Hi All,

I have the standard 4Gb micro sd card in my Torch at the moment, having just loaded almost 700 mp3 files on it, its pretty full!

I therefore set about looking at options to increase capacity, I know that the largest micro sd card currently available is 32Gb, but having looked round on the interweb I discovered some old posts from 2007 and 2008 suggesting that Sandisk were in the design stage for a 128Gb micro sd card.

Most of the articles I read said the release date for this was going to be 2011, so as we are now in 2011, I was wondering if anyone knew whether this is actually going to be released this year and when is it likely to arrive?
    03-13-11 01:44 PM
    32 is the most i think at this point, no 64 out yet and that is going to be SDXC which i am not sure all devices with support either
    03-13-11 01:47 PM
    As far as I know too, the current maximum microSDHD card capacity is 32Gb. However this was for OS5.

I have no idea what the maximum Media Card capacity OS6 can support and I just did a search of the BlackBerr/RIM knowledge base and could not find an answer.

Until further information is forthcoming on this subject I would assume that the limit is still 32Gb.
    03-13-11 01:55 PM
    32 is the most i think at this point, no 64 out yet and that is going to be SDXC which i am not sure all devices with support either
    As far as I know too, the current maximum microSDHD card capacity is 32Gb. However this was for OS5.

I have no idea what the maximum Media Card capacity OS6 can support and I just did a search of the BlackBerr/RIM knowledge base and could not find an answer.

Until further information is forthcoming on this subject I would assume that the limit is still 32Gb.
    as Howarmat said

SD = 4GB and UNDER
    SDHC = 4.1GB to 32GB
    SDXC = 32GB to 2TB

SDXC slots will be backwards compatiable but SDHC slots will not work with SDXC media
    03-13-11 11:01 PM
    I wonder....if you put a 128gb card in a phone, and loaded it with a ton of MP3 files, how long it would take to index that music........
    03-14-11 07:37 AM
    Okay,
    Who needs to have a 2 tb Micro SD Card?lol
    03-14-11 07:46 AM
    I wonder....if you put a 128gb card in a phone, and loaded it with a ton of MP3 files, how long it would take to index that music........
    Yup. That will be fun indeed.
    Indexing for even 16GB takes a while.
    03-14-11 08:05 AM
    Pretty sure a 128GB media card would not even work in any BB.
    KB05461-MicroSD card sizes supported by the BlackBerry device software
    Although it doesn't have a capacity for OS6 listed, so I could be wrong.
    03-14-11 01:06 PM
    as Howarmat said

SD = 4GB and UNDER
    SDHC = 4.1GB to 32GB
    SDXC = 32GB to 2TB

SDXC slots will be backwards compatiable but SDHC slots will not work with SDXC media
    It's not actually the microSD {whatever suffix you want} that is the limitation. The limitation is the BlackBerry OS.

I only have the same information as contained in McStoner's post.

OS5 = 32Gb.

I have not seen a physical limit of microSD card size for OS6 - yet.
    03-14-11 01:48 PM
    Okay,

You know...I had the same thought waaaay back in the day when my 500 MEGAbyte hard drive was the height of technological excellence.
    I asked myself 'Now who in their right mind would ever need 11 gigs worth of data!'

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 02:00 PM
    I'm gonna agree. Being almost 30 I've seen computers go from having virtually no HD at all to TB of space. I remember telling my friend that he, in no way shape or form, would ever need 12 GB of space on his new laptop. Now I have more than that in my phone and could fill it up. So times change, and I'm sure we'll get to a point where 2 TB microSD cards will be the norm.

03-14-11 02:27 PM
    It's not actually the microSD {whatever suffix you want} that is the limitation. The limitation is the BlackBerry OS.

I only have the same information as contained in McStoner's post.

OS5 = 32Gb.

I have not seen a physical limit of microSD card size for OS6 - yet.
    Pete if you go to the SD standard group you will discover it IS hardware related,
    It would be pointless for RIM to say that they can address 64GB with OS5 if no hardware supports 64GB.

It is a file system limitation,
    Those that remember FAT, it couldn't address more that 4GB of hard drive spave so you had to partition the giant 10GB hard drives into 3 partitions to use them with Windows 95

I can't confirm it at the moment, but FAT32 is a file system that only supports 32GB with makes me think that SDHC is a FAT32 file system standard since it was a backwards compatible file system with Linux systems and Windows NTFS system

Last edited by deRusett; 03-14-11 at 02:49 PM.
    03-14-11 02:41 PM
    Okay,

I had a computer in University with 4 60GB hard drives, I thought I'd NEVER fill all that space it was crazy most people only had 20GB drives.
    Now I have TB's of back up drives in my house

03-14-11 02:43 PM
    Pete if you go to the SD standard group you will discover it IS hardware related,
    It would be pointless for RIM to say that they can address 64GB with OS5 if no hardware supports 64GB.

It is a file system limitation,
    Those that remember FAT, it couldn't address more that 4GB of hard drive spave so you had to partition the giant 10GB hard drives into 3 partitions to use them with Windows 95

I can't confirm it at the moment, but FAT32 is a file system that only supports 32GB with makes me think that SDHC is a FAT32 file system standard since it was a backwards compatible file system with Linux systems and Windows NTFS system

SD cards up to 2 GB were FAT 16, SDHC went to FAT 32. BlackBerry can use either one. SDXC is supposed to be another read/write format altogether, and as such, I've not even heard what they've selected as yet.

03-14-11 08:07 PM
    Felt like adding as I'm currently contemplating getting a 16gb or a 32gb for over double the price. If the new sdxc becomes compatible with my current BB Bold 9780 I will get the 16gb and just wait out for the sdxc.

My main question is do you think with a firmware/OS update will sdxc become compatible and work?

I know Nintendo did a similar thing with the wii updating SD port to SDHC via a firmware update... But that may be an entirely different thing.
    03-20-11 06:15 PM
    Felt like adding as I'm currently contemplating getting a 16gb or a 32gb for over double the price. If the new sdxc becomes compatible with my current BB Bold 9780 I will get the 16gb and just wait out for the sdxc.

My main question is do you think with a firmware/OS update will sdxc become compatible and work?

I know Nintendo did a similar thing with the wii updating SD port to SDHC via a firmware update... But that may be an entirely different thing.
    That will really depend on the SDXC standard, will it be just a File structure change? or will they have to do something hardware wise? change the pins?
    they could change the hardware and make it backwards compatible with SDHC, but not allow SDHC devices to use SDXC due to hardware

I don't follow the standard enough to know the differences between the 2, as apparent by my mixup between 2GB and 4GB with the FAT filesystem
    03-20-11 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD