SAP is one of the biggest enterprise software companies in the world.
    What would their enterprise customers think of this?

SAP CIO Plans to Offer iPhone 5 to Employees to Boost Productivity - The CIO Report - WSJ
    09-13-12 04:03 PM
    SAP is one of the biggest enterprise software companies in the world.
    What would their enterprise customers think of this?

SAP CIO Plans to Offer iPhone 5 to Employees to Boost Productivity - The CIO Report - WSJ
    Without reading the article... I just can't see how #5 can make anyone more productive than #4 or #3.... one more line of symbols on the screen - but same old OS ...

also - the new port on #5 does not (officially) allow for Video/Audio output anymore - so even with an adapter - the presentations can no longer be viewed on a monitor... without the need for even more devices supporting airplay...

Another thing - on Verizon and Sprint - #5 can't do data and voice at the same time

in my world - it would do the opposite of boosting ... it would be THE reason to avoid the product.

This is in no way meant as negativity for any brand phone - rather the statement that an updated hardware on a phone should be increasing a companies productivity... and from my side of the table - #5 does the opposite - removing features instead, - and brushing things off with statements like "you don't need it" - like some company did with NFC etc...

Anyway - this is not a religion - so don't fight,.. people are different--- <warning_ON>just please don't tell me that I don't need features - or that I can be more productive - when you it is not true.. </warning_off>
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 09-14-12 at 08:33 AM.
    09-13-12 08:35 PM
    Seriously? Before spewing garbage, you need to read up on the facts. The iPhone 5 runs iOS6 - a major new release. There are more features than can be listed here. Just to list a very few:
    - launch apps (something BB has very few of) via Siri
    - LTE for higher speed
    - Vastly improved wifi for higher speed
    - Much faster processor
    - iCloud integration with your Notes, Reminders, Documents, now also integrated with desktops
    - Larger screen gives apps much more real estate
    - Improved noise suppression making and receiving calls - with 3 microphones
    - Facetime video conferencing over 3G/LTE (much better quality than skype)

If you really want to run a presentation off your phone by running a cable to a monitor, that option will be available in a few months (well before BB10) - but I have never seen anyone run a presentation like that in the real world.

I don't know what world you live in, but its certainly not earth.
    wheres the shephard. iOS6 is no different besides small enhancements, as is the device. think that its a huge step forward but its frankly nothing to brag abotu coming from Apple.

as for wifi speeds, hardly anyone has a wireless router that will do the speeds of the iPhone capability, NOR do most households have a connection cabable of transfering at the same rate as the G router so tehre is not much of a point to this unless you are trying to transfer files through your own personal network. there isn't even NFC

you know deep down there is not much difference so stop trying to convince yourself that there is
    Donnee likes this.
    09-14-12 01:37 AM
    1 launch apps (something BB has very few of) via Siri
    2 LTE for higher speed
    3 Vastly improved wifi for higher speed
    4 Much faster processor
    5 iCloud integration with your Notes, Reminders, Documents, now also integrated with desktops
    6 Larger screen gives apps much more real estate
    7 Improved noise suppression making and receiving calls - with 3 microphones
    8 Facetime video conferencing over 3G/LTE (much better quality than skype)
    1 Bold 9900 does this already, requires 1 added screen press vs. Iphone
    2 Just surpassed Bold 9900's HSPA+, to be surpassed again in 3 months by BB10
    3 Just caught up to Bold 9900
    4 Just surpassed Bold 9900's 1.2 Ghz, to be surpassed again in 3 months by BB10
    5 We call it Dropbox, not a big deal.
    6 Just surpassed Torch 9860, to be surpassed again in 3 months by BB10
    7 Dual 48Khz Channels Stereo Telephony has been on BB10 for months, IOS will never have that.
    8 Video Chat on Blackberry Playbook is of much higher quality than Facetime on IOS.

8 Reasons given, 8 Failures returned.
    JayR2010 likes this.
    09-14-12 02:35 AM
    Seriously? Before spewing garbage, you need to read up on the facts. The iPhone 5 runs iOS6 - a major new release. There are more features than can be listed here. Just to list a very few:
    - launch apps (something BB has very few of) via Siri
    - LTE for higher speed
    - Vastly improved wifi for higher speed
    - Much faster processor
    - iCloud integration with your Notes, Reminders, Documents, now also integrated with desktops
    - Larger screen gives apps much more real estate
    - Improved noise suppression making and receiving calls - with 3 microphones
    - Facetime video conferencing over 3G/LTE (much better quality than skype)

If you really want to run a presentation off your phone by running a cable to a monitor, that option will be available in a few months (well before BB10) - but I have never seen anyone run a presentation like that in the real world.

I don't know what world you live in, but its certainly not earth.
    I don't know what Earth you live on,
    but in my earth I've run presentations off of my tablet/phone bridged together, if my BlackBerry had microHDMI out I'd skip the tablet all together.
    I've had presentations hosted by people using various phones connected to projectors or screens.

Launching Apps via Siri isn't really a productivity increase, Siri on my iPhone is never used because it is much slower than launching the apps by hand and I don't need to be loud to tell it to do so in public

LTE for higher speeds wont increase productivity for the majority of items, data congestion isn't an issue with email sending/receiving, nor do most productivity apps benefit from the increased bandwidth, video's and audio and downloading LARGE files will be helped, iOS not allowing downloading of files from email while going to the next email is the only advantage of LTE

Again the processor has never been the slowing factor for my iPhone use, the issues are all OS not supporting functions,

iCloud isn't heavily used in Enterprise, anything important shouldn't be stored there, company's like IBM who let users have iPhones, don't allow iCloud,

Larger screen reduces 1 handed productivity because of the top/bottom slip of actionable items in apps, you've just spread the thumb travel 12.5% further. and all existing apps will not scale to the new resolution because of absolute values, so they'll have blackbars, meaning as apps upgrade your actionable icons will move so you'll need new muscle memory on the same device and it wont be uniform, every time you upgrade any device you need to develop new muscle memories, but this app change process on an app centric device will make it a longer process

FaceTime is only good for Apple to Apple, so it isn't really useful for the mass market, though Apple does have a large following, I've yet to run into an Enterprise that deploys Macs to all their staff internally biggest reason being OSX over writes Admin changes so you can't remotely add permissions, so Facetime is only good for mobile to mobile, Skype will still be needed for board room based call ins.

The only Major advantage of the iPhone5 is for Verizon customers getting LTE speeds over 3G CDMA because of how slow 3G CDMA is, but for AT&T users the advantages are next to nothing moving to the iPhone5 from the 4S for Enterprise users.

especially since now you wont have the same connector for your iPad as you do for your phone,
    09-14-12 05:55 AM
    The spin doctors will be running many pro apple propaganda articles despite the reality the iphone is already old and outdated compared to many current phones already on the market. Apple has billions to spend on propaganda . Many are waking up though but some take longer then others.
    09-14-12 06:40 AM
    7 Dual 48Khz Channels Stereo Telephony has been on BB10 for months, IOS will never have that.
    8 Video Chat on Blackberry Playbook is of much higher quality than Facetime on IOS.

Your 8 reasons are ludicrous. Maybe BB10 will surpass the iPhone 5 (and I hope it does), but as of now the handsets you mentioned are inferior in ever way to the iPhone. Forget specs, they don't mean anything and RIM's phones right now are miles behind the competition.
    09-14-12 06:47 AM
    This article appears to be saying they are supporting BYOD....iPhone 5 is no different in that case than Galaxy S3 or BB10 in that aspect. He is saying letting people use their own device makes them more productive.
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-14-12 06:55 AM
    SAP has engineered one of the biggest fads in business history (now abandoned by many of their former clients), so it's rather ironic that they're falling for a fad themselves. BYOD is probably here to stay, but it's not going to save enterprises money. The costs just won't be as obvious.
    09-14-12 07:42 AM
    Your 8 reasons are ludicrous. Maybe BB10 will surpass the iPhone 5 (and I hope it does), but as of now the handsets you mentioned are inferior in ever way to the iPhone. Forget specs, they don't mean anything and RIM's phones right now are miles behind the competition.
    While I agree that his 8 reasons are ludicrous,
    You stating that the BlackBerry is inferior in every way to the current iPhone is more ludicrous

for a lot of my day to day needs the BlackBerry 8330 is better than my iPhone4S.
    09-14-12 07:51 AM
    Well, that's hardly Apple's fault, it's largely a limitation of CDMA voice with CDMA/LTE data.
    09-14-12 08:03 PM
    Well, that's hardly Apple's fault, it's largely a limitation of CDMA voice with CDMA/LTE data.
    That is true.. but this was not directly about Apple or not.. but about a new version of a phone should be able to make a company more productive or not...

that being said .. knowing how the networks operate... the i#5 DO have the hardware needed do handle the voice/LTE/CDMA - but they decided to not include the 3rd antenna because of space restrictions...

but again.. not about the phone maker...
    09-14-12 08:24 PM
    Everyone else manages to do CDMA + LTE voice and data simultaneously

3G and 2G CDMA can't do both,
    09-14-12 08:26 PM
    FWIW, this is the original CIO article
    iPhone 5 and CIOs: What Apple's New Phone Brings to the Enterprise CIO.com

It has some interesting bits, according to Yahoo finance, SAP has a bit over 60K employees, only a quarter has iphones, but BB10 won't be available in the months of October and November to fend off iPhone 5

"The iPhone 5 is going to trigger another wave of devices," says SAP AG CIO Oliver Bussmann, whose company has 13,000 iPhones for employees. "Last year, in the first months after the iPhone 4S launch, we had at least 1,600 [new] devices. We expect similar demand with the iPhone 5 in the months of October and November."

Besides SAP, it also mentioned another enterprise software juggernaut VMWare anticipating a wave of iphone 5s.
    Last edited by moretreelessbush; 09-14-12 at 08:36 PM.
    09-14-12 08:34 PM

LOL did you just list off TWO different devices, one NON-EXISTANT device, and a tablet to compare to ONE iPhone 5? Comical....
    09-14-12 09:43 PM
    wheres the shephard. iOS6 is no different besides small enhancements, as is the device. think that its a huge step forward but its frankly nothing to brag abotu coming from Apple.

as for wifi speeds, hardly anyone has a wireless router that will do the speeds of the iPhone capability, NOR do most households have a connection cabable of transfering at the same rate as the G router so tehre is not much of a point to this unless you are trying to transfer files through your own personal network. there isn't even NFC

you know deep down there is not much difference so stop trying to convince yourself that there is
    . We now know the iPhone and Apple jumped the shark in 2011 | Apple - CNET News
    09-14-12 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD