The name needs to be changed to BlackBerry. The more cool stuff under one name, the more successful your brand. Just saying..........
    02-25-13 10:13 PM
    i dont agree. QNX is its own thing. It runs in many industries and has nothing to do with BB nor does it share any likeness to the BB10 OS.
    02-25-13 10:18 PM
    I was at a funeral today and when I walked outside, the a/c unit had Samsung on it.......
    02-25-13 10:21 PM
    QNX stands for "Quick UNIX" Sounds cool to me and I don't have a clue as to what that means. .
    BB10 is a good enough name for the phone OS for now
    02-25-13 10:27 PM
    Amazing, I had no idea Samsung made Air Conditioners. It will be amazing when your BB10 phone is paired to your qnx powered AC. So are you saying it was a omen that Samsung will die?
    BergerKing and ubizmo like this.
    02-25-13 10:31 PM
    I changed the thread title to make it more descriptive
    02-25-13 10:54 PM
    For anyone interested, here is a little background info on the history of the "QNX" operating system. Parts of these exerts are taken from the guide " Getting Started with QNX Neutrino: A Guide For Real Time Programmers" by Rob Krten

Quote:
    QSS (QNX Software Systems) the company that created the QNX operating system, was founded in 1980 by
    Dan Dodge and Gordon Bell (both graduates of the University of Waterloo in Ontario,
    Canada). Initially, the company was called Quantum Software Systems Limited, and
    the product was called �QUNIX� (�Quantum UNIX�). After a polite letter from
    AT&T�s lawyers (who owned the �UNIX� trademark at the time), the product�s name
    changed to �QNX.� Some time after that, the company�s name itself changed to �QNX
    Software Systems� � in those days, everyone and their dog seemed to have a
    company called �Quantum� something or other.
    Unquote:

While BB10 OS is not "QNX"... it is based on "QNX" which was acquired by Blackberry in 2010.

Jon...
    02-26-13 01:38 AM
    QNX makes software for many applications and industries. It would not be appropriate or fitting to call software in slot machines or in nuclear plants "Blackberry".

I think it should stay how it is.
    02-26-13 01:40 AM
    Yup. Samsung makes a whole host of products, not just TVs and cell phones. Appliances, computers, vacuums, and more. BlackBerry isn't QNX, it makes use of QNX.
    02-26-13 01:47 AM
    straight up no,This aint some little software house they got status cannot rename them.
    02-26-13 06:20 AM
    Amazing, I had no idea Samsung made Air Conditioners. It will be amazing when your BB10 phone is paired to your qnx powered AC. So are you saying it was a omen that Samsung will die?
    Lo and behold....
    Samsung made more products than U could imagine.
    This us one of them. It belongs to my niece..
    Attached Thumbnails Should BB Change the QNX Name?-img-20130226-wa003.jpg  
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-26-13 06:29 AM
    I was at a funeral today and when I walked outside, the a/c unit had Samsung on it.......
    My Microwave is Samsung,..

and so is the excavator outside ... :-)
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-26-13 08:48 AM
    I am following the Mobile World Congress 2013 and after the AT&T/GM announcement, powered by QNX should have been powered by BlackBerry. It's time for BlackBerry to use their assets to show the world that BlackBerry is not just cell phones.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-26-13 08:52 AM
    Leaving the name as QNX lets them more easily become a SaaS company (easier to sell software to say Sony for a Japanese market) and pretty much what Android does. Removing or changing the name of QNX (which is an established name) would be like BlackBerry phones being rebranded as RIM phones....see that working? I dont. Name recognition is huge.
    tangyboy likes this.
    02-26-13 09:11 AM
    I'm not really sure they should change the name, especially since it is already embedded into so many systems. I do think they should start a market-awareness campaign. Could you imagine starting your car up and momentarily seeing the QNX logo in the bottom corner of the display? Maybe even evolve the QNX logo to incorporate some of the BlackBerry visuals (without changing the name). I think the subtle notices would create some benefit to brand awareness, and that could carry over to BB10 devices.
    02-26-13 11:37 AM
    Shortsighted in scope.
    02-26-13 11:49 AM
    I really don't see the point in all the name changing. Sure, sometimes if a brand is really re-invented it might sound cool and signify the change, but changing QNX to BlackBerry feels totally wrong. QNX is way more than BlackBerry at the moment and is, so I've heard, quite a strong brand on it's own. Why change that?
    02-26-13 12:58 PM
    I have to disagree, I think it would make it confusing for people who don't own a Blackberry, some less computer savvy people may think they NEED to use a blackberry to use the bluetooth in their car because it uses a Blackberry(QNX) system.

And it could also be negative for QNX if some people hate Blackberry. Not that most people know what QNX is anyways, but thats my thinking.
    02-26-13 01:08 PM
    I have to disagree, I think it would make it confusing for people who don't own a Blackberry, some less computer savvy people may think they NEED to use a blackberry to use the bluetooth in their car because it uses a Blackberry(QNX) system.

And it could also be negative for QNX if some people hate Blackberry. Not that most people know what QNX is anyways, but thats my thinking.

I think the opposite. The more you get your name out there, the better. BlackBerry bought QNX. Changing the name puts the BlackBerry brand everywhere QNX has been, and where QNX is going. Would have been awesome to see the BlackBerry Bentley vs the QNX Bentley. If we all want the brand to survive, the name has to get out there on everything imaginable. This is an easy way to show the world the BlackBerry is here, and it'll make us in the US have a much easier time defending the brand. It's really about having a conversation about what does or what can your company do. I would love to say BLACKBERRY is in space. Apple? Android? Even though I can say it now, it doesn't resonate because it's QNX. Get it?
    anon(4018671), LoganSix and joe_23 like this.
    02-26-13 02:07 PM
    No.
    while you can say Blackberry 10 is QNX, technically, you cant say QNX is Blackberry.
    i dont think anything should change but it would make more sense to change blackberry name to QNX.
    02-26-13 02:14 PM
    I see it as this.

If BlackBerry wants to expand its brand and get people think about what is going on and leverages the Machine (BB10) to Machine (QNX Neutrino) capabilities, then they should change QNX to BlackBerry. Then when people see something that runs on BlackBerry Neutrino, they will think BlackBerry and then they will wonder if they can connect their BB10 phone to it.
    Stephen Cooper likes this.
    02-26-13 02:20 PM
    And another thing....BlackBerry needs to work closer with the QNX side.
    Partner integrations

By providing preassembled reference implementations, QNX CAR allows customers to skip first-level integration efforts and to work immediately on product development and differentiation.
    Partner Integration
    Apple iPhone/iPod multimedia integration
    Vlingo/AT&T Watson cloud-based natural language voice rec + TTS
    Pandora streaming internet radio
    Poynt location based services
    PacketVideo DLNA stack for Android mobile integration

BlackBerry 10 integration should come standard on all infotainment systems sold by QNX.
    Balti43 likes this.
    02-26-13 02:24 PM
    OP I really really do agree with you!

BlackBerry had has a chance to BOLDLY put their name out there with confidence.

Whatever QNX is doing right now, all that should be associated with brand BlackBerry. Having 2 names only dilutes perception of the technology and it misses an opportunity to stealthily bring BB into the industrial arena. They should look at having two divisions similar to Samsung like having a BlackBerry Industrial Division represented by QNX.
    02-26-13 02:37 PM
    Samsung even make tankers, ocean going vessels and oil drilling rigs. But, I don't think they come with an S Pen
    02-26-13 02:45 PM
    As someone mentioned, i dont want to say that BlackBerry is running nuclear power plants. Just doesnt convey the correct feeling you are going for
    randall2580 and adjdudley21 like this.
    02-26-13 02:49 PM
43 12