So you can use your mobile phone when you got stopped by a red light, if the engine automatically stops (like all newer and slightly more expensive cars do nowadays)?
    The (UK) Law says: "It is illegal to use a mobile phone held in the hand while driving or while stopped with the engine on.
    It has been illegal to use a hand held mobile phone while driving since December 2003."

For me, someone in a car stopped on the highway due to a red light, or other cars queued in front, or for any other reason, is undoubtedly "driving"; regardless of any temporary pausing of the engine for reasons of fuel-efficiency. I doubt even the smartest of lawyers would win the counter-argument.

Next time you're in the UK, you should try phoning while the engine is "paused" at a red light, and see if anyone books you. What's the worst that could happen?

I'd keep your wallet handy though...
    HighFlight88 and TgeekB like this.
    12-03-14 02:58 PM
    Glad to see this thread is resurrected.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    12-03-14 03:27 PM
    This is why I'm pushing my friends and family to use BBM or something equivalent while talking to me. This doesn't really solve the issue but at least I can put a status on BBM that I'm currently driving and should just be left a message. This way people won't call me and I can get back to them knowing the topic at hand

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 04:01 PM
    I agree. Even hands-free calling has been shown to occupy the same parts of the brain that are needed for making critical driving decisions.

And I would like to add that while the idea of being a so-called 'multitasker' is cloaked with much street cred, it is actually a myth that there is anything to gain by juggling several tasks at once.
    http://psychology.about.com/od/cogni...ltitasking.htm

Many recent studies have come to the same conclusion: we - either women or men - are not built for it; if you want to do many things well, dedicate your focus to only one at a time. This especially applies to driving a vehicle.

Q10 ? The Other Crackberry Pirate ? Z30 | via CB10
    Yes, I noticed that.

Even though I like to get stuff done, I've pretty much stopped using it for outgoing calls, if not urgent. Regarding incoming calls, I haven't got too much of a choice, every missed call could potentially mean considerable loss of income for the week...

Still, thank God for bluetooth... :-)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-03-14 04:54 PM
    I saw something absolutely unbelievable on the road the other day...a woman driving large SUV had her kindle planted on her steering wheel and she was reading a book! On the highway too! I honked multiple times to get her attention to no avail. I pulled up to her and saw nothing but text on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 08:06 PM
    Thanks for resurrecting my thread folks, I take this issue very seriously and I am glad to know there are still folks out there that give a ****.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    PonyCrazyKid and TgeekB like this.
    12-03-14 08:36 PM
    OMG - this is a great thread! Driving is a priority function. It doesn't come with options of texting, reading a book, eating with chopsticks, applying make-up, etc. I think that learning to put the daggone phone down while driving is a very important life-skill to cultivate.

I love to drive. I will only own a manual shift, a 5-speed complete with clutch. I think that the problem with too many drivers is that automatics are so easy - stomp on the gas or the brake, steer. But a 5-speed makes you think about what you are doing.

Perhaps some day the inventors will get all the bugs worked out of the automated, auto-drive cars, but until then, put away the phones and devices.

Driving demands attention. In the past, I have thanked my fairies and angels and my wonderful little 5-speed, uber-great handling cars, for getting me out of trouble when my attention strayed. It doesn't have to be a phone call or a text, it can be spotting a red tail hawk sitting on a fence along a back country road. We need to learn to get our priorities straight, but the phone becomes a bad "drug" when you mix it with driving.

I can't tell you how many times people driving vehicles pulling horse trailers have crossed double yellow lines on winding rural roads into my lane and scared the snot out of me. Every time, they have been talking on their phones, every time. They are hauling their beloved Dobbins, sometimes with kids in the tow vehicle with them, they are risking their lives, the lives of the horses in the trailer, and any innocent motorist who happens to be going in the opposite direction.

Phones are a convenience. They are not oxygen. They're simply marvelous and often useful devices, but enough is enough. People need to put down their phones and pay attention while they drive. Life is too short under the best of circumstances. It will make a huge difference when insurance companies can access cell phone records to determine whether someone filing an accident report was "driving distracted" when the accident took place!!!! Oh yeah, insurance rates will go up, denying claims will hit the distracted drivers' wallets and the resulting financial fines and possible loss of driving privileges will provide the perfect wake-up call for people to pay attention and drive responsibly.

PS Hands-free doesn't mean brain-free!!!
    12-03-14 10:49 PM
    How do you propose we address this challenge? Who is our target demographic? Should we tell teens to quit? Should we guilt trip adults?

Most, if not all of us KNOW it's dangerous. Yet we willingly do it.

"I'm not a bad driver. Come on. Look at me. I've been driving for 25 years without a scratch"

"You can't tell me what to do!"

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 11:41 PM
    The sad truth is in today's fast pace multitasking society, it's just going to get worse. I have learned how to spot a person who is on a Cell phone or texting a mile away.

They slow down and start bobbing and weaving in their respective lane, usually when I spot them, I will pull up next to them and sure enough, they have their head tilted to one side with the device stuck to their ear. The best ones are the hands free folks, I see them talking and/or yelling to the windshield!!!!

I typically look at the individual and make a gesture and/or actually tell them to get off the phone and pay attention to the road. Most of the time all I get is a **** you look and they drive off. I think if you when to issue a $1000.00 on the spot fine, along with a reckless driving ticket, that would be a good start. Get them where it hurts the worst, their wallet.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    12-04-14 03:34 AM
    I agree! More deaths have been caused on our roads by text-drivers than people under the influence of marijuana!

Posted via CB10
    And you know this because you're into legalization of marijuana, right? :-D

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 04:12 AM
    A serious topic which should be brought back into public minds as often as possible. Just last week I almost got ran over by a car at a crossing, the driver obviously didn't see his red light because his attention was at the light of his phone's display. Luckily nothing happened to anyone.

Even if it might sound cruel: I couldn't care less about those people, it is their lives and if they want to put it at risk with such dumb actions, just let them. But I can't say this because with almost every accident another person is the victim of such a selfish, risky behaviour. In virtually every case the poor victim has nothing to do with the hot shot, texting or maybe even posting stupid selfies, challenging his or her luck. Fathers died leaving her family behind, kids get run over on their way to friends, whole families are endangered by such foolish driving. Nothing is *that* important that it can't wait a couple of minutes until you have your hands and mind free to check the situation. And if it really is so important, everybody can take their time to stop sideways to ensure safety for everyone on the road. All other drivers and especially their loved ones and friends will thank you for that.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 04:55 AM
    I'll admit this is was a bad habit of mine. It's so stupid. I know it is. I don't do it like I once did. I used to have the phone in my hands at all times. Now, I'll text at a red light, or send a one word text while I'm on the road. And it IS stupid and ignorant and careless. This gives me even more reason to stop. No text message is worth a life.

Posted via my Classic Passport
    12-04-14 10:20 AM
    I completely agree with you

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-04-14 10:26 AM
    I'll admit this is was a bad habit of mine. It's so stupid. I know it is. I don't do it like I once did. I used to have the phone in my hands at all times. Now, I'll text at a red light, or send a one word text while I'm on the road. And it IS stupid and ignorant and careless. This gives me even more reason to stop. No text message is worth a life.

Posted via my Classic Passport
    It takes some good character to admit a wrong, and then change, so you have my admiration and best wishes.

Regarding texting at a red light: a real problem is the lack of situational awareness. Yes, the traffic may be halted, but many things are going on around the vehicle.

I once observed a person texting at the red light, when someone honked a horn. The offender, perhaps believing he was caught holding up the line, stepped on the gas and nearly ran over a pedestrian crossing in front of him. He could just as easily entered the intersection and caused a crash, or caused the pedestrian to jump in front of a moving car.

12-04-14 11:32 AM
    It takes some good character to admit a wrong, and then change, so you have my admiration and best wishes.

Regarding texting at a red light: a real problem is the lack of situational awareness. Yes, the traffic may be halted, but many things are going on around the vehicle.

I once observed a person texting at the red light, when someone honked a horn. The offender, perhaps believing he was caught holding up the line, stepped on the gas and nearly ran over a pedestrian crossing in front of him. He could just as easily entered the intersection and caused a crash, or caused the pedestrian to jump in front of a moving car.

I see that happen quite a few times

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 02:58 PM
    Its quite refreshing to see so many intelligent responses. This practice has no place in a society that cares about more than "me". Unfortunately not everyone feels the same way.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    12-04-14 03:26 PM
    The replies in this thread are outstanding. I feel very proud (in the best possible meaning of the word) to participate in this thread. It is one of the most positive public forums I have ever seen and I do a lot of reading. It also has a great community spirit that reaches around the globe.

Phones and driving do not mix. If each of us makes the effort to share these thoughts with other people, the very act and intention of stimulating awareness of the often fatal consequences of "driver distraction" will plant seeds that will someday germinate. It's like throwing a pebble into a pond. One plonk - that's the shared thought - and all those ripples eventually go somewhere. If the pond is big enough, we might not see the ripple reach the other bank, but it will get there. That ripple is the intention of your thought to encourage responsible and attentive driving -- it will make a tiny wave. Who knows where or when it will resonate with someone? The point is that that we are planting idea seeds by expressing how we feel about "driving distracted" and so what if that person responds with a hearty f*** off! That knee-jerk reaction testifies to the duality of human nature. Yep, I really did write that. It's true: we are human (an intelligent animal with moments of absolute stupidity) and therefore we can't possibly act divine all the time. All it takes is a little effort - and who knows, maybe the effort that each of us makes will help to save an innocent pedestrian or motorist's life. It's worth the effort. This forum is a great place to start.
    12-04-14 06:50 PM
    I had to pull over twice on the way home from work to read text message.

It was from my boss so I knew it couldn't wait.

Took me an extra 15 or so minutes to get home, but I made it alive, didn't risk anyone else & I was able to respond to him w/ full attention.

I am.... Mrs Peevishlicious
    12-04-14 07:05 PM
    How do you propose we address this challenge? Who is our target demographic? Should we tell teens to quit? Should we guilt trip adults?

Most, if not all of us KNOW it's dangerous. Yet we willingly do it.

