i have a bb curve 8310, and my unlock code wouldn't go through. i ended up using all my attempts, and now my bb wiped all my info out and is "scrubbing"? it's taking a long time.. what happened and do i have to put everything back on now?

i'm very frustrated.
    12-15-07 06:36 PM
    10 incorrect password attempts wipes the device completely. You will need to reinstall the OS on it.

Install Desktop Manager, and install the 8310-specific application package, both, on your PC. Connect your BlackBerry, and run the Application Loader to reload your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-07 07:24 PM
    thanks.. do you have any idea why my password suddenly wouldn't work? it kept asking me to type in 'blackberry' instead. i just want to make sure this doesnt happen again.
    12-15-07 07:32 PM
    Which unlock code are you talking about? Do you mean the password to unlock the keyboard? If so, yes, you will need to reactivate your device either by resending your service books from your BIS account or by calling your IT dept and reactivating on the BES (or both, depending on how you have it set up.

If you have a backup, you can restore the data, but you need to resend the service books/reactivate on BES in order to send/receive email and get on the internet.
    12-15-07 07:37 PM
    10 incorrect password attempts wipes the device completely. You will need to reinstall the OS on it.
    This is not true. A wipe from 10 incorrect passwords deletes data only - not the OS or any applications.
    12-15-07 07:40 PM
    that's a relief. it just came back on, so now im setting everything back up. it seems to be just as it was when i purchased it.
    12-15-07 07:52 PM
    Yep, that's pretty much what it does. See my response over here for what to do next:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/scrubbing-11493/
    12-15-07 07:56 PM
    The "scrubbing" happens if you've enabled content protection in the security settings. Can take 1 to 2 hours to finish.
    12-15-07 08:26 PM
    12-15-07 08:28 PM
    the internet seems to be working without me doing anything as far as resetting it up. and also my applications weren't even deleted. weird.
    12-15-07 08:32 PM
    stelarjess, I have merged your threads. Please do not double post. Help will always come but have patience for members to read your post first.
    12-15-07 08:49 PM
    sorry about that..
    12-15-07 08:52 PM
    That's okay, I know you are new to the forum. Just read the posting guidelines (Forum Rules).

I know we sometimes go into panic mode and we want all the help instantly.
    12-15-07 08:55 PM
    the internet seems to be working without me doing anything as far as resetting it up. and also my applications weren't even deleted. weird.
    Thats cuz it just deletes your data, not your apps. If you were ever to loose your blackberry, no one would be able to read any of your emails, but they might find out that you had google maps on there...which isn't a big deal, right?
    12-15-07 09:03 PM
    i ran through the same scenario but was able to figure it out before the 10 attempts was up. If you KNOW you're typing your password in correctly and keep gettin incorrect password msg's, make sure the your NUM, CAPS, or ALT keys aren't pressed. Could save you a lot of trouble!

J
    12-15-07 09:08 PM
    i ran through the same scenario but was able to figure it out before the 10 attempts was up. If you KNOW you're typing your password in correctly and keep gettin incorrect password msg's, make sure the your NUM, CAPS, or ALT keys aren't pressed. Could save you a lot of trouble!

J
    Thats good advice. Trust me...if you "know" you're typing it correctly, and its telling you that its wrong, you're NOT typing it correctly. The ALT and CAPS keys are usually to blame.

*SIDE NOTE* when entering your password on the computer when using Desktop Manager, be careful. If you enter it wrong here, it will also wipe your BB. what you think your password is, might not be what it actually is. If you encounter this problem, disconnect your BB, unlock it, and open a blank email, or the memopad application, and then type what you think your password is. Whatever is on the screen after you finish typing is what your password actually is.

For example, on a 8800, if you THINK your password is 12345, but you can't get it right in Desktop Manager, try "wersd". As well, on the Pearl devices, if you think it's "november", it could very well be "bocembee"

Hope this helps some people!
    12-15-07 09:19 PM
    This is not true. A wipe from 10 incorrect passwords deletes data only - not the OS or any applications.
    Good to know. I made an assumption, and I was wrong!
    12-16-07 12:57 AM
    I did the same thing today with the 10 incorrect password entries, 7 of them on the computer and 3 straight to the BB Pearl 8130. Then I saw the white screen and the word "scrub...1%" .. AAHHH! LoL.

My first thought was, "Maybe it's just... pretending to erase all the data.. like a theft deterrant or something..." I was in such denial that this informational nuclear bomb was happening.

Frantically I did a google and came across a thread on here. I felt a tiny bit better that it was supposed to be only my personal data being erased and the BB being set back to it's original OS state.

Then came the reset. Then came the white screen and "JVB Error" (or something similar, I don't remember off-hand) followed by the highlighted word "Reset". Pushing on this only option "reset" and the phone would turn off then back on but only back to this same looping screen. And that was it! Nothing more would happen. It stuck to that screen even after several hard resets/battery pulls etc...

SOOOO it was a trip to Verizon in the immediate future, swearing the entire drive there about how ridiculous it was that I couldn't remember which password out of 15 it was. Haha.

Verizon took one look at it, pulled the battery, saw the exact same thing that I did every time I pulled it out.. and then said, "Well, it's probably a defective phone..."
    I wasn't able to reinstall anything via CD since the computer no longer recognized the BlackBerry. Oh well!

So thankfully they replaced it but now it's a matter of remembering all of those deleted calendar events and contacts. Teach me for not backing up my phone every night!

If anyone learns anything from these posts,
    1. Back up your phone whenever possible!
    2. Create passwords you will remember; make sure CAPS etc. are off!
    04-02-08 03:25 PM
    i should really enable my password...i will set a reminder for tomorrow
    04-03-08 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD