Hey all,
    So I've been a commited BlackBerry user ever since I serendipitously became the owner of a 9000 almost a decade ago.

Cut to today and I've been using a BlackBerry ever since. I've had a passport for about 2 years and have been conscious of the fact that it's the last true BlackBerry and questioned what I'd do for my next device when the time came. Last week the time came. I noticed the phone could barely get a signal and a few minutes later it became a victim of the 'emergency calls only' bug'--which according to forums appears to be an all too common issue (OT: has anyone with this issue tried replacing the antenna? - I doubt it's the RF transceiver as GPS still works, yet the phone is still getting a signal just not on the proper band).
    I file an insurance claim, pay $120 deductible (barely worth it), only to be informed they don't have another Passport to replace it with and they instead ship me a Samsung Galaxy S7.

The main reason I've stubbornly stuck with BlackBerry is because of the keyboard, I can't type with a touch screen. I've been told I'd adjust to it after a few days and but based on my limited experience doubt that will ever happen, and certainly not close to the speed necessary to transcribe my stream of consciousness (I know people who claim the touch keyboard is faster and I'm straight out calling them either delusional or lairs).

My current situation is that I don't know what to do about a phone and was hoping to get the advice of my fellow holdouts. I'm really stuck here and don't know what to do.

I really don't feel like spending $600+ on a phone right now if I can avoid it especially since the keyone (or whatever) doesn't seem worth the money.
    Also really don't want another Passport as this would be my 3rd since the phone has been plagued by problems (what wasted potential).

I've kinda had my eye on the Priv, what do people think of it? I'm not a fan of the slide out keyboard but it would give me a good chance to 'practice' on a virtual keyboard while having the physical one as a option - what to people think of the keyboard on this device.
    I know there are reviews out there but I can't go by them, for example I would have given the Passport the highest praise during the first few weeks.
    I probably could have saved everyone a bunch of reading by just asking for opinions on the Priv but wanted to explain my position and also ask if there's another device to consider, or should I just stick it out with the samsung? am open to other options if anyone can suggest one.

Wish I was in a position to create a kickstarter for a phone with a keyboard, really surprised no one has tried this. Anyway advice and suggestions are seriously appreciated!
    04-27-17 04:39 PM
    I really enjoy my priv. I got it in january coming from a Q10. Android is real easy to adjust to IMO. Keyboard is a little flat at first but gets more clicky with about a month or 2 of use. I haven't had any overheating issues as some have but mine updated to marshmallow out of the box, as will your if you buy one.

You can get unlocked for GSM around $300 or less right now. Happy to answer any additional questions you might have. I'll switch to keyone eventually but likely not at US release time.
    04-27-17 04:44 PM
    Hello first of all its a pleasure exchanging opinions with a true BlackBerry especially the essence of PKB. Rare species now days although not fully extinct! Like yourself did a jum more a lateral move from Passport SE to a PRIV. Still using the SE but main Driver PRIV. Bottom line some key adjustments but BlackBerry inhouse apps have helped a lot. Have tried the KEYᴼᴺᴱ and yes was impressed that is an awesome option right now. Also bot going to lie that PRIV direct from BlackBerry avaible at an incredible price of $299 which is awesome. It's a personal decision but myself after seeing the K1 would go for recent device.
    Good luck!
    04-27-17 04:47 PM
    I will swap your S7 for a passport. Think I have one laying around.
    04-27-17 04:51 PM
    On a different note. try loading the BB keyboard on it. and use BB suite. You pretty much would be 90% there. and performance and apps alone make up for that 10%.
    04-27-17 04:52 PM
    Had most every Curve up to the Bold 9900 then Q10, like you had a few Passports before the novelty faded away.

I use the Classic now, and an iPhone as a back up for Facetime and a few apps that I can't get on Colbalts Playstore or Snap.

We had the Priv ( still in its box in a drawer) , hated Android and didn't like the awkward feel of the Priv when the screen was raised to use its too squishy and soft keyboard.

That's as much info I can give you on the Priv. The only BlackBerry I use today is the Classic amazing keyboard coupled with OS10 that's all I want.

If you're done with the Passport and want to stay with OS10 check out the Classic, I don't miss it's screen size of the Passport at all.

 Passport SQW100-1/ 10.3.1.2876, Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576, Classic SQC100-4/ 10.3.3.2205 
    04-27-17 09:27 PM
    For $120 you could buy a Passport in decent condition. I know of one on Reddit going for $100.

There's no need to stop using BlackBerry unless you choose to. I just bought a Classic for $100 and it's almost brand new.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 06:42 AM
    I'd skip the Priv. It was a first effort from BlackBerry and I wouldn't recommend it. The battery life is marginal at best, the phone suffers from lag (at least mine does, and I know what I'm doing with Android), the camera is pretty bad in low light, and the keyboard sucks. Its awkward to type on and the keys are cheap plastic with no feel to them. I've had mine since launch and have pretty much shelved it and will give the KEYone a try when it comes out.
    04-28-17 07:14 AM
    I'd skip the Priv. It was a first effort from BlackBerry and I wouldn't recommend it. The battery life is marginal at best, the phone suffers from lag (at least mine does, and I know what I'm doing with Android), the camera is pretty bad in low light, and the keyboard sucks. Its awkward to type on and the keys are cheap plastic with no feel to them. I've had mine since launch and have pretty much shelved it and will give the KEYone a try when it comes out.
    Which variant? I'm looking. PM me.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 08:27 AM
    I went from a Classic to a PRIV. Before the Classic I had a 9810 slider and loved the slider form factor.

So, I am a PRIV fan. There are a number of tweaks to extend battery life. The only time I have to recharge during the day (6 am to 11 pm) is if I am streaming things from the cloud.
    The keyboard is NOT as good as the Classic's, but I can live with it, to have a PKB.

Large screen is great. I don't notice lag, no performance issues. Excellent for reading books, both Kobo and Kindle.

In some places you can get as $0 on a 2 year contract.

KeyONE will be more Passport-like, but more expensive.
    04-28-17 09:56 AM
    I also went Passport > Priv. I previously had a Torch 9810 and liked it, so there was no adjustment for me with the Priv kb. A real 4th row is far better than the Passport's soft 4th row. The only thing I miss from the Passport is no punctuation marks in predicted words, only the actual words.

Battery life varies greatly due to app permissions and syncing. I have disabled location services for all apps except Maps, and disabled pretty much all the frills on FB. I usually have 50% battery left when I plug the phone charger at night.

I will probably skip the K1 and wait for the next pkb phone.
    04-28-17 08:00 PM
    sell the S7 and get a KeyOne.
    04-28-17 08:21 PM
    I think it might depend on which Priv u get. I bought mine from ShopBlackberry, have had it for almost two years. I use it heavily for work, and still have about 60 -70 percent battery left at about 3pm. I start my day at 6:30am. No lag, no heat and it gets better with each update. I had the 9900, Q10 and Classic. The keyboard is really not bad for a slider. I will probably get the K1 only because I like that form factor better but I am definitely a fan of the Priv. And no creaks either.
    04-28-17 10:57 PM
    I think it might depend on which Priv u get. I bought mine from ShopBlackberry, have had it for almost two years. I use it heavily for work, and still have about 60 -70 percent battery left at about 3pm. I start my day at 6:30am. No lag, no heat and it gets better with each update. I had the 9900, Q10 and Classic. The keyboard is really not bad for a slider. I will probably get the K1 only because I like that form factor better but I am definitely a fan of the Priv. And no creaks either.
    I'm lucky to have experienced none of the discussed issues with my Priv when I purchased mine seven months ago. But I did update to marshmallow upon unboxing. I stayed at the sidelines lusting over the Priv since it was launched in late 2015, as I could not imagine paying almost $900 where I live when it came out.

I came from the Q10, and to be honest, the pkb on the Q10 is superior. But I was able to adjust to the pkb of the Priv within a few hours, but given a choice, the Q10's is still superior. I'll probably get the Key One when it drops down to below $400, but for now, the Priv ticks all I need in a primary phone. I still keep my Q10 as a backup phone.
    04-29-17 04:51 AM