It may not be an issue but I recieved an email that my company is phasing out Blackberry. We have been told not to purchase any Blackberrys moving forward and Blackberry 10 will NOT be supported. With 170,000 employees worldwide it seems like a big hit to me. They started supporting iPhones recently but up till then they were pretty exlusive to BB. They have also announced they will begin support for Android, and as good as that sounds to most I am pretty disapointed. I was really looking forward to BB10.
    12-27-12 10:47 AM
    Too bad.. I'm waiting for the day when some major company gets hit with a major issue surrounding security (if it hasn't happened already) from using these consumer phones for business. I work for Magna Automotive and JCI is a direct competitor of ours. We're still using BB's and most users still order them even though they have an option for iphones.. I think it has to do with the fact it's mostly used for emails, meetings, etc.
    12-27-12 10:55 AM
    Guess you'll have to buy your own then.

Wouldn't that be a switch. Company issues iphone or android and employee wants bb.
    Balti43, BigBadWulf and 00stryder like this.
    12-27-12 10:55 AM
    Maybe they will take a wait-n-watch approach as BB10 is not available yet, and is a first generation OS based off QNX kernel. Once they start getting real world reviews of how it works and especially of BB Balance, they might reconsider their position.

Or else, look on the brighter side. Your company might be running a pilot for BB10 and for the interim have asked employees not to buy RIM devices.
    12-27-12 11:00 AM
    It may not be an issue but I recieved an email that my company is phasing out Blackberry. We have been told not to purchase any Blackberrys moving forward and Blackberry 10 will NOT be supported. With 170,000 employees worldwide it seems like a big hit to me. They started supporting iPhones recently but up till then they were pretty exlusive to BB. They have also announced they will begin support for Android, and as good as that sounds to most I am pretty disapointed. I was really looking forward to BB10.
    It's a large chunk at one time. But, according to my calculator, it's 0.000215% of the 79 million users. Or 2 ten thousandths of 1 percent. They obviously don't see the benefits of Blackberry security or they think device management costs are significantly lower on another platform. That could be true. Or, maybe, one of the managers got blown away by a couple of whiz bang apps on iOS or Android. And those apps could very well be specialized niche things that will make some of your coworkers more productive. I suspect that, in the long term, they'll discover they're wrong about security and device management costs. But there are some very good programmers doing excellent iOS and Android apps that are very specialized. And the app costs reflect that. But it's a balance between immediate costs vs expected increases in productivity and revenue.
    spike12 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-27-12 11:03 AM
    It's a large chink at one time. But, according to my calculator, it's 0.000215% of the 79 million users. Or 2 ten thousandths of 1 percent.
    Check your calculator again......
    Attached Thumbnails [RUMOR] Johnson Controls is phasing out Blackberry!-capture.jpg  
    johnierw likes this.
    12-27-12 11:09 AM
    This is another example of Research In Motion's Business Account Managers not getting in front of their clients ahead of time to address the transition to BlackBerry 10. RIM should have stood-up a consulting division specifically to facilitate a smooth seamless transition to BlackBerry 10 and worked on-site with the client to implement the transition to ensure all their clients were running BlackBerry 10 on the server-side before the availability of any BlackBerry 10 smartphones. And the transition should have been unwritten by Research In Motion w.r.t. the server software and client access licensing.
    12-27-12 11:11 AM
    They'll be back
    12-27-12 11:11 AM
    As a security company, Johnson Controls should think twice about this change. Also, very weird that they would say that they're not supporting BB10.
    12-27-12 11:12 AM
    maybe they didnt get a good deal and got a bargain somewhere else.....expediency is a **** of a thing
    12-27-12 11:16 AM
    Sometimes, purchasing decisions are made by a single person, even in large companies.

Wait until there is a security or data breach and they will be back.

-J
    Waqiuddin, Lehomer and KDB84 like this.
    12-27-12 11:21 AM
    Too bad.. I'm waiting for the day when some major company gets hit with a major issue surrounding security (if it hasn't happened already) from using these consumer phones for business. I work for Magna Automotive and JCI is a direct competitor of ours. We're still using BB's and most users still order them even though they have an option for iphones.. I think it has to do with the fact it's mostly used for emails, meetings, etc.
    they are already getting hit with rising IT costs
    12-27-12 11:26 AM
    It's a large chunk at one time. But, according to my calculator, it's 0.000215% of the 79 million users. Or 2 ten thousandths of 1 percent.
    One fifth of 1 percent actually. Your calcs are off by three orders of magnitude.
    12-27-12 11:30 AM
    As a security company, Johnson Controls should think twice about this change. Also, very weird that they would say that they're not supporting BB10.
    We deal with Jonson Controls more on a Building Management basis, wonder if they are only dropping BB as a communication tool for employes or if they will not be providing monitoring applications for customers to use on BB devices.

