This is great news for RIM - getting in on the backend to support all phones with NFC, not just their own. Im just waiting for the day I can unlock my car and get into my building with my phone. Mobile payments are great and all, but there's so much more that can be done with it.
    That day is here! And has been here for several years...Connect2Car: Control your car from a mobile phone. Cell phone integration with Automobiles.
    twstd.reality likes this.
    11-03-12 04:33 PM
    I agree...it could be. But are people ready to embrace it? NFC has been around for some time. BlackBerry wasn't the first platform to offer it, but I think given their security record it would be the platform I would trust it with more than the few Android devices I've had with that capability. Still, I'm not willing to put my faith in it quite yet. If it takes off and millions of transactions go without a hitch I might reconsider. But as of now my wallet and my smartphone will remain separate.
    Amen to that!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 05:18 PM
    Yah but that involves a third party solution with separate gsm coverage running on their servers. More than likely some telemetry enabled equipment that will require monthly services (to use their portal), as well as, extra carrier billing on top of your phone bill. I was talking about a more localised solution without an intermediary using NFC or something to that effect.
    11-03-12 06:40 PM
    Additionally, NFC could have added a whole 3mm to the thickness of the iPhone 5, rendering it unfashionably thick...
    oh no and that would not have worked for the iphone fan folks who are want anorexic phones!
    11-03-12 09:02 PM
    I'm jealous! why it couldn't it be rogers and TD!!!!
    11-03-12 11:31 PM
    3 letters.

NFC
    this apple went with an aluminum casing which doesn't allow NFC, another BlackBerrys are probably the most secure and use the most secure NOC why not choose to use a BlackBerry first, a better question is why shoud the iPhone be the first? just because its all the rage doesn't mean a damn thing

another thing is since iOS is capable of beign jailbroken and payments for apps can be bypassedwhose to say that the same thing can't be done with NFC payments, the logic is pretty sound and i can see some skepticism reguarding this
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 11-04-12 at 01:48 AM.
    11-04-12 01:27 AM
31 12