I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Z10 not being released here until March (I'm in Australia). And even when it does get released here, it will be doled out at the whim of our two biggest carriers, Optus and Telstra. And when these carriers have a new release, they don't sell the phones unlocked or outright - they make more money with contracts. So, its only once the initial enthusiasm is waned that they sell outright. If at all.

So, with those constraints, and with the new knowledge that we are no longer required to have a special BIS plan through the carriers (oh, and this will encourage many many Apple users to get the Z10 too as they can swap out the sim card easier now) why can't I buy this handset unlocked and outright direct from the manufacturer?

Blackberry no longer should pander to the carriers. With BB10 comes liberation!
    02-01-13 09:35 PM
    Blackberry needs the carriers help marketing and pushing the phones.. and if they wish to maintain those relationships.. cutting them out and selling them directly is not a good way to do it.
    02-01-13 09:40 PM
    i think crackberry should have a secret store for it's members..
    02-01-13 09:42 PM
    I agree with you Kevin. Carrier love for BlackBerry is much more lip service than active. The rollout in the US has been severely damaged by carrier "testing" schedule. How is it that all of the phones given out to reviewers, influencers etc.are able to hook up to the network just fine? BlackBerry needs a way to sell product directly to the public separately from whatever marketing campaign is being run by the carriers. Somehow we need to wean off the complete and utter dependence on carriers for each and every phone sold. Even opening kiosk points of sale in airports and shopping malls where they can sell unlocked phones, Playbooks, Music gateways etc. Maybe add an ordering part to BlackBerry World where they'll ship direct to you. Something needs to be done somehow.
    02-01-13 10:10 PM
    i think crackberry should have a secret store for it's members..

https://shop.koodomobile.com/koodo-c...STL1003BK.html

$550 Z10

You will need friend/family in Canada(shipping), then have to figure out if it will work in your location.
    02-01-13 10:26 PM
    I agree with you Kevin. Carrier love for BlackBerry is much more lip service than active. The rollout in the US has been severely damaged by carrier "testing" schedule. How is it that all of the phones given out to reviewers, influencers etc.are able to hook up to the network just fine? BlackBerry needs a way to sell product directly to the public separately from whatever marketing campaign is being run by the carriers. Somehow we need to wean off the complete and utter dependence on carriers for each and every phone sold. Even opening kiosk points of sale in airports and shopping malls where they can sell unlocked phones, Playbooks, Music gateways etc. Maybe add an ordering part to BlackBerry World where they'll ship direct to you. Something needs to be done somehow.
    Google do it pretty well with their Google Play site. You can buy devices (when they are available!) direct through there too. I think it's a brilliant idea.
    02-01-13 10:35 PM
    I was under the impression that I can walk into an Apple store, and buy an unlocked iphone. Why not online with BlackBerry? Most people will still buy the carrier subsidized phone, so the carriers still make their inflated mark-ups. Those who are smart, and decide not to get locked in, should be able to buy direct.

John
    02-01-13 10:39 PM
    I was under the impression that I can walk into an Apple store, and buy an unlocked iphone. Why not online with BlackBerry? Most people will still buy the carrier subsidized phone, so the carriers still make their inflated mark-ups. Those who are smart, and decide not to get locked in, should be able to buy direct.

John
    Yep. You can. You can also buy unlocked iPhones from various resellers here in Australia. They are available virtually everywhere.
    02-01-13 10:49 PM
    Apple works with carriers in selling their I phones to consumers in their stores. If you do not already have a sim card you will still have to sign up for service with the carrier. AS far as i Know the carriers will still be getting the same monthly payment for data/voice/message as they get for a contract sold phone. I also believe the new Blackberry should test the waters and offer direct sales to consumers
    02-01-13 10:57 PM
    Apple works with carriers in selling their I phones to consumers in their stores. If you do not already have a sim card you will still have to sign up for service with the carrier. AS far as i Know the carriers will still be getting the same monthly payment for data/voice/message as they get for a contract sold phone. I also believe the new Blackberry should test the waters and offer direct sales to consumers
    Not any more. You can walk into a Apple store today and buy an unlocked no contract phone direct.
    02-01-13 11:00 PM