View Poll Results: Do you use your BlackBerry while driving?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never! Driving and BlackBerrying don't mix

96 12.96%
  • Only at stoplights

98 13.23%
  • I talk on the phone while driving

277 37.38%
  • I email/text/message people while driving

94 12.69%
  • I do whatever I want

176 23.75%
12-31-07 12:07 AM
724 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I generally talk on the phone. Texting and e-mailing should probably be a ticketable offense, but then again so shouldnt driving with a dog on your lap, but I see that all the time too.
    12-11-07 09:46 AM
    I think that it might not be a bad idea to have people use hands free devices while driving. I find that I can drive and carry on a conversation with my bluetooth headset but I get distracted when I have to put the phone up to my ear.
    12-11-07 09:57 AM
    I personally think headsets should be required while talking on the phone and all texting, emailing etc. should be banned.
    12-11-07 10:26 AM
    Yes and no...the use of a headset makes me feel better about driving and talking...texting and driving is just scary! Im embarassed to say, however, Im being a little hippocritical right now!
    12-11-07 10:30 AM
    I feel some laws should be passed but I also think a new Anti Cell Phone police division should be established in order to bust all the police that talk and drive in states that already have laws passed IE the last time I was in NJ and the trooper that blew by me going about 90 while on his phone rushing to the donut shop.
    12-11-07 10:33 AM
    The answer is a resounding "no". Age limits do make sense though. To exclude minors from cell phone usage while driving due to their statistically higher frequency of accidents. I think that the headset law that California and some other states passed is an acceptable compromise, but what a pain in the rear!

Next thing you know they'll be passing laws to exclude GPS displays in cars...
    12-11-07 10:44 AM
    I only use my phone while driving and while using my hands free headset. If I don't have them, I use speaker phone. I always have two hands on the wheel.
    12-11-07 11:32 AM
    That is why the inventers of Cellphones and Blackberries created Bluetooth headsets and car hook ups for hands-free usage. I mean it is distracting to use your phone/blackberry in a car... but you don't really need to text-and-drive do you? (although my hubby will probably give me slack for that...lol ) I really try to discourage use of the blackberry in the car... you could get hurt... not mention it is less stressful answering an email that bothers you at the office rather that freak out in the car... LOL
    12-11-07 11:40 AM
    its dangerous to people around you so **** ya no cell phones while driving unless your on bluetooth
    12-11-07 11:57 AM
    hands-free devices should be mandatory. not only are you endangering your own life but the life of others by being distracted while driving.
    12-11-07 12:06 PM
    I don't know how they would enforce it. But as a safety precaution I know that I should not talk while driving or I should have my bluetooth on. That will be a tough issue for "law enforcement" to address.
    12-11-07 12:10 PM
    i say no because unfourtnately i text and drive at the same time cuz i can never put my curve down even when im not texting it sits in my lap just in case
    12-11-07 12:13 PM
    I think handsfree should be mandatory, although the research shows it is just as distracting as holding the phone....
    12-11-07 12:24 PM
    I can't tell you how many near-misses I've had or seen because of folks plastering a cell/BB to their head while driving. It creates a visual obstruction at the very least.

Hands-free should be the only legal way to go. To me, that's no different than having a conversation with someone in the car.

And no texting/emailing. That takes way too much visual focus off the road.
    12-11-07 12:56 PM
    I have mixed reviews on this subject but im as guilty as everyone else out there. esp since i text and drive in rush hour traffic every night on my way home. I think if they pass a law though that it should ban holding a cellphone/blackberry in your hand but either built in hands free or bluetooth headsets should be permited.
    12-11-07 01:01 PM
    Yes. There are plenty of handsfree options out there. No life is worth risking for the sake of making a phone call.
    12-11-07 01:21 PM
    I think this would be very difficult to enforce. Plus talking on the phone isn't the problem the problem is distraction. So if you are having an important conversation, pull over. If you are just b.s. get a hands free solution.

I know people who do text while driving and that is flipping CRAZY!
    12-11-07 02:10 PM
    Shame of me for multi-tasking while I"m on my bb phone talking texting and watching TV. Keep the Government out of our business... I do think we should use a hand free device while driving because I've had one too many close calls. Shame on me.
    12-11-07 03:44 PM
    It's not a matter of should the government make it illegal. Where I live they already have. Starting in 2008 anyone caught using their cell phone or sending a text message is subject to a citation.

I guess only time will tell if it helps lower accidents.
    12-11-07 04:15 PM
    Dont drive, so I can use it wherever I want... but yes handsfree should be used while driving...
    12-11-07 04:42 PM
    here in CA there's a law about cell phones requiring a headset. Considering that the last accident i was in involved someone on their cell phone not looking and hitting me, I am in favor of pushing for hands-free phone usage while driving.
    12-11-07 05:47 PM

Should the government pass laws making BlackBerry/cell phone usage illegal while driving?
    I think there should be laws that make non-"hands free" cell phone usage illegal. I use a bluetooth headset, which for me is no different than speaking to a person that is in the car with me. I text/email only at stoplights or when my car is not moving (traffic)
    12-11-07 06:11 PM
    yes the government should not only make BB talking illegal while driving, but all phones for that matter. The only caveat to this statement is if your wearing a bluetooth handsfree headset, in that case, talk away!
    12-11-07 08:16 PM
    There are more important things for them to be policing then cell phone usage.

People are who cause accidents.
    12-11-07 09:22 PM
    I am amazed to see every day the number of people driving with a cellphone held up to their ear. Even without bluetooth headsets, every phone pretty much comes with an earpiece these days so why do at least half the drivers I see on my daily commute choose not to use anything to make their drive a little safer?

It's a tough thing to police but seat belt use is mandatory so why not require some form of handsfree device for cellphone users?
    12-11-07 09:34 PM
724 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD