So went shopping today for a new phone for my mother in law to be. What a farce.

Bestbuy canada had no q10 or q5 or z10... Only a z30 bell!!, my mil wanted a keyboard phone as she has an old slider!!

So eliminating all windows phone with stupid tile interface and no keyboard blackberries and no blackberry there from rogers left us with no choice but to

iPhone 4 and Samsung s4 as they were both free on a committed plan.

Since she was familiar with android from her old slider... And the iPhone screen being so small...

Really had no choice what to choose. Maybe an htc 1 but she has a galaxy pad so made it straight forward.

So shame on blackberry .. No rogers phones in gta bestbuy. If you can't them there, what in the world. Second largest city in Ontario and probably 4th in Canada. Shameful and truly embarrassing for bb. Get bb10 in hands of sales people to show them how good bb10 is after 10.2... Give them demo phones for a week.....at least one of the sales guy owned and liked his z10.

No sliders anywhere... By anyone. Wth.

Every phone looked the same full touch basically all the same size or slightly bigger samsungs like the note etc. what a boring sad state and no interesting devices.

Shame on Samsung too... Live demos of the note barely worked and mad me laugh at how horrid they were using the stylus.

Shame on iPhone ..having stuck to that form factor.. Look like toys compared to samsung screen size. For some reason I don't mind q10 screen on the device but holding a iphone5 made me laugh at its size after holding the htc one and Samsung s5...

Shame on android, what a crappy os.

If blackberry finally decides to show in retail again and bang out a z30s ie better specs, passport and classic.... There's a real chance to gain hugely with effective proper marketing ie paid reviews by big bloggers, news outlets and mags they have a legitimate shot at getting 10% market share as the market is soooooo stagnant. I was sooooooo put off by the whole section.

Slugging it out with my q10 until I can do a head 2 head with a passport and classic. 99% sure classic will be the winner for me.
    07-20-14 09:29 PM
    "Slugging"? Pal, if you mean to say your Q10 is slow, I can only imagine you're using it wrong...

I too buy my mother Android phones. She is used to the OS. I am happy that she can use that already. There is BBM there and she uses so little of the OS/apps I don't see the point to force her into BB10. I too don't see BB10 devices here, at all.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-20-14 09:35 PM
    "Slugging"? Pal, if you mean to say your Q10 is slow, I can only imagine you're using it wrong...

I too buy my mother Android phones. She is used to the OS. I am happy that she can use that already. There is BBM there and she uses so little of the OS/apps I don't see the point to force her into BB10. I too don't see BB10 devices here, at all.
    Slugging it because I hate not having the trackpad and call buttons!!, annoyed me since day one and still continues too... Miss my 9900 but accept bb10 is better just not as efficient due to the devices being compromised for touch by previous administration mess ups. I tought I could live with it or get used to it but haven't and can't. Not enough to jump but enough to annoy me every time I try to call someone directly from a txt msg... Or hangup a call when screen blackout etc... Don't even get me started on selecting txt to copy and paste... Even something like when I download an email msg and download pictures from a newsletter.... Why can't I save the MSG with the images ie banana republic emails. Why every time I open the darn coupon do I need to redownload the images!!, insane . Was soooo nice to just save msg after download in bbos.
    07-20-14 09:38 PM
    They put out phones and nobody bought them, retailers aren't about to buy a lot of product just to have it sit on their shelves collecting dust. I agree, BB really dropped the ball on this.... BB10 is a great platform but nobody knows this but us here on the forum.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    07-20-14 09:42 PM
    I hope someone sr. At blackberry reads my post and private msg me. I'm embarrassed that they can't even get presence in. 100 stores in their backyard. Not holding my breathe.

Still shocked at how uniform and uninteresting all the devices are from every carrier. Was zero wow factor even a ... That's neat. Seems more effort is made in protective cases then in devices.
    07-20-14 09:51 PM
    Best buy and future shop the same company have Q5/10/Z30 available in Canada:
    Dundas/Yonge,
    Keele/St. Claire
    Dufferin Mall

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    07-20-14 10:32 PM
    Best buy and future shop the same company have Q5/10/Z30 available in Canada:
    Dundas/Yonge,
    Keele/St. Claire
    Dufferin Mall

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    Need to stop by heartland for a cover as they didn't have one there so we I'll see if chain wide. Either way, still bad that so few options exist and expecting customers to seek out a unit is lunacy anywhere in the gta at a bestbuy-future shop.
    07-20-14 10:39 PM
    It's not really BlackBerry's fault if retailers decide not to carry BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 10:48 PM
    It's not retailers fault either if there's no demand for BB10 phones. It's chicken and egg vicious cycle of debate all over again.
    TgeekB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    07-20-14 10:53 PM
    If you look around you can find BlackBerry phones. Of course some stores won't carry them. I'm not sure why you would just call your carrier and they can mail the phone to you. I know with Rogers it's about a 2-3 days to ship. Or at least they could most likely tell you which stores had the phones.

Not rocket science

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 11:07 PM
    If you look around you can find BlackBerry phones. Of course some stores won't carry them. I'm not sure why you would just call your carrier and they can mail the phone to you. I know with Rogers it's about a 2-3 days to ship. Or at least they could most likely tell you which stores had the phones.

Not rocket science

Posted via CB10
    Huh. How is a new customer supposed to know what they want if they can't see it or touch it. I'd be all over an iPhone just from hype and advertising if I had never held it. Especially when you have someone your helping get a new device who isn't techno oriented and just wants something that works for them ie a slider
    07-20-14 11:31 PM
    It's not retailers fault either if there's no demand for BB10 phones. It's chicken and egg vicious cycle of debate all over again.
    Oh please... I'd love to see stats on all the androids and windows phone, I bet easy 80% come just 3 models from what I witnessed today so it's hardly a pissing match on the table for a front shop as big as bestbuy to have 3 blackberry phones out there. It's more that bb sales reps are not convincing enough. Everyone that actually uses my phone says wow, thought from what media says is that it's dead and crap and surprised how well it works and no app gap to android. If sales staff actually could use it for a while, be easier then just always recommending a bs samsung plastic device.
    07-20-14 11:34 PM
    No trouble seeing BlackBerry devices in Oshawa and the rest of Durham Region except for walmart but wouldn't buy a cell phone from walmart anyways

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-20-14 11:46 PM
    Huh. How is a new customer supposed to know what they want if they can't see it or touch it. I'd be all over an iPhone just from hype and advertising if I had never held it. Especially when you have someone your helping get a new device who isn't techno oriented and just wants something that works for them ie a slider
    If it was that much of a big deal you would have went to a actually carrier store, or even checked out a different store to see if they had BlackBerry. Just because the one store you looked at doesn't have BlackBerry doesn't mean the others don't.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 07:10 AM
    Oh please... I'd love to see stats on all the androids and windows phone, I bet easy 80% come just 3 models from what I witnessed today so it's hardly a pissing match on the table for a front shop as big as bestbuy to have 3 blackberry phones out there. It's more that bb sales reps are not convincing enough. Everyone that actually uses my phone says wow, thought from what media says is that it's dead and crap and surprised how well it works and no app gap to android. If sales staff actually could use it for a while, be easier then just always recommending a bs samsung plastic device.
    Trust me, if 50 people came into a store today looking for a blackberry they would immediately set up a Display of them. It has nothing to do with the sales people, the Media, etc.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    JeepBB and Tre Lawrence like this.
    07-21-14 08:15 AM
    Trust me, if 50 people came into a store today looking for a blackberry they would immediately set up a Display of them. It has nothing to do with the sales people, the Media, etc.

Absolutely false. LOL I guess you haven't been in a Best Buy or any big box electronic retailer in years. I can't remember the last time a sales person fed me real information about BlackBerry without pissing off a customer that specifically asked to see a working unit on display.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-21-14 08:27 AM
    Why didn't you just shop around ? Best buy is garbage for mobiles
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-21-14 08:36 AM
    Absolutely false. LOL I guess you haven't been in a Best Buy or any big box electronic retailer in years. I can't remember the last time a sales person fed me real information about BlackBerry without pissing off a customer that specifically asked to see a working unit on display.

Posted via CB10
    I was in best buy yesterday buying a new keyboard for my computer. I guess you didn't see me there. 😉

To say demand has nothing to do with it is the only absolutely false statement. Your last statement may be true but it doesn't happen enough or anywhere near as often as people asking about IPhone and Android. That is the real Problem.

JeepBB likes this.
    07-21-14 08:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    There were 49 other BB-seeking customers there with you?

Of course what TG wrote is accurate. If there was demand, the carriers would display them LOL.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-21-14 08:52 AM
    The cycle really isn't as difficult to break as often implied. Tons of downward companies recover all the time.

The reality of the situation is that Blackberry has changed but it is not clear whether it changed necessarily for the better. I know Blackberry had to move on from BB OS7; but, whatever the final product of BB10 and BB10 handsets is certainly isn't wowing away consumers. BB10 is still too similar to iOS/Android without offering enough incentive to make the jump over.

If Blackberry ever does come up with a new compelling product, I think it could make waves, though.
    07-21-14 10:58 AM
    Do you think the Z30 and Z10 are going to somehow standout a part from the other touchscreen phones?
    07-21-14 11:13 AM
    Did you try getting it online?

BB Proud
    07-21-14 11:25 AM
    Why didn't you just shop around ? Best buy is garbage for mobiles
    Simple, older people don't have patience to look around. Closest retailer to her. Figured someone like a bestbuy would have every model... Wrong.
    07-21-14 01:50 PM
    OP should have advised his MIL about the hidden fees when you buy zero down on a contract. An unlocked Z10 , Q5 or Q10 from BlackBerry would have been cheaper.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-21-14 01:52 PM
    Did you try getting it online?

BB Proud
    Lol. Like I said, she wanted to see, touch and compare... Can't exactly do that online and wanted it immediately setup. Her existing phone was acting up.
    07-21-14 01:56 PM
42 12