A positive change in RIMM today. Not sure what caused it but let's hope it continues.
    I plan on buying RIMM shares closer to the release of BlackBerry 10
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-21-12 04:16 PM
    I saw this too. Yesterday I was watching it around 10.80.. if it went a little lower I would've got it. I will definitely be watching this though.
    05-21-12 09:07 PM
    thats what I was waiting for. Closer to 10 dollars a share I was going to buy about 500 or so... But I may have missed the chance... I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    05-21-12 11:16 PM
    thats what I was waiting for. Closer to 10 dollars a share I was going to buy about 500 or so... But I may have missed the chance... I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    Same here, although I really think we have some time.. It should go up and down until the release of BB10.. I mean it was at 11.80 and then dropped down to a little less than 11 in just a day so it has been going kinda nuts. I still believe it will go down closer to $10 before BB10 and that's when I'll be investing
    05-21-12 11:21 PM
    I've been watching for a year. Was waiting for $10. A month ago I dropped my buy to $7. Now I'm out. "True value" today is about $5 - the cash reserve. Reserves are going fast. They can't sell the patents or they would be finished - next year patents will lose their value. The real estate is under water. Stock will be at $3 this time next year. Buy then & wait for the sales.
    It's currently at $11.50. I'd love to see how that "true value" amount is valid though.
    05-22-12 01:01 AM
    $12 seems about right at the moment. RIMM should fill up marketing position quick.
    05-22-12 01:19 AM
    There is a Jim Cramer wannabe in this thread.
    05-22-12 01:55 AM
    Some metrics here : Has Research In Motion Become A Bargain? - Seeking Alpha
    Also, if you plan buying, just visit the thread linked in my signature
    05-22-12 02:15 AM
    I don't think it matters what the stock market thinks about RIM. I believe the production and improvement of RIM itself will determine that!
    jon4400 likes this.
    05-22-12 02:19 AM
    Forbes had an article yesterday entitled "2 Stocks to Avoid on the Dead Cat Bounce". Read it and be careful.

Not linking to it for obvious reasons.
    brucep1 likes this.
    05-22-12 07:00 AM
    I just read the dead cat bounce article. I'm no stock market pro, but I do not fully agree with it. They didn't factor in bb10 or what's in the REAL future for RIM. If you're part of CB and follow what's going on, I would think buying stock would be a good idea. I think the author of the article should get to know RIM better.
    05-22-12 07:20 AM
    $12 seems about right at the moment. RIMM should fill up marketing position quick.
    They did already
    05-22-12 07:31 AM
    Simple arithmetic, assets divided by shares. Unless you really believe that BB10 or Nigeria is going to make the difference.
    Apple was literally in the same boat when they were getting ready to push out Mac OS X. Last I checked they're still around.
    05-22-12 11:41 AM
    Apple was literally in the same boat when they were getting ready to push out Mac OS X. Last I checked they're still around.
    They wouldn't be around if they had been dependent on the success of Mac OS X alone.
    05-22-12 12:22 PM
    my prediction is that the stock price is going to go below $5 by the end of this year, right after RIM released the disappointing BB OS10 devices..
    05-22-12 12:49 PM
    With the brilliant economics minds in this article, this should be stickied for reference in one year from this date.
    05-22-12 01:01 PM
    Simple arithmetic, assets divided by shares. Unless you really believe that BB10 or Nigeria is going to make the difference.
    should read : Has Research In Motion Become A Bargain? - Seeking Alpha (previously posted in this thread)
    05-22-12 01:07 PM
    Where does one go to buy some stock if one was interested ? =P
    05-22-12 01:16 PM
    Picked up more today. Nice to see some life yesterday.
    05-22-12 01:22 PM
    They wouldn't be around if they had been dependent on the success of Mac OS X alone.
    Agreed,

they started making different hardware choices...

DevAlpha looks like a pretty different hardware choice by RIM from their traditional functions

RIM today is very different from RIM in 2008, management has changed, internal focus has changed, and they actually have some people who are software first people in management positions, so to count RIM out based on their past and dismissing that Apple made a turn around isn't really fair to RIM,
    Do I think they'll hit Apple like stock prices? probably not unless they start earning $300 per share
    05-22-12 01:31 PM
    There is a Jim Cramer wannabe in this thread.
    Just one???
    05-22-12 01:37 PM
    Agreed,

they started making different hardware choices...

DevAlpha looks like a pretty different hardware choice by RIM from their traditional functions

RIM today is very different from RIM in 2008, management has changed, internal focus has changed, and they actually have some people who are software first people in management positions, so to count RIM out based on their past and dismissing that Apple made a turn around isn't really fair to RIM,
    Do I think they'll hit Apple like stock prices? probably not unless they start earning $300 per share
    But it's not the Mac or OS X that turned Apple around. Their "different hardware choices" in this case was to branch out into a completely new business where the competition was very, very weak. The went into a completely new field (MP3 players) where Microsoft wasn't even a player.

RIM isn't going into a totally new business at all. They are still making smartphones (just better ones this time around), and they are still competing against the same very strong, well established competitors.

I'm not saying RIM can't turn this around. That's not my point. It just that any comparison to Apple to me makes no sense. The iPod and iTMS are what saved Apple, not the Mac.

To make this clear: Apple did not save themselves by just making better versions of what they were already making. RIM is trying to save themselves by making a better version of what they were already making (smartphones). Huge difference. If RIM succeeds, it will be a totally different story from Apple.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-22-12 at 01:39 PM.
    05-22-12 01:37 PM
    Forbes had an article yesterday entitled "2 Stocks to Avoid on the Dead Cat Bounce". Read it and be careful.

Not linking to it for obvious reasons.
    Forbes HATES RIM. They couldn't publish anything remotely positive about the company if their entire miserable existence depended on it.
    05-22-12 01:39 PM
    bb10 isn't going to help RIM for over a year at the earliest. bb10 is going to be a long slow adoption, and that's assuming it actually takes off, the initial hardcore fans won't have a huge bearing on stock price or overall outlook. they have many years of hard work ahead of them to try to gain any new subscribers from other platforms. i would personally wait for the stock to tank AFTER bb10 launch.
    05-22-12 01:42 PM
    But it's not the Mac or OS X that turned Apple around. Their "different hardware choices" in this case was to branch out into a completely new business where the competition was very, very weak. The went into a completely new field (MP3 players) where Microsoft wasn't even a player.

RIM isn't going into a totally new business at all. They are still making smartphones (just better ones this time around), and they are still competing against the same very strong, well established competitors.

I'm not saying RIM can't turn this around. That's not my point. It just that any comparison to Apple to me makes no sense. The iPod and iTMS are what saved Apple, not the Mac.

To make this clear: Apple did not save themselves by just making better versions of what they were already making. RIM is trying to save themselves by making a better version of what they were already making (smartphones). Huge difference. If RIM succeeds, it will be a totally different story from Apple.
    Agree with all of this. But another big difference is the markets these companies were and are competing in. The PC market was pretty mature when Apple re-started itself with the new Mac lines. They still managed to make a little dent in it, but MS was so deeply entrenched that nobody was going to displace them there. The smart phone market on the other hand is in a pretty staggering growth spurt with significantly fewer barriers to entry, where there is still a lot of room for someone to come in and upset the apple cart. Not saying RIM is going to do this, but it will be somewhat easier for RIM to take back some of its lost market share than it was for Apple to take market share that A - it never had, and B - no one else has been able to take any of, either.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 05-22-12 at 01:55 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-22-12 01:47 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD