So here's the situation guys. My phone's been giving me trouble for the past few months with random restarts and the battery dying really quickly and stuff, so much so that I've kind of stopped using my phone, and being Blackberry users, you guys can understand how hard that is. Now I've tried everything, I even wiped the entire phone by downloading BBSAK and downloading the latest OS available through my carrier (7.1.0.746) and the phone was still giving me trouble. Now i concluded that this was a hardware problem and was about ready to just toss it until yesterday when i decided to start the phone on safe mode. Now the battery's doing great and there have no random restarts..yet. Now i am going to make a confession, I did end up downloading the apps that I had before i wiped the phone and synced my bbm contacts and memopad back so maybe one of them is still the problem but i really don't think so because I'd had those apps way before and the phone was still working fine. Really need a solution to fix this phone.

Oh and one last thing, can I not just run this phone on safe mode ALL the time? what difference does it make?
    Any suggestions are helpful.
    Thanks so much,
    Cheers,
    Raman.
    10-05-13 09:07 AM
    Hi and welcome to CB!
    I had some problems with my 9650 way back when and I too ran my phone in safe mode. However, what I was looking at was memory drain.
    And as soon as I added apps, it started draining again.
    My only advice to you would be to try adding only one app at a time and waiting in between for a long period, like 5 or 6 hours and see if you can eliminate the culprit that is causing your trouble.

In the end, I determined which apps were causing the memory drain and I decided to delete them or use them for myself. If I didn't mind putting up with it, I kept the app. You may have to use the process of elimination and see what you can do.
    beastberry comedy likes this.
    10-05-13 10:26 AM
    Hi and welcome to CB!
    I had some problems with my 9650 way back when and I too ran my phone in safe mode. However, what I was looking at was memory drain.
    And as soon as I added apps, it started draining again.
    My only advice to you would be to try adding only one app at a time and waiting in between for a long period, like 5 or 6 hours and see if you can eliminate the culprit that is causing your trouble.

In the end, I determined which apps were causing the memory drain and I decided to delete them or use them for myself. If I didn't mind putting up with it, I kept the app. You may have to use the process of elimination and see what you can do.
    Thanks for your response jaydee5799
    But I have the same apps in safe mode as I do in the regular mode so i don't understand how the apps could be the problem.
    10-05-13 12:00 PM
    I think you may be mistaking what safe mode loads and doesn't. When your phone starts there are some apps that load automatically in the background (in addition to the 5 static apps that are part of the OS). Safe mode would prevent those from actually loading. You may still see them in the installed app list but I don't think they would do anything until you call on them.

Are you certain that they are actually running. That might make a difference in your troubleshooting efforts.
    10-05-13 12:10 PM
    I think you may be mistaking what safe mode loads and doesn't. When your phone starts there are some apps that load automatically in the background (in addition to the 5 static apps that are part of the OS). Safe mode would prevent those from actually loading. You may still see them in the installed app list but I don't think they would do anything until you call on them.

Are you certain that they are actually running. That might make a difference in your troubleshooting efforts.
    I don't know what the problem is but the phone is still giving me trouble with the battery even in Safe Mode.
    What you've said has intrigued me though, the battery drain started soon after I'd started a game on my phone and has continued, could it be that the app is the problem?
    10-05-13 08:13 PM