I sold an 8830 World phone to another Verizon customer. I had wiped all data and thought things were fine. BUT I got a call the next day from the buyer and he said he was getting my emails. I had to make 4 calls to Verizon before I found someone who knew what the issue was and how to fix it.

The rep had to have the pin number for the 8830 and also the IC #. Fortunately I had both. It took about 2 minutes and the emails stopped going to the old phone.

Be sure to call your carrier to have the old Blackberry email settings removed BEFORE you sell your phone.

Best regards,

Jim Ingram
    Altadena, CA
    01-07-09 01:40 PM
    You can also do that yourself, remove your email from it. I dont think its a security breach, just that not all was wiped from it.
    01-07-09 01:44 PM
    you could go to your carriers bis site and delete the old accounts as well
    01-07-09 01:45 PM
    The "wipe" does not and will not remove the settings for your Blackberry. You must have the service provider do it. I am not aware of being able to do it on your account on-line but will check and get back to this Thread

By the way, the new owner received a very sensitive email which I would consider a security breach.
    01-07-09 01:47 PM
    I know the wipe doesnt, it restores the settings back to factory settings. You can also like a previous poster mentioned, log onto your own BIS and remove the email address.
    01-07-09 01:49 PM
    Shouldn't this be retitled to "Don't forget to remove your email addresses from BIS?" Or switch your PIN to the new BB I guess...
    01-07-09 01:55 PM
    If you need it you can find your carriers bis site here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what...RIERS+BIS+SITE
    01-07-09 01:59 PM
    If you need it you can find your carriers bis site here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what...RIERS+BIS+SITE
    Swee thanks for posting this. Been wonder about this. Saw something about the carriers BIS when trying to figure out how to stop gmail from sending me a message when I send an email to someone.
    01-07-09 02:06 PM
    You are missing the point. If I knew I had to take the extra step to remove the email settings I would certainly have done that. This is a heads-up for people who need to know that.
    01-07-09 02:08 PM
    You are missing the point. If I knew I had to take the extra step to remove the email settings I would certainly have done that. This is a heads-up for people who need to know that.
    Thanks for the heads up! This makes sense but is probably something that I would have overlooked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 02:25 PM
    Right you need to follow other step's before retiring a device to a new owner, but it's not a security breach.
    01-07-09 02:47 PM
    We might be talking semantics here but as far as I'm concerned it is a security breach.

Hopefully the heads-up will help the majority of people that don't know about this

Happy New Year and thank you for your comments

Jim Ingram
    01-07-09 03:05 PM
    Its not a BB security breach, its a user breach
    01-07-09 03:07 PM
    Ok, Uncle, uncle.....
    01-07-09 03:13 PM
    hmm I sold mine and my email didn't transfer over to the phone when I wiped it... strange... thanks for the info though!
    01-07-09 04:33 PM
    I had this problem when I bought my Bold from a guy...I got my carrier to enable bis on my account but I was getting his emails and texts...luckily I had his number and email so rung him to let him know....seems like that his network hadn't released the pin/device off their network as I couldn't register the device onto my networks BIS service. So the OP does have a point, point being that before u sell your device make sure your carrier removes the device off their systems...I'd say give it at least 48hrs then sell it on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 04:45 PM
    Definitely didn't want to overlook this. Good catch. I'd remember but I'm sure most wouldn't bother to log into the BIS site to change/update.
    01-07-09 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD