I am planning a road trip vacation in MI. I am intending to cruise the entire coast line (U.S. Side) and am wondering if BB maps and Google will be sufficient. I have mixed opinions of both for actual "follow me" mapping but they are very useful tools for locating hotels, food, gas. Could these two programs be adequate? I am willing to borrow a friends GPS but I would like to know if what I have already will be sufficient.

All thoughts are welcome.

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 05:44 PM
    I'd suggest borrowing your friend's nav system. Using nav on the BB requires data connectivity. This is particularly true of moving map applications like BB Maps and Google Maps. If you are on a rural coastline road and drive into a dead zone, you might be SOL until you drive back out of it.

Garmin Mobile, MapQuest Mobile and some of the other vector- rather than map-based software may be more tolerant of dead zones. They might download a swath of data that follows your route and works fine as long as you don't deviate too much from the route.

03-03-09 06:56 PM
    Take the GPS, but also snag a paper map of MI too. Sometimes there's no substitute for getting the big picture on a newspaper size sheet versus a 4" screen. A highlighter is handy if you're into pre-planning your itinerary.

I do this for a living, and really only use the GPS to tell me how far to my destination, and when the next turn comes up. Google Maps is very helpful for looking up hotels and such, with phone numbers.

03-04-09 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD