I'm traveling to Europe next week. I'll have WiFi access for most of the time. Will the calls made via UMA still incur the roaming charge?
    10-26-08 09:53 AM
    No, calls made via UMA (shut off mobile network to be sure you are on UMA) back to the USA incurr no roaming charges. T-mobile has not setup there system to check where you are by IP address so it thinks you are in the states. I have used this extensively when traveling, cuts the bills WAY down. If the wifi you will be getting on requires you to sign in, you can do so via your BB browser. Enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 10:04 AM
    Are there data charges (or other additional charges) when using WiFi calling in Europe?

I am planning on getting the Pearl Flip 8220 from T-Mobile, but I don't want to get a data plan as I don't plan on using it at all. Do the data plans even work in Europe?

And one last question - do I need anything additional to be able to call by WiFi (one of the plans like HotSpot @ Home?)

I'm a total newbie... sorry about the questions!
    11-19-08 06:51 PM
    I'm traveling to Europe next week. I'll have WiFi access for most of the time. Will the calls made via UMA still incur the roaming charge?
    It's my understanding the UMA calling will only work off your router .i.e. you could be in a middle of conversation, and if you leave your home or office, as long as you are still connected though wifi said call will carried over.

However if you end the call, your then using your network provider and not wifi/UMA.
    As for the traveling, if your company in Europe offers UMA and your BB is assigned to their network then yes you can make UMA calls over their wifi.

Just because there's an open wifi connecting doesn't mean you can make calls over the wifi.

Hope this answered your questions!!
    01-01-09 11:21 AM
    Almost.....UMA is specifically through your home carrier (i.e. T-Mobile or Rogers). When in your home country if you are on a UMA call and move away from your router your call will transition to your cell network. When out of the country and on UMA your phone thinks it is at home, if you move away from the router your call will drop because your phone all of the sudden thinks it jumped to another country. When I am traveling and using UMA I turn off the mobile network to make sure I am on UMA and calling for free. Data will run as normal through a router and (if you have no data plan) will not work on the mobile network. Fairly simple. Any questions just PM me.
    01-01-09 12:44 PM
    I just returned from a week in Italy. The UMA feature on the 8900 had lured me into trying TMobile's 8900 instead of the competition (long time Verizon slave), but unfortunately for me the UMA did not work at any of the WIFI hotspots that I was able to use for internet access. I noticed that the IM did not go through either. I even tried a Vodaphone SIM card but had no better luck with it other than at least have a phone number while on the trip. Is the UMA feature unrelated to your location in the world and unrelated to the available carriers in your location? I have noticed that the phone will not always jump to UMA even at my home, and I have to burp it by pulling the battery out. It will then go UMA for a short time and then fall off back to Edge. So perhaps the problem is in the 8900 software. The TMobile support line and the local store sales people have been useless for helping answer this question other than to tell me to make sure I'm set to WiFi preferred.
    04-12-09 06:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD