Here's the Shift I've noticed (and growing concern) with Cross Platform BBM..... ready?..... It's the people. Well, to be honest I'm not sure if it's the "character" of those first time BBM users from iOS and Android or the absolutely **** poor BBM app and it's atrocious integration into those mentioned OS's. Back when BBM was just BlackBerry the "character" of those people who became personal contacts or members of groups was.... how do I say.... mature and unique. Now it seems that forums here and elsewhere are littered with young , immature and just juvenile personalities. Even when you find a "quality" XBBM contact their response time in PM or in group is painfully long.... only because XBBM's app, integration and notifications is awful. My questions are 1. Are there any BlackBerry loyalists left? 2. Anyone else notice this shift in "quality" of people on BBM?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:23 PM
    This harkens the "iPhone only" instagram folks when it went onto android

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:26 PM
    I am a loyal BB . But, I don't answer all the time because I'm constantly busy with work. I don't think only youths don't answer much, I think it's everyone. But my opinion is like always, neither here nor there.

Hope you enjoy your bb
    12-29-13 07:27 PM
    OP welcome to the world of Zero social graces! I know exactly what you are talking about.

A sad commentary on today's society that most young people have no idea about.

Rest assured my kids know how they are supposed to interact with other people of all ages.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    12-29-13 07:36 PM
    This harkens the "iPhone only" instagram folks when it went onto android

Posted via CB10
    I beg to differ. Instagram was always intended to be a mass social app across all platforms. BBM is (was) a dedicated messaging service absolutely dedicated to a singular platform. Comparing BBM to Instagram is extremely flawed. We'll talk when iMessage goes Xplatform. Thanks for your input though. Much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:49 PM
    I am a loyal BB . But, I don't answer all the time because I'm constantly busy with work. I don't think only youths don't answer much, I think it's everyone. But my opinion is like always, neither here nor there.

Hope you enjoy your bb
    I apologize. I perhaps should have clarified better. As far as the timely responses go... I'm probably speaking more of the poor integration of notifications on other platforms. I have several XBBM Tell me that they're not notified until at least 15-20 after I've sent. Also, very nice to meet you. Us BlackBerry loyalists are an exceedingly rare breed.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:52 PM
    I apologize. I perhaps should have clarified better. As far as the timely responses go... I'm probably speaking more of the poor integration of notifications on other platforms. I have several XBBM Tell me that they're not notified until at least 15-20 after I've sent. Also, very nice to meet you. Us BlackBerry loyalists are an exceedingly rare breed.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with the point you just stated. Thumbs up buddy

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 07:57 PM
    OP welcome to the world of Zero social graces! I know exactly what you are talking about.

A sad commentary on today's society that most young people have no idea about.

Rest assured my kids know how they are supposed to interact with other people of all ages.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    That's Fantastic. Would your kids care to join my group? Lol

Posted via CB10
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    12-29-13 07:57 PM
    Ya. The integration of bbm in iOS and android needs a little work especially in terms of notification. BBM has to be open/running in background for them to receive the msg. I'm not sure how whatsapp is integrated but the user should be notified when a msg arrive whether BBM is open or close. They could add a notification that says, 'bbm must be running to receive notification' whenever the user attemps to close the app and obviously the user has to acknowledge it.

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    12-29-13 08:51 PM
    Ya. The integration of bbm in iOS and android needs a little work especially in terms of notification. BBM has to be open/running in background for them to receive the msg. I'm not sure how whatsapp is integrated but the user should be notified when a msg arrive whether BBM is open or close. They could add a notification that says, 'bbm must be running to receive notification' whenever the user attemps to close the app and obviously the user has to acknowledge it.

It does not have to be open for them to receive a notification. At least not in ios. If your contacts are saying this, tell them to check their notification settings on their iPhone (not bbm itself) and turn it on for BBM.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:55 PM
    I beg to differ. Instagram was always intended to be a mass social app across all platforms. BBM is (was) a dedicated messaging service absolutely dedicated to a singular platform. Comparing BBM to Instagram is extremely flawed. We'll talk when iMessage goes Xplatform. Thanks for your input though. Much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    Love the passive aggressiveness. Thank you, we will talk soon

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 09:03 PM
    Any attitude you receive from an IM user is based on the person or persons you're giving out your contact information to.

I can myself state with the utmost confidence that even before cross platform BBM... BBM had it's fair share of immature users. The issue isn't other platform users "soiling the pool" so to speak. It's the willy nilly nature some people have in handing out their contact info. I can't count how many times pre iphone/android days when Blackberry was the predominate mobile game in town (and subsequently after the platform wars heated up), where I'd accept BBM requests only to immediately turn around and block them as soon as I got the "age/sex/location" requests.

Any instant messenger service is the same. Give your information to Tools... you receive Tool chat messages. That simple.
    12-29-13 09:06 PM
    Love the passive aggressiveness. Thank you, we will talk soon

Posted via CB10
    Lol. I see what you did there.... well played my friend.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 09:06 PM
    It does not have to be open for them to receive a notification. At least not in ios. If your contacts are saying this, tell them to check their notification settings on their iPhone (not bbm itself) and turn it on for BBM.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose that's the root of my problem.... it just doesn't work. the second you have to "go here" "do this" "change that" is when it becomes a huge problem. thanks for bringing that up.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 09:08 PM
    Any attitude you receive from an IM user is based on the person or persons you're giving out your contact information to.

I can myself state with the utmost confidence that even before cross platform BBM... BBM had it's fair share of immature users. The issue isn't other platform users "soiling the pool" so to speak. It's the willy nilly nature some people have in handing out their contact info. I can't count how many times pre iphone/android days when Blackberry was the predominate mobile game in town (and subsequently after the platform wars heated up), where I'd accept BBM requests only to immediately turn around and block them as soon as I got the "age/sex/location" requests.

Any instant messenger service is the same. Give your information to Tools... you receive Tool chat messages. That simple.
    I agree with most of your points. Although, I still hold firm on my belief that XBBM has injected more "willy-nilly" tools.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 09:12 PM
    I agree with most of your points. Although, I still hold firm on my belief that XBBM has injected more "willy-nilly" tools.
    I wouldn't say that's an XBBM issue. It's more a result of the proliferation of users sharing their BBIDS in "Hey! Share your BBID's here!" threads, or posting them in forum signatures for anybody to see (or embedded in their QR code avatars) etc.. instead of exercising a modicum of control and only handing out their ID's to people they know and trust.

[edit]Incidentally, It's funny how much information you can glean about forum members with QR code Avatars when the user isn't paying attention to what they encoded in it. On the flip side though... it's really funny what some people encode in them (some really funny links from time to time).
    blackmoe likes this.
    12-29-13 09:18 PM
    I suppose that's the root of my problem.... it just doesn't work. the second you have to "go here" "do this" "change that" is when it becomes a huge problem. thanks for bringing that up.

Posted via CB10
    iOS has notification settings for many apps not just bbm. It's not a complicated "go here" and "do that".
    12-29-13 09:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Arguably it is a safety/prudence issue to have certain settings off by default for all apps.
    12-29-13 09:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Cool. Thx. Maybe they don't fully know how to use their own device. Lol. I'll have to ask them.

ray689 likes this.
    12-29-13 10:19 PM
    Cool. Thx. Maybe they don't fully know how to use their own device. Lol. I'll have to ask them.

No problem. Hope that helps your contacts out.
    12-29-13 10:21 PM
    I love BBM. I use it all the time.
    12-29-13 10:46 PM
    The caliber of BBM contacts was on the decline long before BBM went cross platform...
    12-29-13 10:49 PM
    I think blackberry should try and integrate bbm throughout the rest of the web ala disqus. My bbm contact list is low as sh*t. I tried to get my siblings/friends to join, however they feel whatsapp/hangouts and Facebook is fine.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    Amy wineBerry and Bsbudd like this.
    12-29-13 10:54 PM
    The caliber of BBM contacts was on the decline long before BBM went cross platform...
    Ouch! That actually kinda stung Amy. Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:05 PM
    I think blackberry should try and integrate bbm throughout the rest of the web ala disqus. My bbm contact list is low as sh*t. I tried to get my siblings/friends to join, however they feel whatsapp/hangouts and Facebook is fine.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Quite unfortunate. That's a really popular sentiment.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:10 PM
26 12