Hi everyone, I'm a newbie so forgive me if this topic is inappropriate or if I'm posting it in the wrong place.

I am in desperate need of a new phone. My dad thought the G1 was a nice phone for me, until he found out that you can't get it through T-Mobile without signing up for a data service package for 24.99/month. He has data service on his Blackberry Curve, but he has it through his company so he doesn't have to pay for it.

Anyway, I was planning on just buying a Nokia but then he heard the new Curve 8900 was coming out on the 11th of this month. He is now insisting I should get that.

My question is, since we are not signing up for data service, is there even really a point to buying a Blackberry at all? Meaning, is it worth it to get one even without the data service?
    02-03-09 06:15 PM
    You can use WiFi to browse, but I'm not sure you can do much else without having a BIS account, which you get when you sign up for a data plan. I could be wrong on this though, you might still be able to BBM and get e-mail without a data plan. I think programs like Beejive IM might work without a data plan as well.
    02-03-09 06:20 PM
    To me. It is pointless to get one without the data service because I'm always messaging and emailing with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 06:20 PM
    As long as you know the limitations of not having data and can live
    with them, then you should get whatever phone appeals to you.

Most "smartphones" work better and do so much more with a data
    plan of some sort though.

The 8900 will have Wi-Fi so there is still a considerable amount
    you can do even without data.

And if anyone says a BlackBerry without a data plan is like a
    (insert trite banality here) ignore them.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-03-09 at 06:25 PM.
    02-03-09 06:22 PM
    Does TMo let you get it without the data plan? (VZW does not) It has wifi so you would be able to get to use data that way, it also would be a good media player for you. As long as Tmo will let you get it without the data it's probably still worth it. Double check thou, they might require data. You might want to consider paying for the data yourself too, via a part time job, or extra chores, as the data is really what makes a BB so special.
    02-03-09 06:23 PM
    I suppose depending on the way you use your phone. Wifi works if you're constantly around it. Data isn't necessary if you don't need your internet or email.

But then why get a BB? There are other phones that do what you want minus the data plan.

I would research a little further and see what YOU want in your phone.

A BB isn't necessary for me at this point in time, but it's still the most wonderful phone I've ever owned
    02-03-09 06:25 PM
    There are plenty of people who insist that a blackberry is perfectly acceptable without a data plan. It seems to really hinge on how readily available wireless access is to the user. I, personally, am of the school of thought that it would be worthless.

HOWEVER, you could always add a data plan later if you want. If you don't have a blackberry that's not an option!

02-03-09 06:27 PM
    Does TMo let you get it without the data plan? (VZW does not) It has wifi so you would be able to get to use data that way, it also would be a good media player for you. As long as Tmo will let you get it without the data it's probably still worth it. Double check thou, they might require data. You might want to consider paying for the data yourself too, via a part time job, or extra chores, as the data is really what makes a BB so special.
    Yeah, I believe T-Mobile will let you activate a BB without a data plan. I think Verizon is the only carrier that doesn't. Maybe ATT as well?
    As long as you know the limitations of not having data and can live
    with them, then you should get whatever phone appeals to you.

Most "smartphones" work better and do so much more with a data
    plan of some sort though.

The 8900 will have Wi-Fi so there is still a considerable amount
    you can do even without data.

And if anyone says a BlackBerry without a data plan is like

Although a Blackberry will be used to it's full potential with a data plan, I don't see a problem with not getting one, as long as you fully understand what is limited by that, and what programs can use wifi.

Basically, as always, i agree with AG.
    Right, I understand there are a lot of useful capabilities on the phone that are not accessible without the data service. I asked the question because I was going to try to convince my dad to just get me a cheaper Nokia phone, but for some reason he's decided I should get a Blackberry and that's that.

But as Pashan pointed out, at least with a BB I'll have the option of data service at some point in the future if I wanted/could afford it.

Also, I have wireless pretty much everywhere I go day-to-day, except when I'm driving between school, home, etc. So at least I'll be able to use the wi-fi capabilities.

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I am going to stick with the BB because I have heard so many good things about it. Also I think my dad secretly wants us to have the same phone...he is always asking me to help him figure out how to use various features on his, so I'm guessing he thinks if I have a BB I'll learn how to do everything and can become his walking, talking instruction manual.
    02-03-09 06:33 PM
    And if anyone says a BlackBerry without a data plan is like a
    I used to think this way, but I guess I could see the point in getting one without a data plan, especially if you are around Wifi a lot. I use my phone on the train to/from work a lot, so a data plan is essential for me.
    02-03-09 06:35 PM
    get the blackberry 8900..... cuz u can still use wifi and you always have the option of upgrading your plan later if you chose to do so. (promotions that include data, etc.)
    02-03-09 06:43 PM
    i just dont see the point just to get a berry for the wifi, kindda nuts to me. but you can get one and than add a data package later if you choose. i would totally lost without my berry.
    02-03-09 07:03 PM
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie so forgive me if this topic is inappropriate or if I'm posting it in the wrong place.

I am in desperate need of a new phone. My dad thought the G1 was a nice phone for me, until he found out that you can't get it through T-Mobile without signing up for a data service package for 24.99/month. He has data service on his Blackberry Curve, but he has it through his company so he doesn't have to pay for it.

Anyway, I was planning on just buying a Nokia but then he heard the new Curve 8900 was coming out on the 11th of this month. He is now insisting I should get that.

My question is, since we are not signing up for data service, is there even really a point to buying a Blackberry at all? Meaning, is it worth it to get one even without the data service?

A lot of people here say that having a Blackberry with out internet is a bad idea. We all know that the Blackberry can do pretty much anything that we can ever want / need. Most of the must have Blackberry applications run on the internet which you would not have if you decided to go with the no data plan.
    On the other hand the Blackberry can still be a very powerful device with out the internet. If you have a busy life you can keep all your events in your calendar. If you are like me and constantly have to write some down to do later you can use the memo pad to do that. If you are in school and you teacher uses power point for class notes or test notes, you can load that onto your Blackberry and view the PowerPoint notes.
    So really what I�m trying to say is yes, internet on the Blackberry does make it a million times better but you don�t have to have internet to make the phone useful for every day life.
    02-03-09 07:07 PM
    I've thought long and hard about this, and come to realize there's two type of people in this world....

those with a blackberry, and those without.....

Thank god im one of those with one..
    02-03-09 07:12 PM
    Although a Blackberry will be used to it's full potential with a data plan, I don't see a problem with not getting one, as long as you fully understand what is limited by that, and what programs can use wifi.

Basically, as always, i agree with AG.
    I second that as well. I do not think I could use my BB without the data plan, but if that is what you have to do, then it will still be a great device to have.
    02-03-09 07:15 PM
    if you don't need email or web surfing at your fingertips, then i don't see a huge problem with not getting a data plan. if you compare it to a regular phone, it's a solid phone. it's very customizable (you can download some themes online, then get them on your phone through desktop manager - no data plan required), and i think you can download some games that don't require data to run (through your comp, then load through desktop manager as well)...

however, if you happen to be partial to nokias (my brother is... all of my other siblings have a blackberry but him), then its worth at looking at that as well...
    02-03-09 07:50 PM
    You need a data plan for sprint too.

02-03-09 08:19 PM
    Why does your dad think the Blackberry would be such a great choice? And does he realize that a blackberry without a data plan will not be able to do all the things that his blackberry does?

I mean, maybe he realizes that, but I would think he doesn't. He may just think the data refers to the actual web browser.

And like most people have said, check with T-Mobile to see if you could even have it without the data plan. If you can't have the G1 without the data, I doubt you could have the blackberry without the data either.
    02-03-09 08:53 PM
    If you dont want to pay for a data plan, you dont need a "smartphone."

claire
    02-03-09 09:13 PM
    I would say that if ur not a business guy who needs his emails with him all the time, don't get it. Most if not all providers require a data plan with a berry purchase anyway. Having internet is nice and all but it gets old. If you don't think you need all the business doodads, get something else.

02-03-09 09:43 PM
    If I had WiFi pretty much everywhere and could do pretty much anything via WiFi vs. a data plan, then I'd get the BB. Otherwise, I'd prefer a high end "dumb" phone.
    02-04-09 09:06 AM
    The comment about helping out your dad...you really can't help him out if you don't have a data plan because there are things that he can do that you won't be able to do.

Here's some info for you about using a BlackBerry without a data plan.

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ
    02-04-09 09:20 AM
    I've thought long and hard about this, and come to realize there's two type of people in this world....

those with a blackberry, and those without.....

Thank god im one of those with one..
    Im so glad I have a BB as well. lol
    02-04-09 09:43 AM
    You need a data plan for sprint too.

The only thing you really can't do without BIS is BBM. I helped my sister set up her BB on Sprint without BIS. The first thing we D/L was Opera mini... she loves it. She has the unlimited data/text.

What she loves most abt the BB even w/o BIS is.. it's pretty bulletproof.

That said...

Do you mean no BIS data plan or no data/text plan period? You can get varying data plans that AREN'T BIS (Blackberry internet service) from Sprint. IDK about T-Mobile.
    Last edited by jdoc77; 02-04-09 at 09:54 AM.
    02-04-09 09:50 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD