View Poll Results: Do you use your BlackBerry while driving?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never! Driving and BlackBerrying don't mix

96 12.96%
  • Only at stoplights

98 13.23%
  • I talk on the phone while driving

277 37.38%
  • I email/text/message people while driving

94 12.69%
  • I do whatever I want

176 23.75%
    Yea Wit My Bluetooth
    12-27-07 03:04 PM
    My 8310 have built-in GPS, and I do use it daily, plus call on the phone.
    12-27-07 06:48 PM
    I used to text while driving until I ran a red light. I decided to stop being an ***** and just text while at stoplights. Eventually I'll just stop using my BlackBerry when on the road, lol.
    12-27-07 07:29 PM
    Touchy, touchy subject. I hope they do not outlaw cp usage while driving. What would they outlaw next? Shaving on the morning commute? Morning makeup touchups? Driving with screaming children in the car? What about those little tv screens in the mini-vans...they are completely distracting to the cars behind them on the interstate at night!!! Oh, and what about outlawing eating fast food while driving? What would that do to the economy? Hmmm, all points to ponder!!!
    12-27-07 08:41 PM
    I'm really torn on how much the gov't should get involved in this issue. I talk on the phone in the car, on occasion. I try not to, though. My partner will text me while I'm driving, and then I will only reply while at a stoplight. I know it's harder for me to concentrate on driving while I have the phone to my ear. I'm sure others can manage, but if I have difficulties, others might, too. Should people use more common sense about their phone habits? Probably. Should the government criminalize such behavior? I don't know.
    12-28-07 12:41 AM
    Talking on the phone while driving is not something anyone should do, but i do either turn on the speakerphone or use a bluetooth speaker attachment so that I am not trying to push buttons and drive at the same time. Most of my car phone use is when stopped because of traffic and I am letting my significant other know to take another route!
    12-28-07 08:20 AM
    Laws should govern the end results of things. If you crash, you're liable. The End.

I think, like anything else, this is up to the person. I don't need laws to tell me how to behave, I can decide for myself. Just because there are people out there who don't act the same and who make bad/destructive decisions, doesn't mean I need to have a choice made for me by the government because of them -- they will probably continue to do what they're doing anyway, legal or illegal. The ones who will be most irked and restricted by a law like this are probably the ones with the best judgement and common sense anyway.
    12-28-07 08:39 AM
    unfortunately, driving does not stop my bb usage...
    12-28-07 11:17 AM
    Dont think it should be illegal, but they should make it mandatory to use a handsfree kit if you have to talk and drive.
    I Agree. Nd No Texting!
    12-28-07 11:28 AM
    Only for texting. I dont mind the talking with a hands free LAw.
    12-28-07 12:55 PM
    I have done everything from using the phone to sending an email while driving. Soon I will be a law breakers in California. I will start to use my plantronics bluetooth headset. Too bad I havent seen a hands free text messaging system!
    12-28-07 01:10 PM
    There should probably be some type of laws. I am a huge offender myself.

Happy New Year!!
    Dutch
    12-28-07 02:13 PM
    Cell/smart phones are an integral part of life these days but can be distracting. I think talking hands free should be allowed as a first step. But the law needs to be specific where I don't think typing should be allowed but GPS devices should.
    12-28-07 02:24 PM
    There shouldn't be a law, however everyone should use common sense. Texting is not a good idea while driving, and everyone should use a headset when talking on the phone.
    12-28-07 02:52 PM
    If they pass laws saying its unsafe to drive and talk on the cell phone then I think the same regulations should be in place for police officers, bus drivers, truck drivers etc. But that wouldn't be feasible.... there is a reason for that!

Texting I think is dangerous (or e-mailing) while driving. But with headsets etc. I don't see any reason while talking on the phone should be illegal.

Common sense always applies to useage. Maybe we could outlaw moronic drivers instead ;-)
    12-28-07 03:23 PM
    I believe in Talking on phone with bluetooth headset should be legal but typing on Blackberry while driving is a tad dangerous.
    12-28-07 03:30 PM
    Yes, using a cellphone or blackberry while driving is dangerous to the people who do it and the people around them. I see many people who are on the phone while they are driving and it does impair their driving.
    12-28-07 06:17 PM
    CAN WE ALL SAY "HANDS FREE"!!!!!!!!!

I think a law should be passed about texting especially! Look I have inportant things to say to my buddies too - but it's sure not worth getting crunched up for it - you know. At least with the hands free we can all say our peace to our friends and still be safe!

Aloha everyone!
    12-28-07 06:56 PM
    As long as you can talk on your Berry hands-free, it should be legal. Typing, dialing, or anything causing you to take your hands off the wheel or eyes off the road should be illegal.

I can't tell you how many times I have been cut off by someone with a cellphone plastered to their ear! Half of the time, the offender doesn't even see me screeching to a stop or swerving to miss them. So sad.
    12-28-07 07:37 PM
    Only for phone.

However, if just a passenger, GPS and e-mail is a must.
    12-28-07 08:27 PM
    Ashamed to say i will respond with a few words at stop lights
    12-28-07 08:42 PM
    if the wonderful people here at crackberry care for my well being they will rig whatever system there maybe to make me win this and the bluetooth. the bluetooth will keep my eyes focused on the road while im talking and the car kit will allow me to continue looking forward instead of down at the caller id to see if answer or give em the maybe later button!
    12-28-07 09:36 PM
    For some people that cant drive without their blackberry attached to their head then yes
    12-29-07 12:22 AM
    I said I only talk on the phone while driving. That isn't exactly true. I do BB Maps frequently and use my address book quite a bit. I wish there were more voice commands.
    12-29-07 07:11 AM
    I am on the road a lot which is why I have a mobile communication device. I do think it's dangerous to be texting or fiddling with the keys while you are driving but hands free communication should definitely be allowed.
    12-29-07 02:29 PM
724 ... 26272829
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD