) which meet your specific requirements. There is no single definitive answer to your question or than "it depends." To be honest, the BlackBerry smartphone and tablet combination has effectively replaced my need of a notebook computer, although I still use a notebook computer as a stand-in for a traditional desktop computer. If anything needs to change w.r.t. smartphone and tablet screens, in my opinion, the screens should magnify the actual displayed content in a manner which fools the eye. For example, the 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook is portable and highly utilitarian but the readability can pose problems due to the small screen real estate. I do not want a larger tablet but would welcome screen technology that projected a 15-inch display image to my eyes through magnification or similar optical modification. At present, with the right applications a BlackBerry PlayBook allows some users to carry-out the same activities as they had been on their desktop computer or notebook computer.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

BB9700CA is right. Find and use what works best for what you need. I love my 9810 and Playbook bridged together and separately. However, the 10" screen and the apps, etc. available for my Galaxy Tab make it a much better work device for my writing. I'm hoping that changes with BB10 and maybe a 10" Playbook. But we'll have to wait to tell on that. I will say that, if I have to switch to something other than BB for phone, the Note 2 is very tempting.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ing for the fjords

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    For example, the 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook is portable and highly utilitarian but the readability can pose problems due to the small screen real estate. I do not want a larger tablet but would welcome screen technology that projected a 15-inch display image to my eyes through magnification or similar optical modification.
    My work PC monitor which handles multiple inputs. My PC input is through the DVI, I connect the Playbook to the HDMI cable I have already connected to the monitor. When I need instant magnification, I switch inputs.
    Thanked by:
    CairnsRock (12-27-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Kinda trying to decide which one. The laptop might be more beneficial, tabs are easier to carry around. Then I got a choice of which tab...
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    BB9700CA is right. Find and use what works best for what you need. I love my 9810 and Playbook bridged together and separately. However, the 10" screen and the apps, etc. available for my Galaxy Tab make it a much better work device for my writing. I'm hoping that changes with BB10 and maybe a 10" Playbook. But we'll have to wait to tell on that. I will say that, if I have to switch to something other than BB for phone, the Note 2 is very tempting.
    Note 2 is very good! I'd definitely recommend it outside of BB.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN

I've asked myself this several times. I keep looking for the "all-in-one" solution.

I haven't found one, yet.

Everything I need to do in regards to work related tasks can be taken care of on a tablet. However, the apps I need to use only runs on Android and iOS devices. So, the PlayBook has become just that, something I use to play games or stream music/videos. I can't use the "Business Tablet" for actual business...

As I type this on my laptop, it's sitting on my desk next to my desktop. I like the portability of my ThinkPad, and for me, there really is no replacement for a great physical keyboard (in the ThinkPad's case, mechanical) for typing. Also, I get a bigger display which makes viewing webpags and videos a lot nicer, and even though tablets meet or exceed my laptop's screen resolution, actual screen size is king when it comes to scrolling through lots of content.

A tablet is a nice portable media consumption device. It's great if I don't have to put in much input other than typing a web address or clicking on links. Laptop is more productive in that area. For instance, using Quicken on my laptop is a MUCH better experience than using it on a tablet. Even though there is the quicken app for Android and iOS, my fingers/hands/wrists hurt after trying to navigate through the details of my finances on the app, and even then, the app doesn't support all the features the PC software provides, which means I get a less detailed or very limited experience, which is usually the case with app versions of software. The app is great for VIEWING information, but for actually inputting, editing, and such, a laptop is way better in my opinion.

As far as social media like FB, Twitter, etc. they have evolved over the years to become more optimized for phones and tablets. I don't use FB or Twitter much, nor do I blog. If I did, again, the tablet would be nice for viewing content but if I were writing in my blog, I'd want a physical keyboard and mouse. The closest I can think of in this realm is I keep a personal journal using Evernote. I used Evernote on my 9900, and although the typing experience is the best by FAR on any phone or tablet, I would prefer a laptop or desktop keyboard. I tend to write pages worth of material in Evernote, so I prefer doing that on my laptop. Using the 9900 would be the minimum in my mind as far as typing an extensive entry. Tablet/touch screen phone? Forget about it. In fact, I even did some statistical research on my own Evernote journal entries. When I used my all touchscreen phone or tablet, I typed significantly less - I only wrote less than HALF of what I would normally write when I was using my laptop. So for me, an all touch device like a tablet, is less productive.

And yes, I could get a wireless keyboard to connect to my tablet. However, most wireless keyboards made for iPad or Android devices are too small to type extensively. My hands and wrists begin hurt after using a compact keyboard. And even if I did find a comfortable keyboard to connect to my tablet, I'd still be running the mobile version of software and not the full-fledged program (see my above Quicken example).

My desktop naturally has more processing power. I don't game, but every now and then (maybe once or twice a month) I'll play a game, however nothing graphic intense (Total War, SC2, Civilization, etc). I use my desktop for everything that I use my laptop for. For my needs, laptops and desktops are equal in regards to performance. Again, I'm not a heavy gamer, and I don't audio/video edit (at least not any more), so they perform the same. And especially with what AMD is doing with their Trinity APU, I can run the aforementioned games on medium to high settings an average of 30-40FPS and watch HD video on multiple screens without the need of a discrete video card. So if I really wanted to, I could eliminate my desktop and find a laptop with AMD Trinity A-10 APU and just use that. However, I will not give up my ThinkPad and unfortunately, ThinkPad's don't support AMD APUs. Hopefully they do in the future.

The only advantage I can see in having a desktop is that it's easier to expand for future needs. I can add lots more RAM if I need more multitasking or memory and should I need to render audio/video, and a discrete GPU as well. When I mixed/mastered and produced music, desktop was the only way to go. I couldn't fit all the necessary components required to render and play back music and the speed and quality I wanted in a laptop. Nowadays, there's apps for iPad and such to record and mix music, even DJ apps. I've used them, and can't stand them. One reason is that they're very toned down limited versions of big brother software programs (again, see my above Quicken example). And two, I can't stand navigating and controlling something that requires quickness and precision with just touch. I need to use a mouse, and even then that's pushing it - my recording/production rig consisted mainly of hardware so I didn't have to force myself to be creative at the same time messing with mouse clicks all night long on a virtual interface; it was less inspiring for me at least. So, I can see why your musician friend alternates between several devices. There really is no replacement for that magnitude of processing power. Then again, if all you need to do is record a couple of (low quality) tracks and just messing around or brainstorming/jamming away, then yeah I can see why something like an iPad would be good in that regard since you can take it everywhere you go and just plug n play as you get inspiration. But, even then, I'd rather use a portable laptop via audio interface break out box for that...

So to get back to the OP's question:

I don't know.

Hopefully, my experience has given you enough insight to make your own decision.

For me, it comes down to having AT LEAST two devices:

- A tablet that I can just slip in a bag or pocket and take with me to kill time or entertain me
    - A robust laptop, that is powerful enough to replace a desktop, for productivity
    Last edited by JRAnciano; 12-28-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Thanked by:
    CairnsRock (01-02-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Still haven't decided yet. If I get a laptop, I wanna get one that is good enough to run things like Photoshop, movie making software etc. without any lag.
    My desktop pc is capable of those things but sometimes I just wanna sit back and do my projects etc. without any distractions at home and such.

I need to decide soon on what to get, too many dilemmas haha. Tablets and smartphones can sync together quite well too. I got my phone dilemma too between Samsung and BB. Courier came to pick up my phone today without any notice on the last day of my trial period, turned them down cause I haven't even backed up my stuff.
    CrackBerry Addict

1. Laptop - will get your work done more/quicker than any mobile / tablet. Also a more capable entertainment device (bigger screen = better movie experience, better games)
    2. Phone - a necessity
    3. Tablet - a luxury
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
    shemaree09, kbz1960 and raino like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by ankoil View Post
    Still haven't decided yet. If I get a laptop, I wanna get one that is good enough to run things like Photoshop, movie making software etc. without any lag.
    My desktop pc is capable of those things but sometimes I just wanna sit back and do my projects etc. without any distractions at home and such.

I need to decide soon on what to get, too many dilemmas haha. Tablets and smartphones can sync together quite well too. I got my phone dilemma too between Samsung and BB. Courier came to pick up my phone today without any notice on the last day of my trial period, turned them down cause I haven't even backed up my stuff.
    That being the case, get a laptop. A tablet would be fun to mess around with, but after the novelty wears off, you'd be better off with a laptop that you can actually get stuff done on.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...rs-use-756857/
    shemaree09 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vorpalz View Post
    My work PC monitor which handles multiple inputs. My PC input is through the DVI, I connect the Playbook to the HDMI cable I have already connected to the monitor. When I need instant magnification, I switch inputs.
    True enough as I connect my BlackBerry PlayBook to my HDTV monitor on my desk to watch lectures and movies. However, I when using the tablet away from home or office some people might have difficulty reading the smallish text (you can zoom in and out but that is not always appropriate) on the tablet. I am just thinking about the fact our vision acuity decreases with age and the transition to mobile computing platforms will have to address this eventually.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,979 Global Posts

I use my laptop as a desktop now (17" MB Pro to a 24" Cinema display), and the only time it leaves the monitor is for business travel, or to work outside of the room (rare). I use it to VPN to work from home when needed too. My PlayBook has become my main browsing device around the house. Portability can't be beat and the browser works great. My Bold9900 is with me almost all the time away from home and I use for coms only and weather and when home the bridge on the PlayBook allows me leave the phone plugged in somewhere in the house but still see and respond BBM, txt, and e-mails coming to the phone. Your use will be different so you have to find out what works best for you. Phones are too small to browse well for long periods of time, but tablets can't do everything a PC/Mac can either.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,473 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRAnciano View Post
    I've asked myself this several times. I keep looking for the "all-in-one" solution.

I haven't found one, yet.
    Have you looked at the Lenovo Yoga? I don't know how easy/smooth the folding feature is, but the product has been flying off the shelves. At 13", the screen: portability is great for a laptop, but it would be a huge a ss tablet.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

Great summary JR. I'm with you on typing/input need for a good large keyboard and that tablets and smartphones reduce the amount that you are willing to type. Hence the popularity of twitter et al.
    Thanked by:
    JR A (01-02-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeberry View Post
    1. Laptop - will get your work done more/quicker than any mobile / tablet. Also a more capable entertainment device (bigger screen = better movie experience, better games)
    2. Phone - a necessity
    3. Tablet - a luxury
    For me, the tablet (PlayBook of course) has replaced the laptop! I'm a uni student so all I take with me is a folder with bunch of paper in it and my tablet. Perfect combination of technology and traditional paper&pencil!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    Have you looked at the Lenovo Yoga? I don't know how easy/smooth the folding feature is, but the product has been flying off the shelves. At 13", the screen: portability is great for a laptop, but it would be a huge a ss tablet.
    Yes I have.

They've been flying off the shelves because either people really did their homework and bought a product that suits them; liked the novelty of a laptop-tablet; or bought whatever was featured by an advertisement/salesperson in store.

If I'm going to spend $1,000-$1,500, I want graphics better than Intel HD 4000...

The Yoga to me, is really just two separate devices that can be put together. It's a laptop with a tablet screen or a tablet with a keyboard accessory... And 13" is a sweet spot for me. I wouldn't mind taking it with me even in tablet form, just as long as it is light enough.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

A tablet will never fully replace a laptop. I would buy a laptop before a tablet.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    A tablet will never fully replace a laptop. I would buy a laptop before a tablet.

If I had a desktop already, then it'd be a toss up between a laptop and a tablet.

If I did not have a desktop, then laptop for sure before a tablet.