Now, if you want to use IM clients, you'll have to stay on the app in your iPhone, if you close it, you're disconnected. If your phone goes on idle (auto-lock), you're disconnected. I haven't used their simili-multitask yet, but I don't really believe it's that great..
    Not true. If you close an IM app signed in it keeps you signed in and sends you a push notification for a new message. The app doesnt need to stay open to keep you signed in or receiving messages.

Its no different than any other smartphone. Unless you keep the app open in the foreground, then youre just going to get a notification of a new IM and have to go back to the app to do anything about it. No difference if its open in multitasking or closed and you get a push notification. Either way you have to go back into the IM client on any smartphone to do anything.

In fact Apple gives you a leg up because you DONT have to go into the client to read the IM like you do on other platforms. The push notification says the text of the IM.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-28-10 at 02:49 PM.
    02-28-10 02:46 PM
    Yeah, that's what I meant by their "simili multi-tasking". It's not all that great actually. You have to reopen the whole app, and free apps won't let you have this signed-in capability. And, of course, it greatly affects battery life.

I'm just very anti-iPhone right now. The one I have is bugging, sluggish, with only two apps, and no jailbreak. I don't get it.
    02-28-10 03:10 PM
    ddesmondad,
    I believe you should consider two things for your mobile phone purchase.

1 being how efficiently and conveniently will it be to communicate with multiple family/friends at the same time (I.E. chatting on BBM, MSN messenger and SMS)
    2 How will that phone help you in your university career AND will it be able to do it's job all day long? Whether it be helping keep a busy day organized with an efficient and quick checklist, tapping into your student e-mail on the go from proff's or something (which will save your life on term papers etc) or keep you up to date with important appointments.

Which ever you choose I hope it's the right one for you! But I would personally choose a Blackberry, hands down.
    Goodluck!
    02-28-10 06:53 PM
    "Getting through the day" ie battery life will depend greatly person to person really.

No doubt the 9700 has a ton more lasting power, but I also personally dont have a problem getting through a full day with an iphone either. I can be done with the day with 50% or more left.

So unless you plan on not charging it every night which most people do it shouldnt be a huge issue by the sounds of OP's light usage.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-28-10 at 07:20 PM.
    02-28-10 07:14 PM
    Get the iPhone 3GS!

If you jailbreak, you can multi-task, customize themes, download EVERY thing out of the app store for FREE, have a 3.5" screen, etc.

The only downfall for the iPhone is the battery life is horrible. I have both the 3GS and 9700. I am testing the 9700 out for 5 days to see if I like it or not. If I like it, I will keep it until June/July when the new iPhone comes out.
    02-28-10 09:25 PM
    Yeah, that's what I meant by their "simili multi-tasking". It's not all that great actually. You have to reopen the whole app, and free apps won't let you have this signed-in capability. And, of course, it greatly affects battery life.

I'm just very anti-iPhone right now. The one I have is bugging, sluggish, with only two apps, and no jailbreak. I don't get it.
    Lol, hmm. Ever heard of ProSwitcher for the iPhone? Perhaps you need to jailbreak your iPhone. YouTube is your friend.
    02-28-10 09:27 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD