With little ad dollars and very little brand awareness isn't it better for sales to have a brand name/ logo that is self explanatory and easy to understand at a glance such as Black Droid. I'm not sure Google would allow the green little guy to be painted black like a dark Knight. This would only be found on Android versions while keeping the Blackberry name separate and unattached to those phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 12:46 PM
    As long as high-quality PKB devices get released, I really don't care about the branding or even the company. As I see it, the PKB market is BlackBerry's niche and the only thing they still do that nobody else does. In most cases, like with VKB candybars, BlackBerry is outstripped by all the competition and matched for security by several.
    07-10-16 12:49 PM
    There are hundreds of phone manufacturers out there making droids. I think if they rebranded, then they would just get lost in the rest of them.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 01:51 PM
    There are hundreds of phone manufacturers out there making droids. I think if they rebranded, then they would just get lost in the rest of them.

Posted via CB10
    That's what's happening now. I don't feel like people understand this is new and that it has a security element to it. They see it as a a Blackberry powered by Android vs Android cloaked in BlackBerry armor it's slightly different and may convey the message to consumers and businesses more clearly.

Posted via CB10
    dilijasi likes this.
    07-10-16 03:00 PM
    Priv ads usually say something like "Secure Smartphone" so it's definitely a distinction they're trying to make.

PRIV - New BlackBerry Android Secure Smartphone -

I don't think removing or obscuring the "Android" part would be a good idea as it would probably benefit them more to have it. Many consumers, reps, etc know what Android is, if they change the branding they basically run into another "BB10" situation where they have to explain the basics.
    07-10-16 03:24 PM
    I don't think people will be fooled by it. Probably better they are open and honest about everything and be clear exactly what platform it runs.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-10-16 08:05 PM
    Priv ads usually say something like "Secure Smartphone" so it's definitely a distinction they're trying to make.

PRIV - New BlackBerry Android Secure Smartphone -

I don't think removing or obscuring the "Android" part would be a good idea as it would probably benefit them more to have it. Many consumers, reps, etc know what Android is, if they change the branding they basically run into another "BB10" situation where they have to explain the basics.
    It needs the "A-ndroid" moniker... because it means "A-pps"... :-|

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    07-25-16 12:21 AM
    Yeah, they need to call it Research in Motion. There is no way blackberry will ever be big on phones / consumer market. Remember Atari? Same story, they just need to continue their focus on software and wait for the first buyer to come along.
    07-25-16 06:07 PM
    Google won't allow an OHA device to change the Android name. That's why on boot you'll see the 'Powered by Android' line on any OHA handset now.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 05:03 AM
    Take an existing Android phone made by somebody else, rebrand it and put some extra software on it and sell it for a high margin - that's the strategy now.
    07-28-16 07:33 AM
    Take an existing Android phone made by somebody else, rebrand it and put some extra software on it and sell it for a high margin - that's the strategy now.
    BlackBerry clearly needs / wants $100 for their efforts. This amounts to $4/month over a two year term. I think it's fair for what you get.
    07-28-16 07:36 AM
    $100 extra for a hardened Android + Lots of security features and apps + BB's HUB and a Good near stock android with only useful BB apps.. All that is not worth it?.. I don't think its a high margin..

I can't imagine what pleases people.. I mean we all thought this device would be something like $350-400.. They really did a good pricing on it.. Even Tech websites out there praise the pricing since you get some real security + a very good commitment to pushing monthly security updates that are 2nd to only google now.. Even Motorola dropped the monthly security updates.
    07-28-16 09:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually... only Motorola makes Droids, as they are the only ones to license the "Droid" name from Disney (who now owns Lucasfilms). And I bet their deal is an exclusive one.

But yeah, lots of folks making Android phones. But I think Google is careful about how Android is used in branding these phones. You can't just put a Google or Android lable on the the phone and try and make it seem like this is a Google branded phone. Sticker with "powered by Android".... yeah. But Android in the NAME... that's probably a no no.

So no use of the name DROID without paying for it.
    No use of the name Android on the phone, other than where Google puts it.
    No use of the name Google on the phone.
    No trying to rebrand yourself and take advantage of already established brands. Might be a good time for BlackBerry to rebrand, but they'll have to come up with something all their own.
    07-28-16 09:47 AM
    $100 extra for a hardened Android + Lots of security features and apps + BB's HUB and a Good near stock android with only useful BB apps.. All that is not worth it?.. I don't think its a high margin..

I can't imagine what pleases people.. I mean we all thought this device would be something like $350-400.. They really did a good pricing on it.. Even Tech websites out there praise the pricing since you get some real security + a very good commitment to pushing monthly security updates that are 2nd to only google now.. Even Motorola dropped the monthly security updates.
    I hope it does well for them, would be interesting to see if they can make money without producing PKB devices.
    07-28-16 10:21 AM
    BlackBerry should re-brand "BlackBerry"...

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed.
    07-28-16 10:23 AM

You forgot to mention that the android-flavored BlackBerry devices receives monthly security updates, similar to Google's Nexus range.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    07-29-16 08:35 AM
    You forgot to mention that the android-flavored BlackBerry devices receives monthly security updates, similar to Google's Nexus range.

a very good commitment to pushing monthly security updates that are 2nd to only google now.. Even Motorola dropped the monthly security updates.
    07-29-16 09:14 AM