Bold 9930 was my first BlackBerry phone and I will never go back to any smartphone. I am sold. Now that I found out BlackBerry is not doing too well I think we can get through this (hopefully). Regardless, I am going down with this ship and I will be the last one off if needed. I am a little frustrated at the delay because I would like to see BB10 come out at the same time as the new iPhone. Even though it isn't going to be an epic battle it would still give some people the option to take a glance to the right and look at a BlackBerry instead of the iPhone. I also don't mind the delay 'till Q1 of 2013 because if they rushed it out for Q4 2012 and it was rushed there will be issues. I stick with my BlackBerry because I am not all about the Windows phones with "cute" tiles showing me faces of my friends and keeping me updated on what Cindy had for dinner. I could care less. I also didn't get an iPhone because I don't use my phone for games. If I wanted to play games I would get a handheld gaming system. I got a BlackBerry because frankly, This phone gets s*#t done!
    Last edited by ncik88; 07-01-12 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-01-12 04:20 PM
    Too late? Too late for what? Will every other smartphone maker stop development after 2012 because it is too late to get anyone to buy their new products? I agree RIM has made a lot of mistakes and is obviously in trouble. But to say that bringing a new phone to market next year is too late and nobody will buy it, when nobody has seen the final product to be able to compare it to anything else, is BS. It is only too late if they run out of cash before it gets to market.
    07-01-12 04:23 PM
    Ok, so say what if RIM goes down. They won't simply shut the system down - someone will buy it for cheap. There's a lot of infrastructure out there that is quite valuable to someone. My plan B is to buy a Windows phone. I don't like Apple. I've never bought into the whole Apple culture. Android just plain sucks for business users so forget that. So Windows it is. So WHAT IF Microsoft bought RIM?? A windows phone with BBM, the best email in the world, a kick a$$ keyboard. Why not? Maybe a combined MS/BB phone would give some serious competition to the other clowns out there. Thoughts?
    07-01-12 04:57 PM
    I also didn't get an iPhone because I don't use my phone for games. If I wanted to play games I would get a handheld gaming system. I got a BlackBerry because frankly, This phone gets s*#t done!
    The thought that you cant get work done on the iPhone is complete and total nonsense. What work can't you do on the iPhone that you can do on your Blackberry?
    07-01-12 05:07 PM
    Too late? Too late for what? Will every other smartphone maker stop development after 2012 because it is too late to get anyone to buy their new products? I agree RIM has made a lot of mistakes and is obviously in trouble. But to say that bringing a new phone to market next year is too late and nobody will buy it, when nobody has seen the final product to be able to compare it to anything else, is BS. It is only too late if they run out of cash before it gets to market.
    You're seriously going to compare the other smartphone makers with RIM situation?

If (and that's a big IF) RIM releases a BB10 phone, they will be so far behind iOS/Android that you think the majority of consumers are going to want to invest money in an ecosystem that has next-to-nothing available for it? Especially when it's a company that's fallen off a cliff the last couple years.

There's a HUGE issue with trust and a big issue with them being behind.

You really think BB10 will have something amazing that the other phones won't have? RIM is having troubles with the basic smartphone elements - and you're excepting a game-changer from them? Really?

It's like people haven't been paying attention to what's been happening the last few years. I heard the same thing that RIM will do fine and won't lose market share, and their stocks will be fine, etc, etc.... and what's happened? The exact opposite.

Stop burying your head in the sand. Look at the situation realistically.
    07-01-12 05:13 PM
    If RIM was a monopoly (like they were several years ago) they would be able to weather this easily. But the other vendors, ecosystem makers (I had to throw that in) and carriers are not going to sit around.

No new devices while waiting for a brand new, totally unseen OS is a huge hurdle and it may be too late. The iPhone 5 is going to steal customers - just as EVERY iPhone release has stolen customers. I don't care if it is 2% better than the iPhone 4s - it will steal customers.

Enterprise customers are going to continue to move away - that's already happening. Companies that allowed/mandated BBs (IBM for one) made all their employees get iPhones. Please don't call them ignorant.

I want RIM to survive. I want the BB 10 phones to be great - so there is good competition. But it looks grim.
    07-01-12 05:28 PM
    The thought that you cant get work done on the iPhone is complete and total nonsense. What work can't you do on the iPhone that you can do on your Blackberry?
    My Android phone's loaded to the brim with productivity tools. Not a single game.
    07-01-12 05:36 PM
    haha all companies go thru this its just RIM's turn wait a year or two and see what happens to apple Jobs had an few things including OS5 already going they will eventually run out of great ideas and need to revamp BB10 will be released and as for RIM going down not a chance 2bil in the bank will not be spent between now and release the marketing of it will be spot on and after all this media hype eveyone bored with their droid or new ios device WILL be looking in our direction i just upgraded to a 9850 to pass the time and new contract meaning i will pay outright for a BB10 phone because a Blackberry is the only device that i will use have more to say but my dinner is ready cheers

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 until my kick BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIM til one of us dies
    07-01-12 05:38 PM
    Never in my post did I state you couldn't get work done on the iPhone. I am just saying I am more productive on my BlackBerry due to the physical keyboard and other features that work with me. Everyone's individual taste may be different for each phone. Heck my father still has one of those old Nokia phones from the early 2000's because it works for him. As far as iPhone 4s vs Bold 9930: It has a faster processor 1.2 GHz vs 0.8 GHz and RAM 768 MB vs 512 MB which is a little better for multi tasking but the 4s has a dual core while the Bold 9930 has a single core I believe. I also like the feature for expandable memory and the option to take out the battery if needed. I am always on the go and finding an outlet on planes and trains could be difficult vs just popping in a spare battery. I am a fan of the iPhone for the image quality of the camera as that is a big portion of my work and the bigger screen resolution which is something we lose because we have a physical keyboard. Hopefully something we see in BlackBerry10

---Sorry wasn't trying to start an argument
    07-01-12 06:46 PM
    My Android phone's loaded to the brim with productivity tools. Not a single game.
    Exactly.

In fact, I think you can be MORE productive with iOS/Android devices as they have a lot more business apps available to them. They just also happen to have a lot of games - which people incorrectly assume is all they have.

Think of iOS/Android like Windows. There are A LOT more games available for Windows than their are for MAC, but that doesn't mean Windows doesn't have A LOT more productivity/business/enterprise apps than MAC - because it does.

That's the advantage of selling a VERY popular phone, all sorts of developers will develop all types of app for your phone.
    house78 likes this.
    07-01-12 06:50 PM
    Your Damn right they are gona be alright.

tough times right now as we all expected, (yet so many people are freaking out)

from the original expected delivery of BB10 to the new 2013 date isnt that much longer.

i want BB10 right now like everybody else but my 9900 will do great until then.
    Um bb10 or bbx at the time original delivery was q1 2012. Remember the colt? What do mean its not much longer?
    kennyliu likes this.
    07-01-12 09:20 PM
    haha all companies go thru this its just RIM's turn wait a year or two and see what happens to apple Jobs had an few things including OS5 already going they will eventually run out of great ideas and need to revamp BB10 will be released and as for RIM going down not a chance 2bil in the bank will not be spent between now and release the marketing of it will be spot on and after all this media hype eveyone bored with their droid or new ios device WILL be looking in our direction i just upgraded to a 9850 to pass the time and new contract meaning i will pay outright for a BB10 phone because a Blackberry is the only device that i will use have more to say but my dinner is ready cheers

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 until my kick BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIM til one of us dies
    The period on your 9550 isn't working.

Just thought you should know.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-01-12 09:34 PM
    lol i noticed that probably cause im on OS 5 ish its not tapatalk it does go to prove that i rely on my BB to fill in my punctuation will try tonight after my 9850 arrives ! (i put that exclamation in myself )

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 until my kick a$$ BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIM til one of us dies
    07-02-12 05:40 AM
    Ok, so say what if RIM goes down. They won't simply shut the system down - someone will buy it for cheap. There's a lot of infrastructure out there that is quite valuable to someone. My plan B is to buy a Windows phone. I don't like Apple. I've never bought into the whole Apple culture. Android just plain sucks for business users so forget that. So Windows it is. So WHAT IF Microsoft bought RIM?? A windows phone with BBM, the best email in the world, a kick a$$ keyboard. Why not? Maybe a combined MS/BB phone would give some serious competition to the other clowns out there. Thoughts?
    Hmmm I always thought Android is what BB10 should have been if released years ago, and to me it's the closest equivalent among all the platforms so far.

I was wondering why Windows phone?
    07-02-12 05:53 AM
    You're seriously going to compare the other smartphone makers with RIM situation?

If (and that's a big IF) RIM releases a BB10 phone, they will be so far behind iOS/Android that you think the majority of consumers are going to want to invest money in an ecosystem that has next-to-nothing available for it? Especially when it's a company that's fallen off a cliff the last couple years.

There's a HUGE issue with trust and a big issue with them being behind.

You really think BB10 will have something amazing that the other phones won't have? RIM is having troubles with the basic smartphone elements - and you're excepting a game-changer from them? Really?

It's like people haven't been paying attention to what's been happening the last few years. I heard the same thing that RIM will do fine and won't lose market share, and their stocks will be fine, etc, etc.... and what's happened? The exact opposite.

Stop burying your head in the sand. Look at the situation realistically.
    I don't have any expectation of a game changer. I expect the BB10 will have some features that are better and some that are not. How do you know it will be "so far behind ios/android when you haven't seen the final product? I also don't think most consumers care about the HUGE trust issue you seem to have with RIM. If people like the phone they will buy it whether is says samsung or motorola or nokia on the box. You seem to be too emotionally invested in this to think clearly.
    07-02-12 06:48 AM
    I don't have any expectation of a game changer. I expect the BB10 will have some features that are better and some that are not. How do you know it will be "so far behind ios/android when you haven't seen the final product? I also don't think most consumers care about the HUGE trust issue you seem to have with RIM. If people like the phone they will buy it whether is says samsung or motorola or nokia on the box. You seem to be too emotionally invested in this to think clearly.
    BB10 will be so far behind because iOS/Android will have a lot more apps available to it. It doesn't matter that I haven't seen BB10 - this aspect is guaranteed.

You're right, the trust thing really comes into play mostly with the tech-heads and people who follow this stuff - but that does effect a lot of people still, even if it's just 5% of the market. The general public already associate BB's with outdated technology - it's engrained in their mind because RIM let themselves be so far behind for such a long time. RIM created this image for themselves. If BB10 even gets released (doubtful) it will be VERY hard to recreate the image of BB being advanced - that could take a year or two, time which RIM does NOT have.
    07-02-12 07:59 AM
    Actually, I think RIM should release the BB10 OS and new phones as soon as they become functional. I think the media overreacted to the lack of a native email app (since most people get their emails from the email providers' webmail pages or have a phone or computer they can get them from nearby anyway) and so RIM is gunshy of releasing anything short of perfection.
    Get the new phones out with the promise to allow everyone to upgrade their OS for free as improvements become available. I know of a BB user who wants to upgrade in the fall when his contract expires but will not get the BB7 phones.
    Releasing the new hardware with the old OS is another option with the ability to upgrade when the new OS is available in the next year, if that is technically possible.
    RIM cannot let undereducated reporters dictate its gameplan.
    07-02-12 08:10 AM
    RIM is fine...they are still at the top in most places, just not North America. They technically are making money so I don't worry about them going under just because of the media and people not looking at the full situation.
    07-02-12 09:55 AM
    Ah - blame the media. Clearly everyone is wrong about RIMs prospects.

Where, precisely, is RIM on top (you already excluded the largest markets).
    07-02-12 09:57 AM
    Um bb10 or bbx at the time original delivery was q1 2012. Remember the colt? What do mean its not much longer?
    Yup. Right about the time the OS7 devices dropped last August, we were told the Colt would be coming out in Q1 2012 (although without BES support), and that RIM was well along in software testing for the device. Then at the end of the year, Fat Mike, taking a break between boxes of Dove bars, said that there would be a delay because of the lack of LTE chips, and that BB10 would not appear until the "latter part" of CY 2012. And now we're told, no, it's really Q1 of 2013 (which the way RIM has gone over the past two years, is always the very end of Q1 if not Q2).

I know when I've been played.
    07-02-12 10:09 AM
    Actually, I think RIM should release the BB10 OS and new phones as soon as they become functional. I think the media overreacted to the lack of a native email app (since most people get their emails from the email providers' webmail pages or have a phone or computer they can get them from nearby anyway) and so RIM is gunshy of releasing anything short of perfection.
    Get the new phones out with the promise to allow everyone to upgrade their OS for free as improvements become available. I know of a BB user who wants to upgrade in the fall when his contract expires but will not get the BB7 phones.
    Releasing the new hardware with the old OS is another option with the ability to upgrade when the new OS is available in the next year, if that is technically possible.
    RIM cannot let undereducated reporters dictate its gameplan.
    This would be the final nail in the coffin. They would deserve to be put out of business if they think that is acceptable.
    07-02-12 10:38 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD