I'm a soon-to-be former WM6 user and will make the switch to an 8900 later today. I have a few questions regarding a workaround I've been using with my Blackjack II.

I have my gmail set to forward new emails to [email protected] so I can receive full emails and not SMS snippets. I noticed that the original sender and my email are both listed. I tried replying and found out that I can send emails from my phone via MMS. In fact, if I save an email for someone's contact info, I can later choose to send an MMS to that email by simplying composing a new email and selecting that info under his contact.

So can someone confirm whether or not they can do this on their BB? This isn't device specific, so it doesn't matter if you don't have an 8900. Just send an email from your personal email to [email protected] or @tmomail.net or whatever your mail/MMS gateway happens to be. Look on wikipedia for your gateway. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway
    08-06-09 04:11 PM
    Am I the only one thinking "huh?"
    08-06-09 04:15 PM
    Haha, I guess I should clarify more then.

1. I set my gmail to forward a copy of any new mail to my MMS email gateway. The gateway allows phones to receive SMS or MMS from an email address. This is how software to let you text over data functions (like the iPhone's TextFree app).

2. I received an email from someone and wanted to reply to them. I intuitively pressed the reply button, forgetting that I was on my phone and the MMS was a forwarded email.

3. Lo and behold, I was sent to a "Compose MMS" screen and instead of a phone number entry, the email address was present.

4. The person received the email and noted that my address was my 10-digit phone number and @mms.att.net, as I presumed.

5. I have unlimited texting, but no data, so this is my workaround to get email on my phone. No one's had a problem with receiving mail and I doubt anyone is confused that I'm sending emails from a different address as long as I tell them "this is Hung" and continue on with my message.

I'm just asking a BB user to test it out on their phone to see if I can continue doing this workaround or will have to stick with SMS snippets.
    08-06-09 04:33 PM
    Tried it, works just like on WM.
    08-07-09 12:25 PM
    I have unlimited texting, but no data
    Wouldn't it make much more sense then to buy a cheap texting phone rather than a phone that you won't be using anywhere near its full potential? That's like buying a Ferrari and not having a driver's license.
    08-07-09 01:52 PM
    Wouldn't it make much more sense then to buy a cheap texting phone rather than a phone that you won't be using anywhere near its full potential? That's like buying a Ferrari and not having a driver's license.
    Aye. I got a friend that only wants text and calling and he wanted to buy a BB curve...I smacked him around and he realized he doesn't need one if he's not using the data. So he saved himself 100 bucks and got a phone for 30
    08-07-09 02:04 PM
    No, I don't believe you are correct.

Please list a cheaper phone offered by AT&t that features WIFI, a full QWERTY keyboard, a fluid and intuitive interface, in addition to a large support community and sexy design.

Furthermore, as I'm on-campus, the ubiquitous WIFI covers every nook and cranny, though AT&T has no service in ANY building (school only has contracts with VW, so no GSM repeaters).

So what am I missing? I have push email, Internet everywhere, and unlimited texting. Why do I have to pay for BES if it only mirrors my current functionality. What do you have that I don't have? You send emails from your primary email. Ok, well my oodles business customers don't care if I email them from one email or two. So I'm getting the same service that you pay $30/month for, but I instead put that money in my pocket. $720 is a lot to pay to just be able to send email directly from my personal and school emails instead of my MMS gateway. I still can send emails, and I still get emails when BB servers go down.
    08-13-09 10:52 AM
    I liken my situation to getting a 335d but not getting BMW navigation. I can still use my phone for GPS, but as I rarely need to look up directions on the road, it's not important. My reason for getting the car is the crazy torque and luxury. And as I said regarding AT&T's phone selection, what cars can I drive in America that have a diesel engine, 425 ft-lbs of torque, and a great feel/look.

And please, BB = Ferrari? Pshhh. Where's my VGA+ screen? Where's the GOOD 3.2 MP camera? It's more like a high end Volvo, get the job done as well as anyone else, but the consumer-focused features fall short of luxury.
    08-13-09 11:06 AM
    I was sending email on my Samsing A950 flip phone four years ago :P

Just throw an email address in the To: field and it's all good.
    08-13-09 12:48 PM
    I understand what you're doing, but I still prefer BIS. I rarely have wifi where I am, usually only at my home. I also use BBM for messaging as a lot of my friends have BB's so I only pay for 200 sms/mms rather than unlimited.
    08-13-09 01:43 PM
    As far as I know you can do it, but I cannot test the MMS part as Rogers has no MMS gateway. It works for SMS so I don't see why it won't work for MMS as well.

And I have actually used SMS this way for fun, so that's how I know it works well. In fact, my company uses it in our custom hardware so we can receive SMS messages from our products in the field.
    08-13-09 02:00 PM
    Yah I have used this workaround. I'm with Sprint and we don't have MMS on our blackberries yet unfortunately.
    08-14-09 09:51 AM
    Yah I have used this workaround. I'm with Sprint and we don't have MMS on our blackberries yet unfortunately.
    I send MMS all the time with my 8330 Sprint Curve...???????
    08-16-09 03:04 PM
    This works fine on my BlackBerry 8320. Just compose an mms message to an email address!
    08-26-09 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD