I think it would make it the ultimate business / prosumers device. Just make it a standard on all new phones....with a dedicated button.

Is it something that can be ran on BB's existing network?

Any thoughts?
    02-27-14 08:46 AM
    I personally do not have a need for PTT and would not like it installed by default on my phones. In fact, when VZW had it i would shrink the OS to remove it from my phone.
    02-27-14 08:58 AM
    Wtf is ptt? Anyways I probably don't want or need it

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 09:14 AM
    There are push to talk apps for people that need them. I used them a long time ago but not anymore.
    02-27-14 09:21 AM
    PTT was "a thing" 15 years ago, when voice minutes were hugely expensive and in short supply, and PTT plans were unlimited. Today, most people text instead, or, they, you know, CALL people if they want to use voice, and get an actual 2-way conversation instead of a slow, clumsy one-way-at-a-time PTT conversation. For that matter, I use VIDEO calling more and more myself.

PTT is going backwards IMO, and BB should be going forwards. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do that thing.
    02-27-14 10:16 AM
    Maybe they can add a CB radio too.

(Citizens Band not CrackBerry)
    02-27-14 10:20 AM
    While we are at it, let them out the classic snake game pre-installed and undeletable

Posted via CB10
    loyalIND and currentodysseys like this.
    02-27-14 10:22 AM
    While we are at it, let them out the classic snake game pre-installed and undeletable

Posted via CB10
    Hey I actually wouldn't mind having Brick Breaker and Word Mole back.
    currentodysseys and RAFA1 like this.
    02-27-14 10:27 AM
    Brick breaker is back

I'm qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry10 device
    02-27-14 10:32 AM
    I think that there is still a need for PTT for those in construction, emergency services and law enforcement.
    There are times that contacting a group all at once is paramount for safety and efficiency.
    There have been several posts in the past about baking PTT into BBM and I think it would be a viable solution.
    Of course there are those who say that it was fun 15 years ago and that may be the case for some but, there is need for it.
    If PTT was a dead fad then I don't think that apps like Voxer and Zello would have such a large user base.
    I would guess that a large part of that user base are construction workers and those in the emergency service(s) field who use those apps daily.
    Luckily with the new OS Voxer and Zello are now available to use on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    haringfish and flyingsolid like this.
    02-27-14 11:15 AM
    Exactly. I know there's a need for it and seeing how BlackBerry is going focusing more of their attention on enterprise market...why not? if you don't want to use it...don't bother. They could do like Voxer and incorporate GPS coordinates in every ptt so that you know where the message is coming from....I can see that being very useful.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 01:26 PM
    Yes!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 01:31 PM
    It doesn't seem like something that needs to be baked into the OS, especially if there are apps that can handle it for those who need it.
    02-27-14 05:21 PM
    PTT was and still is a great technology that serves a purpose in many sectors.

I used to work Physical Security 7 out of the last 10 years. Covered all levels including management. The best tool outside of our radios was our TELUS Motorola Mike phones. At times the cell signal was BETTER than our radios in a large building with 3 VERY tall show floors and 2 lower parkade levels depending where you were. They make for great audible or private conversations that happen in real time. I can't tell you how happy I was to have that tech at the time with me. Don't text, that cost money. Call if a emergency otherwise, Mike me. And that's how we did it.

It did have its cons though. The ability to select a contact and hit the PTT button and immediately broadcast your voice through the other persons phone instantly even if they were at a private function was abusable. Should only have the ability to "call" the person and wait for them to initiate conversing. I prefer using PTT than calling someone. For many members here, you haven't used that tech for the right reasons or seen a good example to understand that it's a great technology that shouldn't be talked down but rather appreciated for what it is and was.

I'm a fan of Chris Umiastowski and I enjoyed his article regarding PTT technology and agree that if BBM adopted and perfected the use of this technology through use of using a featured button or allowing customization of the center rocker/media key to be used for PTT, I think BlackBerry would gain even MORE business. Security, tradesman... it doesn't matter, great piece of tech that I loved using.
    haringfish and neoberry99 like this.
    02-27-14 05:58 PM
    I do think that they should bake it into BBM.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    02-27-14 06:23 PM
    I do think that they should bake it into BBM.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    This with an alert for PTT. So useful. Route it through BlackBerry NOC at no charge. Boom for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    03-04-14 06:07 PM
    I agree that it would be a good feature for BlackBerry to incorporate into future phones..

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    03-04-14 07:51 PM
    Is there a PTT app available for the Z30? Or Q10?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 07:53 PM
    I haven't found one that was as good as Nextel or Telus...
    03-04-14 09:58 PM
    Zello works on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    03-05-14 03:07 AM
    How can I download voxer to my BBQ10?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 10:55 AM
    The only cellular companies that do not offer push to talk is t-mobile. Everyone else has a download able application for it, they are just not making it available to blackberry10 users. Not too long ago it became available for iphones, ipad the ipod touch and the majority of android phones on AT&T. The only phones left out were windows mobile and blackberry handsets.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 11:24 AM
    Zello works awesome on my Z10 ... near real time PTT. Much better than Voxer. Even has the alert tones like the old Nextel. We use it quite a bit in my telecommunications installation business. Best app I've found for PTT ... Beats Voxer hands down. Always wished BBM had PTT ... gonna be hard to beat Zello.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 12:36 AM
    Blackberry should create the option to auto play the voice notes that would bring It closer to a PTT- Push To Talk feature. Adding this as a option within the setting would allow those that aren't interested in using it as a feature or are busy and don't want to be disturbed to not receive it out loud. I miss the old Nextel direct connect on Boost Mobile. Zello is a fantastic Walkie Talkie app. Another possibility would be if BBM could incorporate Zello into the BBM app like they did with Glympse. PTT is not dead I think it just has gotten a bad rap over the last few years. Despite laws here in NJ people continue to talk on their phones while they are driving which is reckless and dangerous. Studies have shown that it is just as bad as DWI. Well if you are driving and someone uses PTT to reach you it is much safer. No call to answer and you hear the message and can respond when it's safe to. With phone calls you either ignore it or answer the call which is a risk. With a call you are committed to talking and with PTT you are not. Say for example you are going to pick up a few things at the grocery store and your spouse discovered something else that is needed. PTT will work better then cellphone or text for relaying the message over and it will be much safer. PTT is very useful for for business groups as clearly evident if you research Zello. I do have and use Zello which, like I said before is fantastic but I would love to see BBM add a PTT feature of their own or at least incorporate Zello into BBM.
    miker476 likes this.
    06-13-14 09:08 AM
    I would imagine that most people have forgotten that blackberry has licensed ptt from Kodiak networks a very long time ago. The killer to ptt is the fact that the carriers here in the USA charge $5.00 per month for it, there is no marketing to promote it and it is not pee installed on any handset that is new other than those made specifically for ptt. It is available for every phone sold on AT&T as a download able option to include the apple ipad and ipod touch, can be used over wifi as well, but you will not find it available for blackberry 10.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 03:55 PM
32 12