Ok iam sure there is another thread but iam in a hurry to post this as iam at work...I went out today and i was in a area that dont go to alot(off road driving) and i was on roam but the no service i went out with a full battery and about 5hrs later with no use my battery was dead i did have the GPS on but i only put it on for today. I know i read on one of the other post that the GPS could drain the battery..ANYONE????
    04-18-09 06:15 PM
    There's a lot of info missing here. Did you turn your GPS off and find that the problem was solved? Did you install any apps that use GPS and have those open--or did you just have it turned on.

You could do a search on your topic as well, it seems like thousands of people have posted threads like yours and many of them have found solutions
    04-18-09 06:20 PM
    Also, when you are in a remote area with weak signal, oftentimes the BB is constantly switching between 1XEV and 1xev, or whatever to find an EVDO signal. This can drain the battery more rapidly.
    04-18-09 06:25 PM
    With 5 hours off-network and continuously searching for a signal it is no surprise your battery is dead.

The GPS receiver itself will not have a significant impact, but any mapping apps will have been making regular requests for data. Even if the normal network search routine tries to reduce loading by only searching at intervals, a mapping app might provoke a new search every few seconds. You would actually have better life if the network was available and it downloaded the maps without problems.

Your SAR sig line is noted . For the lurkers, if GPS/map is critical for navigation in remote areas I strongly recommend you invest in a dedicated GPS which can take vehicle power, and also backup with a compass and paper map which will not fail even if you drop it.
    04-18-09 06:33 PM
    There's a lot of info missing here. Did you turn your GPS off and find that the problem was solved? Did you install any apps that use GPS and have those open--or did you just have it turned on.

You could do a search on your topic as well, it seems like thousands of people have posted threads like yours and many of them have found solutions

yay for reading comprehension.

on topic, most likely it drained fast because it was constantly searching for a connection, as others have said.
    04-18-09 06:38 PM
    Ya my GPS for the phone was on i dont have that program on my cell. I find a Regular GPS is the best way to go and a compass is even better..Hmmmm...Ok heres another thing my wifes cell the same phone as me same battery usage and all and she came home with 30% verses me 1%.....
    04-18-09 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD