Can someone elaborate on the security issues with the Blackberry platform; specifically, why would the Secret Service tell someone under them they cannot use them (Barack, for example).

Apart from the obvious, where miscreant Verizon employees were snooping records too easily, what else is there. Blackberry claims this is one of the most secure platforms.

So what do people like Presidential staff use for a cell provider? I bet it won't be Verizon anymore ;-)
    11-21-08 08:22 AM
    The reason why the President is not allowed to use a BB is because (and i saw this on the News) the Secret Service monitors ALL incoming and outgoing emails from the White House... when an email is sent from a BB, it cannot be scanned first.

It's a Presidential security issue, not a phone issue. It's all over the internet if you Google it
    11-21-08 08:46 AM
    Also, CNN pointed out that the Verizon employees only snooped into his voice call records, NOT his BB email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 09:03 AM
    Yeah the phone was just a voice flip phone, not his BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 10:02 AM
    So, the Secret Service runs their own cellular network? LOL How do they propose to scan other phones SMTP I/O. Sounds like there may be more involved than just that.

They must have some access agreement to monitor and scan all traffic, with a given provider (or providers).

The reason why the President is not allowed to use a BB is because (and i saw this on the News) the Secret Service monitors ALL incoming and outgoing emails from the White House... when an email is sent from a BB, it cannot be scanned first.

It's a Presidential security issue, not a phone issue. It's all over the internet if you Google it
    11-21-08 07:56 PM
    So, the Secret Service runs their own cellular network? LOL How do they propose to scan other phones SMTP I/O. Sounds like there may be more involved than just that.

They must have some access agreement to monitor and scan all traffic, with a given provider (or providers).
    Well, in fact, there was a story a few months back about that. The Gov't has it's own private room at AT&T so it can monitor traffic.

Here's a similar article to the one I read: Top Secret Gov't Spying room revealed by AT&T Whistleblower [VIDEO] | Video | AlterNet
    11-22-08 05:10 AM
    It also has to do with email and the fact that any email the president sends or recieves must be archived and can subpoenaed by congress and the courts.
    11-22-08 05:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD