Because I can usually receive texts, but not reply to them, and I don't ever get emails when I am on a call. Sometimes when I end a call, a whole flood of emails and/or texts come through, but other times, I'll never receive any that were sent during that time.

I have a Curve 8330 on Sprint. Is that normal? Or is there something wrong with it? Thank you for any help!!!
    06-17-09 02:38 PM
    If your phone and carrier are 3G compatible, you should be able to do both simultaneously. Otherwise, no.
    06-17-09 02:40 PM
    Yeah, Sprint is 3G to the best of my knowledge... or at least that's what it says on those commercials.
    06-17-09 02:47 PM
    I have sprint as well and I can receive texts (& reply to them) as well as emails while on a call as long as I'm in a full coverage area, which is usually the case where I live.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 02:52 PM
    Sprint is CDMA, no simultaneous voice and data. Sorry.
    06-17-09 02:54 PM
    this is a common misconception. Only GSM 3G can do SVD ...not CDMA's although EVDO Rev A was initially rumoured to be capable...so if you are on Sprint/Verizon or the other CDMA carriers, you will not be able to have SVD...
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-17-09 at 06:14 PM.
    06-17-09 03:01 PM
    I can do this on Sprint but only the first few minutes of a call. And no emails or bbms come through while on a call.

06-17-09 03:15 PM
    only 3G can make calls and data at the same time.
    06-17-09 03:21 PM
    This is incorrect. kazmi has the correct answer above.
    06-17-09 03:25 PM
    I have a Sprint Curve 8330m and I am able to do both, even if just in 1X.
    06-17-09 05:14 PM
    Is there something besides 1X? Does it go to 2 or any other #? I was always curious about that.

06-17-09 05:23 PM
    No. It's only 1X or 1XEV (for EVDO).
    06-17-09 05:43 PM
    Depends on if they are coming in SMS or MMS. MMS won't come through when you are using voice.
    06-17-09 05:44 PM
    I'm with sprint & I pack a 8330. I get email & sms mms while using the phone. Never had a problem
    06-17-09 06:20 PM
    I too can recieve/send texts with Sprint while on the phone. Not sure if it matters if you are 1x or 1xev or not, never noticed.
    06-17-09 06:59 PM
    Yea we're able to send/receive text while on a phonecall.
    Not sure about email =\ , I know BlackBerry messenger wont work, AIM/MSN/Googletalk Disconnects if you're on the phone call for too long.
    06-17-09 09:02 PM
    funny thing about this is that I've been talking on the phone and surfing on CB wap forums while on wifi... at the same time!! I have a data plan as well
    06-17-09 09:06 PM
    I use EDGE but can still get SMS when I talk on the phone, it happens all the time. I think it's because SMS uses the same channel as voice communications, it piggy backs in a relatively unused portion of the voice channels.
    06-17-09 09:23 PM
    i have an 8330m from sprint and i can only send texts during the first few minutes of a call (But i can receive them for the whole call just cant reply after a while) or if im lucky for about 20 minutes into a call, but email is data and won't work if you're on call with sprint because sprint is CDMA as stated above and will cannot simultaneous use voice and data.. doesnt matter if you have all the signal in the world from sprint it just won't work.. as of now.

- i believe if you have an 8350i from sprint/nextel and are connected thru the wifi you should be able to use data and voice at the same time but only if you're connected via wifi.. not sure though, but i think it should..
    Last edited by yorkkid11; 06-18-09 at 01:29 AM. Reason: correcting
    06-18-09 01:28 AM
    this sucks because even if you're on a phonecall for a while your AIM/GTalk/Msn disconnects
    08-01-09 06:51 AM
    Anything regarding data, using your cell company's data plan... no go. Period.

If you have Wi-Fi, which is a bit unusual... Congrats. You have data. You -also- have something over us: another radio.

Texts run on the voice network side of things. So, if you're using your voice radio... you are utilizing your voice radio. Which means you can text. Sometimes, I can text 2 hours into a phone call. Sometimes I cannot after 10 minutes. Don't know why, never heard/saw an explanation, but I usually do receive..

Anyways, back to the question: using the cell provider's coverage on CDMA ONLY!! you can only text while on a call. Not data. Hence, no BBM. No IM. No crackberry.com. No E-mail. No Flash. (Oh, wait, you didn't have that anyways... that's okay, it's just an update away (like everything else))
    08-01-09 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD