Hihi!

I scanned the general discussion and help/howto/faq areas but didn't see anything quite like what I'm looking for... apologies if I've overlooked something!

My dad's company went under in 2009. He recently gave me his old BlackBerry 8830. It's in good condition, no cosmetic flaws, good battery life, e.t.c. I want to sell it on Craigslist.org for $100.00 (CDN).

Couple things.

I've wiped all his personal data, e-mails, e.t.c. from the device. I intend to get rid of the I.T. Policy and upgrade the O.S. once I find the USB cable. I'll charge the battery before posting the ad and blow the keyboard and inside the battery compartment/surrounding areas with compressed air. What should I use to clean the screen? Is there anything else I can do to get the BlackBerry as close to the default settings as possible?

I understand that, through the Magical Telephony Gods, this BlackBerry is bound to a specific carrier and will be until I perform a dance that appeases the Gods. (Such a dance would involve a lot of Jack Daniels and a hammer. I want to avoid this option, if possible.) Or unlock it. Whatever, same thing to me. Is there any way I could dissociate my dad's defunct number from the phone that would let me keep my cash and my dignity?

Thanks for reading!

P.S. - sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    Last edited by DyslexicGod; 02-06-10 at 09:18 AM. Reason: to bold key things for the TL;DR crowd.
    02-06-10 03:57 AM
    download jl_cmder once you find your usb cable and you can do a factory reset. Beware though, of the time wasters on cl. Ebay might be a better route.
    02-06-10 12:41 PM
    Also, make sure you meet in a well lit and public location. Take only cash and let someone know where you are heading and for what reason. There are some tricksters out there who want nothing more than to screw you over.

Also be prepared to wait while they confirm the phone can be activated. I once sold a BB to a girl, we met at the front entrance to a Target, she took the phone, called Verizon from it and had it activated on her account on the spot. I got my $ and all was right with the world.

I've sold 4 BB's on Craigslist that I have previously owned. I have never had an issue with any info left on the device, just do what the above posters have suggested, take any info off the memory card, such as pics and video's you want to keep, and then format it. You should be good to go.
    02-06-10 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD