I have a blackberry bold 9780 with a 2 GB memory card, and it says i only have enough room for 9 pictures and id just taken 275 off and backed them up to my computer so surely i should have loads left?!

I've been to my memory card to see whats taking up all the memory.
    (menu - media - blackberry button - memory use)

It then scans my memory and tells me i have used 99% of my memory so i clicked on 'details' and it says i have;
    1.1 GB of music
    33 MB of pictures
    665 KB of documents
    641.6 MB of other
    9.7 MB of free

Can anyone tell me whats in the OTHER section and if theres anything i can delete?

Thanks Mark.
    02-08-12 11:28 AM
    did you try a battery pull and see if that clears up?
    02-08-12 12:12 PM
    Anything outside the normal folders would be "other". App caches, files you've added, blah blah blah. Easiest viewed on the PC. Make sure you look at hidden files too.

If it still doesn't add up, Options->Storage->Menu->Repair, then see how the storage displays.
    02-08-12 12:18 PM
    And it won't add up to 2gigs anyway. All cards use some of the memory for formatting.
    02-08-12 10:09 PM
    And it won't add up to 2gigs anyway. All cards use some of the memory for formatting.

A 2 gig card will report 1.8 gig total, not only because of formatting but mainly because storage manufacturers typically list a megabyte as 1,000,000 (or 10^6) bytes, and the OS (BBOS in this instance) lists a megabyte as 1,048,576 (or 2^20) bytes. What you're seeing is the difference between the decimal representation, and the binary representation. Either way, the space is the same. Thank the marketing departments for choosing the decimal side so it looks bigger than it is.

Formatting does use some space (~5%), but not all of the ~10% difference you're seeing.
    02-08-12 10:43 PM
    Ok it doesn't say that it only adds up to 1.8, and I've deleted pretty much all my pas barring the ones i actually use and still no difference really i just can't seem to find 600 odd mb of 'other' stuff on my phone.

any advice on how to clear all my caches would be appreciated.
    02-09-12 04:27 AM
    Best bet as I said before, view it via USB, and be sure to view hidden files. Other method would be to use a file management app on the phone. Rock File Manager is a nice free one, available in App World. A couple files that could be large are the thumbs in \BlackBerry\system\media. Those can be deleted, along with any BBThumbs.dat you find.
    02-09-12 04:35 AM
    Delete all of the folders using filescoutlite, then go into options, type memory, then choose to safely remove card, then choose install card. It'll recreate the empty folders. Removing the Appworld folder might help, or just delete everything except Music, Videos, Camera. Pictures isn't needed (if your device saves to it, then meh, leave it alone).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 04:35 AM
    Delete all of the folders using filescoutlite, then go into options, type memory, then choose to safely remove card, then choose install card. It'll recreate the empty folders. Removing the Appworld folder might help, or just delete everything except Music, Videos, Camera. Pictures isn't needed (if your device saves to it, then meh, leave it alone).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    Root, if he deletes the folders, he'll lose all his stored media.
    02-09-12 04:54 AM
    Root, if he deletes the folders, he'll lose all his stored media.
    I meant delete all but /music, /pictures, /videos, /camera.
    02-09-12 04:58 AM
    ok new development, I've deleted all my song in an attempt to make space for new ones and now it says i have no songs but the memory card is full when i look at what is taking up the memory it says its the 'other' so anything i delete automatically gets fill up with 'other'? this is frustrating!!!!!!!

would it be a faulty memory card? , I've just updated to os6 btw sorry didn't mention earlier if that makes difference?
    02-09-12 06:12 AM
    ok new development, I've deleted all my song in an attempt to make space for new ones and now it says i have no songs but the memory card is full when i look at what is taking up the memory it says its the 'other' so anything i delete automatically gets fill up with 'other'? this is frustrating!!!!!!!

would it be a faulty memory card? , I've just updated to os6 btw sorry didn't mention earlier if that makes difference?
    Did you do this all on the computer?
    Did you try formatting the card using the computer and using an external memory card reader?
    02-09-12 06:17 AM
    Just plug it to a computer and try to find folders with large size and look there for some junk files and inner folders.
    02-09-12 06:17 AM
    any suffering with same problem should reformat their memory card, i should have realised this ages ago when i updated but only just come to me thanks anyway guys.
    02-09-12 06:23 AM
    Ughhhhhhhhh! Why you didn't do a repair first, and look at the hidden files second is beyond me. Probably would have easily resolved your problem, eliminating all the deleting/reformatting you did. Start simple, and build up to nuclear.
    02-09-12 06:55 AM
    Peers through the giant mushroom cloud at the sd card!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-09-12 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD