View Poll Results: Do you use your BlackBerry while driving?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never! Driving and BlackBerrying don't mix

96 12.96%
  • Only at stoplights

98 13.23%
  • I talk on the phone while driving

277 37.38%
  • I email/text/message people while driving

94 12.69%
  • I do whatever I want

176 23.75%
    I think if they do a compromise where you can only drive with a headset for using a cellphone it would make it better.
    12-10-07 03:06 PM
    I talk on my BB while I'm driving but I use a hands-free headset. At my job, I often have to use the phone while driving but common sense should prevail. No one should drive and text or even hold the phone to their ear. They always drive slower when they do that.
    12-10-07 03:08 PM
    Well if Im not mistaken there is a law in illinois against driving with your cell phone without an earpiece/BT but seriously, no one should drive while under the influence of blackberry technology.

Dee-chicago
    12-10-07 03:21 PM
    I would say it should be illegal mostly because we can't create gray lines and say a person can talk on the phone but not text. It'll be a sad day when I can't text while cruising down a fairly empty highway, because it's one of the only ways I can stay awake while driving.
    12-10-07 03:22 PM
    As I posted in another thread -
    I smacked right into a tree while walking and texting on my beloved BB, so obviously, since I am unable to walk and BlackBerry, I am completely unable to drive and BlackBerry.
    Luckily neither I nor my BB were injured.
    12-10-07 03:28 PM
    Yes, I talk, email, read maps, I am very bad.
    12-10-07 03:35 PM
    I used the stereo headset that came with the BB to answer and make calls. I find if I don't use that and just hold the BB to my ear I am more distracted.

I skim through emails when I'm at a stoplight. It's really distracting if I'm on the freeway or expressway where either there are not a lot of lights or all the lights are green and I hear the ding notification that I have an email and I can't check it.
    12-10-07 03:36 PM
    im a big sms'er and driving while typing is a big no no in my book, i used to and have almost been in to many accidents because of it. so I only do it at stop lights ... should the govt pass laws making it illegal to talk on them or type while driving? **** yeah! there are to many idiots that can't do more than one thing at a time that just can't for the life of them pay attention while talking on the phone!
    12-10-07 03:38 PM
    I think talking is fine if its hands free. Texting is dangerous though.
    12-10-07 03:48 PM
    Well I am a youth pastor and my kids txt me like crazy, even while i am driving the church bus! I have my 8830 in my hand constantly and as far as calls go, the bluetooth headset helps, but it is certainly hard to txt with one hand and try to be remotely safe. I think that to pass a law that makes it illegal is a little too much infringement on personal rights, however, personal judgement should always lean towards caution and safety. I have had to learn to wait till the stoplight to send that kid a txt back, which is a quandry since i sometime look forward to hitting a red light .
    12-10-07 04:00 PM
    no way ppl are smart enough to use good judgement.
    12-10-07 04:09 PM
    Should it? Yeah. Seeing the geniuses that I do in Philly, I realize that the days of reading the newspaper while driving are over. Unfortunately, contracting business appears to be much worse, especially when someone's doing document review on their BB.
    12-10-07 04:14 PM
    Im sure we are going to see it.
    12-10-07 04:21 PM
    I think laws should be passed forcing hands free devices to be used while driving. Too may people hurt or killed wile driving and text/talking on the phone. There is powerful software out there for hands free communication with a BB.
    12-10-07 04:22 PM
    im one who occasionally talks without using the bluetooth while driving, not saying its right but sometimes i do break the law
    12-10-07 04:29 PM
    Cell-phone driving is distracting. At the very least, I support those that state a hands free headset should be required.
    12-10-07 04:38 PM
    No way! Big Brother needs to away from telling me how and when I can use my BB, although I do agree with some sort of headset law.
    12-10-07 04:54 PM
    I'm from the UK and it is already illegal to use a mobile device while the vehicle is both moving, and stationary with the engine running - the only way around getting points on your licence and a fine is to use a hands-free device of some kind. It makes sense as, when taking your driving test, you are told to have both hands on the wheel at all times (Apart from the obvious gear change, or signal manoeuvre, etc) and be in control of the vehicle at all times - Neither of which you are if you're holding a phone to your ear or (Even more bloody stupid) texting!

Thus - My answer is an unequivocal yes!
    12-10-07 04:55 PM
    heck no. you can get so much more done if you can talk while driving.. texting emailing gets alittle more hairy tho..
    12-10-07 04:55 PM
    I know it's not PC, but I talk on my phone in the car way too much.
    12-10-07 05:01 PM
    Yea, yea, yea. Know I shouldn't, but it's just a short one.
    12-10-07 05:29 PM
    Emailing and texting should not be done when driving...
    12-10-07 05:31 PM
    I think if your going to talk use a headset or pull over.
    12-10-07 05:34 PM
    no way ppl are smart enough to use good judgement.
    People are stupid. Really stupid. I think handsfree kits should be mandatory.
    12-10-07 05:38 PM
    I think that talking with handsfree set is ok as long has you have the ability to multitask....drive and talk at the same time.
    12-10-07 05:44 PM
724 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD