Hi everyone!
    I've been on CrackBerry for a year, but I'm a Palm user from back in the old days.

With the news that my poor old 8310 will NOT be gettin OS5.0, I'm planning to upgrade to a new mobile device in the next couple months, and I'm faced with a dilemma.

A new BlackBerry or a Pre?

So I'm asking you, the CrackBerry addicts, to HELP ME by arguing the merits of staying with RIM.

Here's a little back story on me you can skip if you want.
    Currently I'm using a BlackBerry Curve 8310, which I've had for a year now.
    It's my first Smartphone. Prior to the BlackBerry I used several PalmOS based Sony Clies, and a separate "dumb" phone.
    My Curve was used when I got it, and I've always found it a bit slow, and it's now starting to die a slow painful death.

Now here's a few advantages and disadvantages the Pre has (imo) right away.
    Advantages:
    1 and 2)Full Touchscreen AND a Keyboard. In a Vertical SLIDER configuration no less.
    I can't tell you how often I caught myself taping the screen on my Curve when I first got it, and cursing "Why doesn't this !@#$%^& thing have a touchscreen!". It doesn't bother me too much anymore, but it would be nice to have the touchscreen back again.
    However, since I type a lot, touchscreen ONLY devices like the iPhone and BB Storm are out (No you can't talk me into it with "you'll get used to it, you just need practice"), likewise, I don't like Horizontal sliders like the HTC Dream, as I find them kludgy to use when I'm on the go. The Pre seems about as perfect a form as I can ask for.
    3)Nostalgia. I loved my Clies. If Sony hadn't discontinued the line and Palm hadn't screwed up with the next-gen OS, there's every chance I'd still be happily going about my business with a Clie at my side.

Disadvantages:
    1)I've heard not great things about the battery life. My Curve is lucky to last a full day of what I consider moderate use. I hear the Pre isn't any better. However all of the newer RIM devices are supposed to have much better life over my Curve.
    2)Network. I would strongly prefer to get a GSM/GPRS/HSDPA device rather than CDMA/EV-DO based hardware. Here in Canada, our major CDMA network (the Bell/Telus shared network, or Belus as I call it) is actually moving to HSPDA, with parts of the network going online any time now. Even a "World Phone" that can work on both networks is preferable to a CDMA-only device.
    I know the European GSM Pre is about to drop, and I've heard rumours about the North American version being close behind as well, but until I can hold it in my hand, I'm not counting on it.
    3)No Trackball. I know I just gave the touchscreen a big thumbs up, but I can't deny the usefulness of the BlackBerry's trackball. Ideally, I want both. If I can only have one or the other, the trackball would probably win.

Now with all that said here's some reasons I love and hate my Berry.
    Love it!
    1)"There's an app for that." I know it's not a fair comparison, as the Pre (and webOS) is only a few months old, but between the CrackBerry app store and the official app store, there is an app (usually several choices actually) for pretty much everything on my Curve.
    2)Tethering. I'm on the road a lot and I use my Curve as my internet connection whenever I'm out of wifi range. I read that Sprint doesn't allow tethering with the Pre, but I'm in Canada and I haven't heard either way about Bell. However my Curve will tether over BT or USB.
    3)E-Mail. You knew this one was coming. The BlackBerry is still the premiere mobile e-mail platform. Period. At least 33% of the use my Curve sees is e-mail.
    4)BBM!
    BlackBerry Messenger is way handier than I had ever imagined. I absolutely love it! Most of my most important contacts have Berries, so BBM is super handy for keeping in touch.

Hate it!
    1)SLOW! My Curve is too damn slow, both for apps and the cursed EDGE connection speed.
    I've even heard from a friend, who recently moved from WinMo to a BBTour, that he finds the OS slow compared to his WinMo devices. Not exactly the ringing endorsement I was hoping for from my most trusted IT advisor. I hear the 9700 is supposed to be stupid fast though, so maybe that's my answer?
    2)Not enough Storage. I HATE not having enough space for all the apps I want. I know, that ANY Berry I might upgrade to will have at WAY more space, but right now, it`s an issue.
    3)OS. Maybe not hate it, but the bbOS just seems old fashioned sometimes.
    Having all my apps on one big screen with no way to organize them other than folders is just SO 90's c'mon that's how Windows 3.0 worked. Compared to the iPhone or even my old PalmOS Clies, the BlackBerry just feels like it wasn't designed for lots of apps. And to be fair, it wasn't. The OS does tons of stuff the designers never dreamed of.
    4)Boot time. I don't know how long other devices take to boot, I just know the BerryOS is crazy long. I can boot every computer I own one after another in less time than it takes to boot my Curve. Considering that I pretty much HAVE to do a battery pull every couple days to keep my Berry usable, it`s a PITA.

I'm really torn here. Please help guys (and girls).
    Last edited by smnc; 09-21-09 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Clarification
    09-21-09 08:39 PM
    If after a year on these forums you still have questions about which device to get then perhaps you are looking for someone to help you leave the BB world. Well...if not having 5.0 on a rock solid Curve is a deal breaker for you, then good luck with that Pre.
    09-21-09 09:12 PM
    If after a year on these forums you still have questions about which device to get then perhaps you are looking for someone to help you leave the BB world. Well...if not having 5.0 on a rock solid Curve is a deal breaker for you, then good luck with that Pre.
    That`s a bit cold...
    As I mentioned in my original post, my Curve was used when I got it, but was a great way to test out the BlackBerry waters for me.
    Replacing my 8310 was always in my plans. There have been a few hardware limitations that I have always been unhappy with (EDGE, lack of app space, etc). OS5.0 was just the final straw.
    I figure if I`m going to drop a load of cash for a new device, then maybe I should weigh my options. I`ve already eliminated Android and WinMo from my choices, leaving it to webOS and BB for the finals.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-21-09 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Content moderation
    09-21-09 09:32 PM
    Storm 2 if you really want a touch screen device. Otherwise a Curve 8900 is good and with UMA and Wi-Fi you can't go wrong. Not to mention huge amounts of app space.
    09-21-09 09:39 PM
    Storm 2 if you really want a touch screen device. Otherwise a Curve 8900 is good and with UMA and Wi-Fi you can't go wrong. Not to mention huge amounts of app space.
    I really want a touchscreen, but the keyboard is more important. I think I mentioned somewhere in my post that I type a lot of e-mails on my Curve, and I just cannot adjust to on-screen keyboards, so the Storm 2 is out.

I REALLY like the Curve 8900, and if it was 3G I would probably have bought one already...
    mmm... Javelin..... But I just can't stick with EDGE speeds anymore...

I have also looked at the Bold and Tour. The bold is just too big for me, and I'm not nuts about the keyboard. The Tour is better, and is a contender...
    Last edited by smnc; 09-21-09 at 11:44 PM.
    09-21-09 09:47 PM
    You should wait until the 9700 comes out and take a chance on all the other BB going down in price and you should be able to try out all the phones on your list in the store and then make a choice on what you want. This site is great for help and tips but that first reply is right if you haven't been swayed to use a BB by this site in a year then one thread will not change your mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 10:00 PM
    From what I've read, the 9700 should address both of my BlackBerry hardware complaints. I'll still have to deal with the shortcomings of an antiquated OS, but even with my complaints about the BlackBerryOS, I still think it's the best platform out there.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything here, but it feels like you guys want to shun me just because I'm considering something that isn't a RIM device?
    I don't see what's so wrong about stacking two platforms side-by-side and seeing which one is better? Or at least better for me.

Is my Curve PERFECT? No, of course not.
    Is any BlackBerry PERFECT? Again, of course not. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

So what makes the BlackBerry so much better?
    Why is it so wrong of me to ask that question?

The two BlackBerries I'm giving hard consideration to are the Tour and the 9700. Why are they superior to the Pre?
    09-21-09 11:41 PM
    The problem with asking this question is NO ONE can tell you what is best for you. Only you can determine that. You have all the information, pro and cons, likes and dislikes from a years worth of forum use. So...essentially what you are asking is for someone to make the choice for you. You need to determine what is best for you and go with it, if you are wrong you will have to take the blame and fix it. Most carriers give you 30 days to try them out at which time you can cancel if it's not for you and go with the other device. On top of that, you are asking for a comparison of 2 competing devices on a forum that primarily discusses only one of them. At best you will get biased feedback.

I say, get the 8900 on AT&T with the data plan on the unlimited talk time plan. Add the unlimited text messaging and the phone insurance. Oh, and don't forget the roadside assistance feature.
    09-22-09 12:39 AM
    I'm a former Palm user and still have a soft spot for them. I was waiting for the Pre to arrive as I was hoping that would be the solution for me. I spent hours at a few different Sprint stores playing with them. In the end, I liked the new OS.

However I felt it needed a little more work. As for build quality....very disappointed. Too many issues reported by owners. Most of the store demos were not holding up well. I know that is a tough environment but all the other phones face the same rigorous abuse. Most of them hold up much better. The keyboard was just OK at best on the Pre. The flimsy slider was a disappointment too. On top of that apps would take a while to become available in any significant numbers.

So, I began to look elsewhere. I found myself always coming back to Blackberries. Why? Well Built. Stable platform. Good variety of Apps. And the new Tour was coming to Sprint which I wanted to stay with. On top of that the idea of a world phone was very appealing. I had to wait a while for the Tour to hit the shelves. Unlike the Pre, I did not have to visit several stores on different days to convince myself to buy it. Within 30 minutes, I knew I had found my new phone.

I have not given up on the Palm webOS. But in a year or two if I do get the urge to retire the Tour, it is going to take something exceptionally good to drag me away from a BB. Time will tell. At this point I have no regrets about the Tour. It just plain works. I would say play it safe and whichever flavor you choose, go with a current or upcoming BB.
    09-22-09 12:42 AM
    The problem with asking this question is NO ONE can tell you what is best for you. Only you can determine that.
    I'm not asking for anyone to tell me what to do.
    I guess I phrased things poorly, but what I'm after is this:
    In YOUR OPINION, what makes the BlackBerry Superior to the Pre?

On top of that, you are asking for a comparison of 2 competing devices on a forum that primarily discusses only one of them. At best you will get biased feedback.
    I'm actually counting on a biased opinion.
    I posted basically the same question on the PreCentral forums, so they can try to tell me what makes the Pre superior.
    09-22-09 12:54 AM
    I'm not asking for anyone to tell me what to do.
    I guess I phrased things poorly, but what I'm after is this:
    In YOUR OPINION, what makes the BlackBerry Superior to the Pre?

I'm actually counting on a biased opinion.
    I posted basically the same question on the PreCentral forums, so they can try to tell me what makes the Pre superior.
    It's still a tough question for someone else to answer, because not many have had a BB and a Pre and those who have, have based their opinion on the one that best meets their needs. It just like people who say a BB without a data plan is a waste. As the owner of a BB without a data plan I disagree completely.

I would suggest you check the new posts because there is a thread titled Never buy a Pre or something to that effect. Might have some good insight.

Edit:

Here's the thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f147/do...e-ever-317582/
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-22-09 at 01:12 AM.
    09-22-09 01:02 AM
    I don't know if this will make much sense given I am new here, but my opinion!

I am a technical person! I build Computers for myself and friends and whatnot and constantly used to battle with the "this or that". I have come to realize in my life that sometimes X is as good as Y with just different options. Something I done a long time ago to battle this was to become a supporter (if this makes sense).

If you are having a hard time making a choice, chances are both choices are good and will work for you (whatever the choices may be). Now it boils down to what you want to do. I have found it easier to look at what a company has as a long term past goal, as well as how well this company takes care of customers. Do they fulfill the niche to what they belong to my standards?

If I compare and like the principles of X company, I become a supporter! This gives me the warm fuzzy feeling of doing something I think is right and also has the added bonus of making choices easier.

Case and point, if I like my BB (new), I will always buy BB! Even if they make a device that is slightly off par with something else, I will buy it! I will convince myself I am supporting the ongoing development from BB and nothing will change my mind (unless of course they continue to offer sub-par products and at that point I will look elsewhere).

Hope I make sense!
    09-22-09 01:11 AM
    I don't know if this will make much sense given I am new here, but my opinion!

I am a technical person! I build Computers for myself and friends and whatnot and constantly used to battle with the "this or that". I have come to realize in my life that sometimes X is as good as Y with just different options. Something I done a long time ago to battle this was to become a supporter (if this makes sense).

If you are having a hard time making a choice, chances are both choices are good and will work for you (whatever the choices may be). Now it boils down to what you want to do. I have found it easier to look at what a company has as a long term past goal, as well as how well this company takes care of customers. Do they fulfill the niche to what they belong to my standards?

If I compare and like the principles of X company, I become a supporter! This gives me the warm fuzzy feeling of doing something I think is right and also has the added bonus of making choices easier.

Case and point, if I like my BB (new), I will always buy BB! Even if they make a device that is slightly off par with something else, I will buy it! I will convince myself I am supporting the ongoing development from BB and nothing will change my mind (unless of course they continue to offer sub-par products and at that point I will look elsewhere).

Hope I make sense!
    LOL...I was lost at first but you brought it together. I see where you are coming from and that is kind of my point to him. It all comes down to what works for you. My first purchased cell phone was a big brick of Nokia but even though Motorola had the market and was sworn to by many, I was very happy with my Nokia and I subsequestly went with it through 3 more upgrades. All that time I would sing the praises of the dependability of Nokia and the inherant problems with Motorola and their flip phones having never owned one based solely on what I had heard about them. When the time came to get a phone that had texting I discovered that one of the key features of my Nokia love had been changed and I was now in the market for a new device that had the desired feature. Wouldn't ya know it...it was a Motorola flip. The V551 to be exact. I swore by that phone for 6 years until mine started to have issues with staying turned on. I switched to my wife's V551 since she had gotten a Razr from my sister and within a week of taking over her unused phone, her Razr broke. At that point I was in the market for a phone that would synch with all of my Outlook data and the only device available that did this with ease and met a few other criteria was the BB. Now I am, as you say, a Blackberry supporter and even though I have not used a single other smartphone I reccomend the BB to everyone I know and even when given negatives to owning one, I will still argue the benefits. Of course now that AT&T requires a data plan I will have to suggest a dumbphone for those who refuse to get the data plan but I still think the BB is the greatest phone ever.
    09-22-09 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD