I had bought my mom the Blackberry Curve 8330 with Sprint for Mother's Day. The phone is horrible. I thought about exchanging it within the 30 days but since it is a blackberry I had faith in the phone. The curve shouldn't be a Blackberry it is more like a crappy Nokia phone. The games look cheap on this phone and it just shows an hourglass constantly so my mom can't use the phone half the time. I've deleted all the stuff you don't need on this phone and I even put in an 8GB memory card and it did not help this phone. So now for Christmas I am going to get her a new phone. Would you guys suggest the Blackberry Tour? My mom is with Sprint but they make me angry so I am thinking of canceling with Sprint and switching her to Verizon with me. Do you think I should keep my mom with Sprint or switch her to Verizon? Sprint is cheaper but they suck!
    08-22-09 05:53 PM
    If you are unhappy with an 8330, there is a very good chance you will be unhappy with a 9630. The 9630 has a higher resolution screen, which might help with your games, and more memory, which is always better, but it basically works the same as an 8330. You may even find it shows the hourglass MORE often than the Curve, just because its OS isn't as mature yet.

Don't get me wrong. I upgraded from an 8830 to a 9630 and like it very much. But I also liked my 8830. If you are starting from dissatisfaction, you have a longer way to go to be satisfied.
    08-22-09 06:05 PM
    Is it possible there was something wrong with her 8330? Lots of people on the boards have that phone and they love it. Maybe she got a bad one.
    08-22-09 06:19 PM
    That is what I am thinking too. I do a lot of research on phones before I purchase them and people seem to love the Curve so I got it. I've never been soo disappointed in a phone. But now since it is past the 30 day exchange period I know I will have to spend lots of money to get my mom a new phone.. I will see if Sprint will work with me. If not then I will switch her to Verizon because they have much beter customer service.
    08-22-09 06:25 PM
    Sprint is cheaper but they suck!
    like i told every person who's ever asked my opinion on wireless service, "you get what you pay for"

if you use your phone enough then you should consider it an investment, and a tool/resource. would you buy a high end import sports car and drive it on some crappy farm road in BFE?

no you wouldn't...

so if you really love your mother, you won't skimp on service or on the device
    08-22-09 06:40 PM
    Sprint is cheaper but they suck!
    Trying to pick a fight and turn this into a flame war?

It certainly sounds like the phone is having issues. My wife has an 8330M on Sprint that exhibits none of those issues. First thing I would try is swapping the phone for another one.
    08-22-09 08:50 PM
    If you were unhappy with that choice, it is unlikely you will be satisfied with a newer choice of the same nature. Sure, the Tour runs faster and smoother and has newer software and features, but in the end it is the same type of device. If you'd like to stick with BlackBerry and would like your Mom's phone to be a memorable experience, head to your local Verizon store and check out the Storm. I know I sound like an advertiser, I got the Storm I know...but I'm with Bell in Canada...I also got the Tour on Bell though. The Storm's entrance was nothing short of a flop due to less-than-desirable first-generation devices and software, but even then it had a fan base...and with the current .148 and .151 OS builds and phones, the Storm is better than ever and there are countless people switching from Tours to Storms. It's really like no other. RIM has never really been great at introducing devices properly, due to rushing them, though with time and a few software builds, their phones grow to be the best. That's what we want - the best- isn't it?
    08-22-09 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD