Now, since I got a blackberry, I've kind of become obsessed with the idea of minimising my Internet footprint. I love the Web, and all it offers, but I dislike how much of me is out there. So, I've gotten rid of Facebook (finally) and LinkedIn (which is waaaaaay worse and publishing your personal info IMO). Now I wanna get rid of Google Email. Because, Lord know, Google already knows enough about me, they DONT need my emails and contacts and calendars too.

However, I don't know of any good alternatives!

I LIKE having my contacts synchronised between devices. Same with my calendars. So, all you security minded folk out there, what is an email service that I could start using that would let me sync my contacts and calendars and such, but that isn't owned by a giant info-mining company like Google or Microsoft? Even better, are there any suggested encrypted email services?

And in my dream of dreams, blackberry would create an emails Server. But I'll save that for my dreams, I guess.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    Mo Cat likes this.
    07-30-14 04:54 PM
    Try run box, safe secure offshore.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 06:26 PM
    I'm waiting on Proton Mail to finish up their beta testing.

https://protonmail.ch
    campbecw likes this.
    07-30-14 06:32 PM
    Mail server by BlackBerry is good idea!

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 06:35 PM
    How private are you tho if you are sending and receiving those emails to the same services that you are avoiding. You don't have control of your contacts contacts and what info they are attaching that identify you.
    07-30-14 06:37 PM
    Legacy BlackBerry phones do allow you to set up free blackberry.net email addresses, which are probably more secure and private than Gmail or Outlook.com.

For example, mine looks like [email protected]

I know that doesn't help BB10 owners, but it's something.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-30-14 06:44 PM
    How private are you tho if you are sending and receiving those emails to the same services that you are avoiding. You don't have control of your contacts contacts and what info they are attaching that identify you.
    I 100% get that concern. And yeah, it's a problem. I'd like people to be able to communicate with me... but at some point my emails that I send from a secure server are registering in these other folks' servers.

I think it's an imperfect solution, but a step in the right direction. Unless everyone starts abandoning these accounts, there's little to be done about it. But my general theory is, do as much as you can; if a thief wants in your house bad enough, there's diddlyshhitt you can do about it. But that doesn't mean you should leave your doors unlocked and put out a welcome mat.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    07-30-14 06:44 PM
    I 100% get that concern. And yeah, it's a problem. I'd like people to be able to communicate with me... but at some point my emails that I send from a secure server are registering in these other folks' servers.

I think it's an imperfect solution, but a step in the right direction. Unless everyone starts abandoning these accounts, there's little to be done about it. But my general theory is, do as much as you can; if a thief wants in your house bad enough, there's diddlyshhitt you can do about it. But that doesn't mean you should leave your doors unlocked and put out a welcome mat.

Some do it this way.....

We support sending encrypted communication to non-ProtonMail users via symmetric encryption. When you send an encrypted message to a non-ProtonMail user, they receive a link which loads the encrypted message onto their browser which they can decrypt using a decryption passphrase that you have shared with them. You can also send unencrypted messages to Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook and others, just like regular email.
    07-30-14 06:53 PM
    Try startmail when it becomes available. Non us encrypted messaging service. I'm a beta user and it works great.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 07:06 PM
    Neomailbox.ch is great!!
    07-30-14 08:13 PM
    Legacy BlackBerry phones do allow you to set up free blackberry.net email addresses, which are probably more secure and private than Gmail or Outlook.com.

For example, mine looks like [email protected]

I know that doesn't help BB10 owners, but it's something.

How do you do an email address like that using a legacy device? I have a curve. I might give it a try.

PH - BlackBerry 10 - Z10 - deal with it
    07-30-14 08:17 PM
    I would pay money for an BlackBerry email service. Something similar to my outlook account.

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    07-30-14 08:27 PM
    How do you do an email address like that using a legacy device? I have a curve. I might give it a try.

PH - BlackBerry 10 - Z10 - deal with it
    I'm not sure what carrier you are using, but here's how to set it up on Verizon:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=isTSTg0e

07-30-14 09:11 PM
    Just addressing your contact and calendar issue, why not get the app "Backup Pro". Then you can manually sync your contacts and calendar between handsets via the cloud.

Choose from several cloud providers and simply use an anonymous account. Backup Pro also offers encrypted cloud backup.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 02:26 PM
    I would pay money for an BlackBerry email service. Something similar to my outlook account.

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    I'm not a big tech person as far as understanding how it works/costs but I would think it wouldn't be too hard for BlackBerry to make a outlook type of email service. It would bring it revenue for BlackBerry I know there would be a bunch that would subscribe to it

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 04:30 PM
    Write a note on a piece of paper. Put it in an envelope with a stamp on it. Go to the mailbox....... forget it, that's probably not secure either.

�To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others� Buddha
    08-01-14 07:56 PM
    I'm waiting on Proton Mail to finish up their beta testing.

https://protonmail.ch
    I think BlackBerry should buy them out.

Differentiate or Die
    08-01-14 08:29 PM
    Write a note on a piece of paper. Put it in an envelope with a stamp on it. Go to the mailbox....... forget it, that's probably not secure either.

“To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others” Buddha
    It's KNOWN that they photocopy the outside of each envelope. It's only assumed they can see inside to some degree through various techniques.
    08-01-14 08:36 PM
    Hosted BES10 works pretty well for my needs.

I use exchangemymail to sync mail, notes, calendars, tasks with Outlook, iDevices, etc.
    08-01-14 09:04 PM
    how do you like exchangemymail

did you migrate from another service provider? Was the migration pretty easy?
    09-03-14 05:31 PM