"I'm not a bad driver. Come on. Look at me. I've been driving for 25 years without a scratch"

"You can't tell me what to do!"

Posted via CB10
    Share your "do not drive & phone/text" thoughts with EVERYONE! Few teens have encountered their mortality. Well, I would guess that even some who have had a near-death experience will still be bull-headed and try to drive and text, etc - that's human nature. Most humans need a brick upside the head before they get what the lesson is. Tell everyone. What the heck? Share horror stories even if they aren't your own. I would bet that every single person on this forum has experienced all of the following examples:

1) You just about sideswipe a car (moving or parked), because you're rooting around to find your cellphone or something...

2) one of you already gave this one: sitting at a light, texting or talking, someone honks and you hit the gas, thinking the light has changed - fill in the heart-thumping near-miss or catastrophe...

3) driver (can be adult, teenager - doesn't matter) behind the wheel, alone or with friends, talking on phone and doesn't see see the car with the turn signal in front of them - nice rear end collision, with or without injuries.

4) Wildlife dashing into the road is hard to avoid when you're talking and texting. If you're talking/texting, you are not in control of your vehicle and you are not going to react quickly enough to avoid a collision when that deer or herd of deer leap into the road right in front of you. Headlights? They're blinded by them - good luck! - some freeze in their tracks - may all the gods help you if that deer freezes right in your path! Even the younger ones can cause a lot of damage.

Make it personal. Ask them how they would feel if someone they loved got killed or critically injured because someone was driving distracted. Push a little, get them to consider the consequences. Plant the idea that phones and driving do not mix...
    12-04-14 07:27 PM
    Coraya - Bravo, your post is proof that you are growing into your CB Genius persona. You are so correct: no text, no call is worth a life! Shows wisdom - now share it and plant the idea in other minds, please!
    12-04-14 07:35 PM
    Fantastic thread.

Threads like this underscore why CB is my online home of sorts.

Great stuff. Love being around such intelligence folks.
    Prem WatsApp and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    12-04-14 10:45 PM
    Share your "do not drive & phone/text" thoughts with EVERYONE! Few teens have encountered their mortality. Well, I would guess that even some who have had a near-death experience will still be bull-headed and try to drive and text, etc - that's human nature. Most humans need a brick upside the head before they get what the lesson is. Tell everyone. What the heck? Share horror stories even if they aren't your own. I would bet that every single person on this forum has experienced all of the following examples:

1) You just about sideswipe a car (moving or parked), because you're rooting around to find your cellphone or something...

2) one of you already gave this one: sitting at a light, texting or talking, someone honks and you hit the gas, thinking the light has changed - fill in the heart-thumping near-miss or catastrophe...

3) driver (can be adult, teenager - doesn't matter) behind the wheel, alone or with friends, talking on phone and doesn't see see the car with the turn signal in front of them - nice rear end collision, with or without injuries.

4) Wildlife dashing into the road is hard to avoid when you're talking and texting. If you're talking/texting, you are not in control of your vehicle and you are not going to react quickly enough to avoid a collision when that deer or herd of deer leap into the road right in front of you. Headlights? They're blinded by them - good luck! - some freeze in their tracks - may all the gods help you if that deer freezes right in your path! Even the younger ones can cause a lot of damage.

Make it personal. Ask them how they would feel if someone they loved got killed or critically injured because someone was driving distracted. Push a little, get them to consider the consequences. Plant the idea that phones and driving do not mix...
    It's very nice to see your well thought out and cohesive posts. Thanks. It's people like YOU who make this an exciting and informative forum. Yes, this thread is not about BlackBerry, but that's not necessary. We all need a wake up call about the dangers of trying to survive in this world. It is what each and every one of us makes it. So let's all try to make it better. The ripple analogy was great. Each of us can do small things, which can turn into big improvements in our daily lives. Thanks again.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    12-05-14 01:10 AM
    I saw something absolutely unbelievable on the road the other day...a woman driving large SUV had her kindle planted on her steering wheel and she was reading a book! On the highway too! I honked multiple times to get her attention to no avail. I pulled up to her and saw nothing but text on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    She could've been using te text to speech feature, I used it many times while driving to listen to books.

What you did was road rage and you could've caused an accident yourself, you're not police, do your own driving.

The irony.
    12-05-14 02:58 AM
    I once had a guy pull up beside me in the fast lane blocking the traffic behind him, open his window and start accusing me of being in the phone ( which I was but using a headset with the phone safely on the dashboard cradle) and get this, he had his phone in his hand and was filming me while driving lol

Gotta love the self appointed driving police.

The secret to talking while driving is this:
    Always let the other person you're driving
    Keep it brief and to the point
    Always be prepared to drop the conversation at first sign of trouble ahead on the road.
    12-05-14 03:18 AM
    Its not about being a slave, its about caring about others not just yourself. Common sense.
    That has nothing to do with giving up your rights to a central city state.

It's funny how you try to insult my character, empathy and intelligence all in two sentences.

I didn't say it was good to text and drive re read what I said, and if you can't understand why; yhere is the reason your vansh is one of slavery.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ।।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ।।
    12-05-14 03:41 AM
114 12345