And why is not supporting an unknown device and OS so surprising to so many here. BB may have 80 million users but only a fraction will be upgrading over the next year, and by all accounts it is a good possibility that RIM not be successful in luring consumers back. So from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to take the risk of supporting BB10 for now. Of course if RIM is successfully and manages to capture 10% or 15% marketshare and become relevant again, they could always change their position and without having lost anything.

And while RIM might not notice the small percentage of customers that will be leaving.... the fact is this is a TREND that is being repeated over and over and over. After a while they DO add up to numbers that mean something. Also a large company like Johnson Controls is usually a source of profit, both from selling high cost devices at list price and for software and licenses. They same can not be said of the majority of RIM's current device sales.
    ccbs and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-27-12 11:40 AM
    They'll be back...
    12-27-12 11:49 AM
    Folks,

Relax, this is just a guy posting what he heard, or was told. It is NOT fact. There are no leaked emails, and no blog, or article to back this up. Right now we just have someone's word. It may well be true, or he might be misinformed, or who knows. I would certainly not be alarmed at this point.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-27-12 11:55 AM
    The fact is we have heard rumours and even announcements from companies who later change their minds about changing. We have see this happen again and again and again. It's getting a little old .
    12-27-12 11:55 AM
    they are already getting hit with rising IT costs
    I'm not too sure how accurate this article is since it posted by Rim from a 3rd party independent study in terms of cost benefit analysis.

Strategy Analytics Research Study finds the BlackBerry Enterprise Solution to have lowest Total Cost of Ownership

But I don't find that IT departments look deep enough into the overall mobile infrastructure cost benefit analysis. I'll tell you our IT manager hasn't done one is not pro-BB10. He loves Android and was disappointed when Corporate told him Androids are not allowed on our systems due to obvious security concerns.. But he's okay with iphones followed by current BB's. He's trying to tell everyone that BB10 is not coming to our company. I guarantee you he hasn't contacted RIM for a quote or an understanding what it will entail (cost, timing and benefits) to implement BB10. However, I already know that his manager and upper management has seen what BB10 can do and will make him address it. I feel confident that a lot of this is happening at other companies where the bias far outweighs what right for the company and its optimal benefits.
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 12-27-12 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Typos fixed
    12-27-12 11:56 AM
    there are a few IT managers that i'm sure can chime in on this topic
    12-27-12 12:02 PM
    One fifth of 1 percent actually. Your calcs are off by three orders of magnitude.
    You assume all 170k employees are provided with a company phone. Unless the company has been wasteful with corporate funds it is likely only a small proportion will be involved.
    12-27-12 12:11 PM
    One of the things that nudged a switch in my case was the way my company receives its paperwork. They have been using a service which costs several dollars per bundle of work sent in. As sometimes I send in up to three batches a day, multiply that times 5700 drivers, you were talking big bucks daily. They used to use a service that was $10 a batch, and required special envelopes to send them in, which added to the cost.

But now, a one-time payment of $4.99, which they reimburse to the driver, for an application that allows you to photograph the page and convert it to .pdf format, then send them via email, which then sends back a receipt, and we have taken a step into a more cost efficient atmosphere. Now, unfortunately, because the Application isn't available on the current generation of BB, we are limited to Android and iPhone to take advantage of this system. I am hoping that as BB 10 comes into play, the developer will also include support for their app. If not, we may be able to sideload it and take advantage that way.

Businesses will take advantage of what burdens them the least, and BB needs to wow them.
    12-27-12 12:22 PM
    You assume all 170k employees are provided with a company phone. Unless the company has been wasteful with corporate funds it is likely only a small proportion will be involved.
    I was merely commenting on the calculations provided. Sorry, it's the math major in me.
    12-27-12 01:36 PM
    It is shame that they won't allow bb10, some time big bribes at top works..
    lewcat likes this.
    12-27-12 01:46 PM
    Please consider that the people running companies are not security experts. I wish they were. Consider, then, that those in charge are not always there because they are smart: see George Bush Jr and Yahoo's CEO.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    pkcable likes this.
    12-27-12 02:09 PM
    Sometimes, purchasing decisions are made by a single person, even in large companies.

Wait until there is a security or data breach and they will be back.
    -J
    I would say it's usually made by a single person which is usually the manager of the IT department.
    The IT department might do a study, but at the end of the day the Manager makes the decision.
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-27-12 02:26 PM
57 123