Seriously? They couldn't tell you why they hated BBs?
    Were it not for BBM, these are the reasons why I would not be using a Blackberry phone.

1. Laggy performance, unforgivable spinning clocks and OS freezes
    2. General lack of loads of popular, killer apps. Most of the multiplatform apps on Blackberry phones are of worse quality and look measurably UGLIER than their counterparts on iOS, Android and WP. Gaming on Blackberry phones is vastly inferior to all the other platforms. Comes from a combination of small screens and the former CEOs unbelievable STUPIDITY in failing to put a GPU in the OS5 and 6 phones...ensuring that game devs stayed far away from the platform.

3. Unbelievably poor battery life on the flagship 99xx series phones. People try to spin this as a reception issue etc etc, but many people in my country struggle to get their phones to last half the day. Sales of external battery cases have skyrocketed these days.

And as a bonus

4. Tech specs. Current BBs are way behind the competition in tech specs....including screen resolution, camera quality, CPU and GPU prowess, LTE...

The Blackberry brand has been mismanaged badly. I'm looking forward to BB10 when my BB will not just be an OK device with excellent communication features (like BBM) but an awesome phone with awesome apps and awesome first party RIM services.
    Congratulations, you have an informed and educated opinion. That's my point, most of the general public do NOT have an informed opinion. I would rather hear a million people give well thought out reasons, rather than "BlackBerry's just suck". How many people give that type of a blanket statement without ever even holding a BB in their hand!? It's beyond frustrating to me.
    11-21-12 03:42 PM
    Were it not for BBM, these are the reasons why I would not be using a Blackberry phone.

2. General lack of loads of popular, killer apps. Most of the multiplatform apps on Blackberry phones are of worse quality and look measurably UGLIER than their counterparts on iOS, Android and WP. Gaming on Blackberry phones is vastly inferior to all the other platforms. Comes from a combination of small screens and the former CEOs unbelievable STUPIDITY in failing to put a GPU in the OS5 and 6 phones...ensuring that game devs stayed far away from the platform.

3. Unbelievably poor battery life on the flagship 99xx series phones. People try to spin this as a reception issue etc etc, but many people in my country struggle to get their phones to last half the day. Sales of external battery cases have skyrocketed these days.

And as a bonus

4. Tech specs. Current BBs are way behind the competition in tech specs....including screen resolution, camera quality, CPU and GPU prowess, LTE...

The Blackberry brand has been mismanaged badly. I'm looking forward to BB10 when my BB will not just be an OK device with excellent communication features (like BBM) but an awesome phone with awesome apps and awesome first party RIM services.

List of mergers and acquisitions by Research In Motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (anyone can web search this stuff)

But sometimes one great decision is all that is needed. (Even though as you can see they made several great ones before there was even a thought of Thors10 (stepping it up a level) as CEO)

RIM is far more dominante in numerous markets that apple is at the moment, and potentially apple will ever be. iPhone is one good phone is an array of good phones. Doesn't out of the pack like it used to. Apple definitely dominates in NA mindshare, but Mike and Jim put the 6'7" efficiency driven, interview-friendly, perception changing Thor in charge.

I find it completely absurd, stupid and disgusting how Jim and Mike have been spoken about in the media. What about all the other CEOs that have done absolutely nothing. The only successful one I see is Jobs, and that was after a long history of well-documented failures but now hes seen as the pinnacle of CEOs. Page and the other guy had one good application, google search. Android still hasn't been shown to be making any profit for them.
    11-21-12 04:11 PM
    In this day and age people love reading bad news. That's the sad truth.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    toneytone likes this.
    11-21-12 06:43 PM
    Apple definitely dominates in NA mindshare, but Mike and Jim put the 6'7" efficiency driven, interview-friendly, perception changing Thor in charge.
    They only put him in charge after they had done an excellent job of nearly forcing the company underground through sheer incompetence.

I find it completely absurd, stupid and disgusting how Jim and Mike have been spoken about in the media. What about all the other CEOs that have done absolutely nothing. The only successful one I see is Jobs, and that was after a long history of well-documented failures but now hes seen as the pinnacle of CEOs. Page and the other guy had one good application, google search. Android still hasn't been shown to be making any profit for them.
    Ah, then we differ in opinions. What I think is disgusting, absurd and stupid was the brainless launch of the Storm when it wasn't ready for prime-time. The decision to launch a 600Mhz Torch 9800 with no GPU and limited RAM and a resolution way lower than that of the main competitors is perhaps one of the most stupid things I've ever seen. After those two fellows hyped the Torch as a 'revolution', they outed a device with 2008 era hardware to compete against the Retina display iPhone 4, the speedy, AMOLED Galaxy S and other stellar devices from HTC.
    Who can't remember the infamous 'leapfrog the competition' boast that turned out to be hot air?

I'm sure you have perfectly working devices...but whenever I see that infernal spinning clock (or the phone freezes for up to 10 seconds at a time while typing a BBM message) or my battery conks out by 1pm, I know just which two fellows to blame.
    mikeo007 and Rello like this.
    11-22-12 06:48 AM

And as a bonus

On your second point pretty much everyone is in agreement with at least something there, 4th is somewhat debatable (except for the camera quality, cuz GAWD). 1st and 3rd are user-specific.
    11-22-12 12:38 PM
    On your second point pretty much everyone is in agreement with at least something there, 4th is somewhat debatable (except for the camera quality, cuz GAWD). 1st and 3rd are user-specific.
    User-specific, but happens to way too many people
    No 4 is nowhere near debatable...anyone who debates this must have been living under a rock for the past 2 years. A single core CPU paired with a 2010 era GPU, 2009 era screen resolution and no front facing camera...this is a long way off the flagship devices running iOS, Android and WP.
    11-23-12 01:14 AM
    User-specific, but happens to way too many peopleNo 4 is nowhere near debatable...anyone who debates this must have been living under a rock for the past 2 years. A single core CPU paired with a 2010 era GPU, 2009 era screen resolution and no front facing camera...this is a long way off the flagship devices running iOS, Android and WP.
    That was my point - if it runs the software well the specs are merely a points game. The rest are actually features.
    11-23-12 01:26 AM
    That was my point - if it runs the software well the specs are merely a points game. The rest are actually features.
    This is untrue. Demanding apps and graphically intensive 3D games will always struggle on inferior hardware.

No amount of excellence in coding would ever make a PS2 game look as good as Uncharted 3 for PS3, for example.
    11-25-12 09:35 AM
    Damn guys... It really surprises me just how US-bound the views both of the tech press and most of you are. Blackberries are ubiquitous over here, they've only dropped off as of the top selling brand this year, and thats because there hasn't been a new blackberry to buy for well over a year. For all the tech press talk about RIM failing, I have never seen it happening in person. I see schoolkids with curves, I see my fellow commuters with everything from 8900's to 9900's. I see plenty of iPhones and Notes and such too. But I don't see people abandoning their blackberries.

For all I know in the US there might be a pandemic of people storming carrier stores and demanding a new phone and their blackberry destroyed by fire in front of them... I mean that's the picture that the tech-press generally gives and maybe that is true over there. But its certainly not the whole story.

All the problems people bring up with blackberries, well they are all true to a greater or less extent. I'm not going to say any of the ones mentioned here aren't a problem. And yet people use blackberries. A lot of people use blackberries. Not close to as many as use android, and mostly a good few percentage points back from those using iOS, but being third place behind two vast juggernauts of commerce doesn't mean your company is dying.
    11-25-12 10:08 AM
    Damn guys... It really surprises me just how US-bound the views both of the tech press and most of you are. Blackberries are ubiquitous over here, they've only dropped off as of the top selling brand this year, and thats because there hasn't been a new blackberry to buy for well over a year. For all the tech press talk about RIM failing, I have never seen it happening in person. I see schoolkids with curves, I see my fellow commuters with everything from 8900's to 9900's. I see plenty of iPhones and Notes and such too. But I don't see people abandoning their blackberries.

For all I know in the US there might be a pandemic of people storming carrier stores and demanding a new phone and their blackberry destroyed by fire in front of them... I mean that's the picture that the tech-press generally gives and maybe that is true over there. But its certainly not the whole story.

All the problems people bring up with blackberries, well they are all true to a greater or less extent. I'm not going to say any of the ones mentioned here aren't a problem. And yet people use blackberries. A lot of people use blackberries. Not close to as many as use android, and mostly a good few percentage points back from those using iOS, but being third place behind two vast juggernauts of commerce doesn't mean your company is dying.
    I was just thinking, out of my 27 BBM contacts, 9 of them are from US. Maybe a lot of people carry more then one device in US.
    11-25-12 10:58 AM
    I was just thinking, out of my 27 BBM contacts, 9 of them are from US. Maybe a lot of people carry more then one device in US.
    Only 27? Weird....the way the press talk, it would seem like in the UK nearly everyone's on BBM...that narrative was all in the media after the London riots.
    11-26-12 02:49 PM
    Only 27? Weird....the way the press talk, it would seem like in the UK nearly everyone's on BBM...that narrative was all in the media after the London riots.
    BBM is my private club, I don't allow everybody in there. Now my 16 year old niece got a new bold 9900 and in a couple of days she had 50 bbm contacts.
    11-26-12 02:55 PM
    BBM is my private club, I don't allow everybody in there. Now my 16 year old niece got a new bold 9900 and in a couple of days she had 50 bbm contacts.
    I've got 250 contacts and belong to 3 groups. Sometimes I think that's the source of my battery woes but I just cannot bring myself to uninstall BBM even as a test.

That stuff is like crack...the person who thought it up (BBM) should have his salary doubled
    11-27-12 12:13 AM

That stuff is like crack...the person who thought it up (BBM) should have his salary doubled
    Mike and Jim?

Messing with ya, T...I LOL
    11-27-12 12:33 AM
    I was going to call you a doucher but! Yiu are right... To a degree. But see the problem is sites like those, especially bgr and gizmodo really sooooooo biased I question their righting a lot. They back track in things they say when they are wrong. I use to enjoy gizmodo but if they don't like something they will bash it to pieces. Even now engadget is going in that direction so I pretty much don't trust any Site but CB even tho it is biased they are honest. Do you remember when Kevin got sad and said bb is dead but then came back positive and started the rimpire saying? CB has what you would call faith and the only bashing that goes on here is on Vic from Jaguar
    11-27-12 12:48 AM
    Mike and Jim?

Messing with ya, T...I LOL
    11-27-12 02:56 PM
    Wow I sound drunk or foreign in my post above. Sorry everyone. Let me know if you don't get it
    11-27-12 03:58 PM
    I think BB10 will be at least a moderate success, but it will get knocked by the haters on day 1 if it does not have Netflix, Hulu, etc. It could have the greatest mobile OS ever, but if it lacks the functionality the consumer wants, the brainwashed sheep will never even consider buying it. I know Android didn't have a Netflix app right away and still succeeded, but at that point it was pushing the envelope more than any other OS and was extremely well marketed.

BB10 needs good marketing, good word of mouth, and if it doesn't have all the top media apps day 1, it should get it quickly or get nitpicked apart by the tech media and consumers. I mean the Wii U just came out and it already has Netflix, why not BB10? I mean this has been a major drawback to the Playbook since its launch long ago and still hasn't been addressed?
    11-28-12 09:42 AM
43 12