is there a way to check to see if your cell is functioning correctly and giving off the correct radiation level. I got a replacement phone which was refurbished and for some reason it does not feel right when I use it? I called verizon and they have no idea what a SAR rating is which is ridicules.
    10-16-08 10:54 AM
    Does not feel right? How so? You're not gonna feel the radio signals given off by a cell phone, even if they were way outta whack....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 11:03 AM
    Oh, and to answer your question, no. At my workplace, we have the gear for checking sar, and its tens of thousands of dollars, and that gear is not sensitive enough to give any meaningful reading for such low harmless levels as a cell phone. The sensitive hear required = mega bucks.

10-16-08 11:10 AM
    hands tingle when the phone is in X1 mode? and no radiation is harmless level... Speaking from experience with S/P brain tumor.,....
    10-16-08 11:13 AM
    Tumors are caused by ionizing radiation. Cell phones give off non-ionizing radiation. Totally different and not comparable. The effects of non-ionizing radiation are essentially heat, and these effects do not accumulate over time as the efffects of ionizing radiation do. There are perfectly safe levels of non-ionizing radiation, and they are far above anything a cell phone gives off.
    Speaking from experience. I'm a radar tech.

10-16-08 11:25 AM
    You can't tell me that prolonged exposure is not going to cause a microwaving effect that results with RDNA changes in the cells. that is why companies don't exceed certain values to reduce harmful effects on people. That is why there has been a increase in acoustic neroma's since the cell phone boom and there a many studies in the works. That is why you are wrong. Thanks for the info though.
    10-16-08 11:58 AM
    Did you say your hands tingle?

10-16-08 12:02 PM
    I can tell you that, and I will again. The 'microwaving' effects you speak of are caused by ionizing radiation, and these effects can accumulate over time with prolonged exposure.

As with non-ionizing, there are dangerous levels yes, but low levels are completely, 100% safe, and effects do not accumulate over time with prolonged exposure.

I *think* the confusion comes in just because of the word 'radiation'. People hear it and think and nuclear reactors and chyernoble (or however its spelled). This is not at all in any way what we are talking about. Radiate means only to give off. Your TV radiates light. A stove radiates heat. Cell phones radiate radio signals. The amount of power requird to cause harm with a radio signal is huge. The whole 'cell phones cause cancer' is typical American fear maungering. They're just trying to sell ya crap.

10-16-08 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD