View Poll Results: Do you use your BlackBerry while driving?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never! Driving and BlackBerrying don't mix

96 12.96%
  • Only at stoplights

98 13.23%
  • I talk on the phone while driving

277 37.38%
  • I email/text/message people while driving

94 12.69%
  • I do whatever I want

176 23.75%
    Many States have already passed laws requiring hands free for cell phone usage but frankly NO ONE enforces it and I have seen some crazy driving by people on cells. I swear if I am ever involved in an accident and it was caused by a distracted driver on a cell phone I will probably be arrested for destroying said cell phone!!
    12-16-07 08:24 AM
    Nah, i don't. I gotta watch out for the bad drivers in my city (Austin) and the one's who want to hit and run.
    12-16-07 11:41 AM
    Should it be Illegal? Maybe allow talking on Hands free but even then people can be distracted. I admit I am bad and will play with the GPS sometimes. But just as well there are drivers out there who should not drive whether they have a cell phone or not.
    12-16-07 12:45 PM
    I think it should be illegal to use any kind of phone while you drive. I know that I get very distracted, even when using a headset.

But, to be fair, I only drive and txt when I've been drinking.
    12-16-07 04:20 PM
    Wouldn't be able to work with out talking on phone in car. My car is my office.
    12-16-07 04:30 PM
    I try not to talk while driving, but I have had to talk on occasion.
    12-16-07 06:33 PM
    Talking with headphones.... no
    texting - absolutely!
    12-16-07 06:48 PM
    If you're a BB owner, you should be trusted enough as a responsible, intelligent consumer that will be coordinated enough to type and operate a vehicle. The laws shouldn't apply to BB users.
    12-16-07 06:51 PM
    I think that a bluetooth or some type of hands free should be required.
    12-16-07 06:52 PM
    I dont think the govt should pass any laws against using your bb/cell phone while driving. However, I would advise the use of a headset. and email is definitely a bad idea.
    12-16-07 07:36 PM
    There should be a hands free law enforced in every city along with a noe eyeliner, newspaper reading ect Ive seen kids texting at 80+ mph changing lanes and its deadly
    12-16-07 07:50 PM
    finger texting while driving yes
    Voice texting would be great hands free.
    12-16-07 08:37 PM
    It's not so much that "I want", it's more like I feel compelled to return the message immediately (Once again....a Berryholic)
    12-16-07 08:56 PM
    I agree, enforcing hands-free is the way to go.
    12-16-07 10:22 PM
    I can drive and talk with no problems but my wife can not. She scares me when she tries. Because of this I think there should be a cell phone usage test. If you pass the test you get a sticker that goes on your car and allows you to use your phone while driving. if you cant then you dont get the sticker and if caught using the phone you should get MAJOR fines.
    12-16-07 10:42 PM
    talk while i drive and use the maps. i try to bluetooth when possible.
    12-16-07 11:33 PM
    I think anything but handsfree usage should be illegal. While I only talk on the phone with a bluetooth, I must admit I have found myself reading texts or emails while commuting. I would love a feature where my blackberry reads me texts and emails. It would be great if you could choose from a selection of voices too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-07 11:35 PM
    I don't think we need another law, but people should be able to use common sense while driving. At least I hope so.
    12-16-07 11:55 PM
    I might talk on the phone while driving, but that is only because I have an integrated bluetooth setup, since I don't like headsets at all. I can make and receive phone calls without removing my hands from the wheel. I often disconnect people depending on traffic though. I'd rather hear them fussing about it later than not get that chance...
    12-17-07 08:46 AM
    My time spent in the BB Rehab unit/Spa of the Cleveland Clinic would have gone much better, if they hadn't forgotten to confiscate my BB when I checked in. But the hand massages made it much easier to text with!

tdg
    12-17-07 08:51 AM
    I use Bluetooth in order to talk while driving, but have no problem telling folks I'll call back in a few if things are looking a little wild on the road. Undecided as to whether talking on the phone while driving needs to be regulated, though. Some folks are always going to be a menace on the road whether or not they're texting, talking with/without a headset or BT, talking to other passengers in the car with them, eating, or singing to the radio by themselves.
    12-17-07 09:25 AM
    Unfortunately, most people can't talk and drive at the same time. But it isn't always convenient to pullover to talk. But handsfree is the way to go.
    12-17-07 09:47 AM
    I don't think it should be illegal, but maybe mandate some sort of policy that states you have to use some sort of headset accessory.

Now the texting/emailing part, that's a whole 'nother story. It's one thing to grab your phone to answer the phone. Even scrolling through your addressbook to make a phone call can be dangerous. Anything that takes your attention away from the road is a possible hazard. Thats the one thing I love about voice commands, (at least that is when it works properly). Mine usually goes something like this:

Please say a Command:

Me: "Call Billy"

Did you say?:
    Niki

Me: No

Did you say?: Cindy

Me: No

Did you say?
    Ricky

Me: End call, oh screw it. Speed dial time. LOL.
    12-17-07 12:20 PM
    **** no...I've made it a sport to be able to drive w/ my knee/knees in order to text/email while driving. Thank god I have bluetooth in my car so I don't have to hold it to my ear. God...our society has become to lazy!
    12-17-07 02:55 PM
    of course not !
    12-17-07 02:59 PM
724 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD