I posted this in my newly re-minted blog, but thought crackberry users might want to know some of this stuff as well.

So youre going to Beijing for the Olympics this year? Taking your mobile? Hoping to be able to call phone as needed or otherwise stay in touch? Well, youre in luck - if your phone is GSM-based.

China Unicom has carrier agreements with most western carriers, so chances are that if you use a major carrier like T-Mobile, AT&T, Vodafone, O2 or Orange, youre in luck. I have heard, however, that the roaming rates are exceptionally high, though the international rates for a Chinese SIM (if I understand correctly) arent much better. If youve already got a 3G phone - dont worry, chances are youre covered there, as well.

So how can you find out if youll be able to make calls - for GSM, feel free to check GSMWorlds China Unicom roaming partnerships - chances are thatll be your network while in the country.

So you have a carrier that is still using CDMA like Sprint or Verizon? No worries, China has CDMA roaming as well - Verizon specifically states that their roaming charge for China is $1.29 USD/min and offers a city coverage list. Sprint offers a coverage list as well, and states that the rate is $2.29 USD/min for voice.

So there you go, a quick breakdown on the Olympics and international roaming.
    04-15-08 10:21 AM
    I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to protest this thread... haha
    04-15-08 10:36 AM
    I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to protest this thread... haha
    I'm surprised someone hasn't already. Or at least PM'd me about it.
    04-15-08 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD