OK, I was going by which ever poster said that RIM called it an iphone killer.

Thanks
    I know. I was just running with the opportunity to be feisty .
    06-03-12 01:02 PM
    I know. I was just running with the opportunity to be feisty .
    Darn you!!!!
    06-03-12 01:04 PM
    Thanks and I do mean it. So which link quotes someone from RIM management saying it? The first few are article titles with no quote from someone at RIM. Just because reporters? Can you call them that made it their headline.

BTW it wouldn't surprise me with the old management.
    Here's something from Crackberry that refers to the Storm. http://crackberry.com/touchscreen-bl...k-apple-killer
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-03-12 01:23 PM
    Yes the storm, they said that about the 9810.

Can't dispute that dumb and dumber should've kept their yaps shut.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-03-12 01:25 PM
    Here's something from Crackberry that refers to the Storm. http://crackberry.com/touchscreen-bl...k-apple-killer
    Holy blast from the past, Batman! Those remarks are interesting now in light of the current smartphone market, and even the current BB10 plans.
    06-03-12 01:28 PM
    Holy blast from the past, Batman! Those remarks are interesting now in light of the current smartphone market, and even the current BB10 plans.
    I knew the "iPhone killer" comments were much older than references to the 9800, so I did a bit of Googling myself.
    06-03-12 01:30 PM
    One of the two former clown CEO's did refer to the Torch 9800 as an "iPhone killer". That is true. I didn't buy into that, I wanted the Torch bc I liked the build, a BB with a fully QWERTY keyboard, a trackpad, and a touchscreen! It was the first of its kind and while it didn't surpass the iPhone4 (the iPhone that launched during the same year as the 9800) as far as apps, games, processing power, media functionality, screen resolution, camera, etc. It did offer up a solid device that was improved on a BB as far as media goes and still a great communication device...
    06-03-12 02:36 PM
    Mcfly I guess you need to cool off a bit.
    Other then that lets rock!
    06-03-12 07:15 PM
    The media, market and other government organs are being used to bring RIMM down because of this.

Can't see why nobody else hasn't figured it out yet.
    Maybe, because there's nothing to figure out! I guess that it was just a matter of time, before some bozo came up with the "blame the U.S. theory". Sure, it was the fault of the U.S., that Rimm's two C.E.O's bled the company dry. Wake up, and smell the coffee, eh.
    06-03-12 07:24 PM
    Maybe, because there's nothing to figure out! I guess that it was just a matter of time, before some bozo came up with the "blame the U.S. theory". Sure, it was the fault of the U.S., that Rimm's two C.E.O's bled the company dry. Wake up, and smell the coffee, eh.
    Or did they actually invest millions of dollars into RIMM, (and our community) for years and even while on their way out?
    ...that's how I remember it.
    fwiw, I'm no conspiracy theorist. They broke it, they need to fix it.
    06-03-12 08:31 PM
    RIM has an image problem that the US media helps to tarnish more, but in the end it was RIM's fault. Example, think of a BB user from 2007-2009 when they were still smartphone king. Yeah BBM was cool, a good strong battery, good reception, emails that work great, but app updates that take reboots, battery pulls to reboot, hourglass or glowing circles that take forever to load something, underpowered hardware, unimpressive screen resolution, all while the iPhone and Android counterparts were making their devices more of a joy to use for mobile computing/media purposes.

RIM sat on their hands while the smartphone world passed them by in with what consumers want. Can RIM get their groove back? I think so, but it won't be easy bc of how frustrated many people that owned Blackberries were when the other phones were performing many more functions better.

RIM got lazy and complacent. I will say BB7 is much more of a joy to use than any other BB OS before it, but the image problem has hurt it. Also the perception RIM helped create along with the US media that it can't do any "fun stuff".

RIM needs to market much better, repair their damaged brand image, and unify behind one OS with universally used apps on all their devices. The third thing they are hard at work at doing, but taking forever. The first two will take an even bigger effort.
    06-03-12 08:55 PM
    double post
    06-03-12 08:56 PM
    It wouldn't matter what the media says. RIM is failing because they've sat on their asses and released mediocre phones for 5 years.
    06-03-12 09:06 PM
    How sad and shallow and totally unaware you crackberry fans are.
    Our nation has been more intrusive into our personal liberties then any communist nation of today bar none! I am extremely disappointed at how easily the youth of today are willing to give it all up for the convenience of playing angry birds and watching movies.

The NSA has been spying on us since 1975, the year they came on line officially. I remember because my neighbors were Air Force translators there. Google has been the biggest and most arrogant company in America that invades wi-fi and all electronic foot-prints as they map out the world and have the money to laugh at the governments. Except for ours which they readily and handily hand over any request the alphabet-soup groups request.

RIMM has great security which is why I grit my teeth having to use POS OS6.x on my Torch waiting for the new BB10.x.

RIMM would kill with a 10" tablet. After 3 months of use and one weekend use of a 10" Galaxy there was no going back to my PB! But that's my personal fit OK? we all get that I hope?

As for accusing everyone that makes a post you all do not like to be a troll has become as childish as our POTUS blaming the world for his own petty failures; it is shallow and childish.

I have vented here many times of my disgust with RIMMs failure to get their $hit together and one or two havegot your panties in a wad, oh well...I still want RIMM to succeed for many reason. Security is one of them.

I am quite surprised at this very deep thoughtful post. It presents a very different perspective of answering : "How can a group of innovators be so brilliant and then fall flat on their face?" because it is the very approach as to how the Hegelian Dialect works. Home work look it up it's why we are in the mess we are in on many levels.

When some companies do not play nice and suck up to our government like Google has then there are options to 'fix' the problem.......RIMM is to difficult to back door security, Hmmm hey so let's watch them 'fail' oh so bad gee they went out of business....tsk..tsk..

It would be very encouraging to read some thoughtful insightful concepts from such a group of tech savvy and smart people rather then respond like a group of drunken frat boys......well that's not really a problem in the right moment...heh..heh....

OK, now is it possible to have some in-depth well researched and thoughtful posts?

I hope so, as hopeful as RIMM's come back.....
    06-03-12 09:30 PM
    How sad and shallow and totally unaware you crackberry fans are.

OK, now is it possible to have some in-depth well researched and thoughtful posts?

Possible, but difficult when you start off a post insulting virtually everyone.
    06-03-12 09:39 PM
    It wouldn't matter what the media says. RIM is failing because they've sat on their asses and released mediocre phones for 5 years.
    What a revelation ... we have been enlightened.

*sigh* This kind of post does not deserve a response, but I just can't let it go.

Maybe BlackBerry phones haven't been what the majority of smart phone buyers want, but they are hardly mediocre. The fact that you can't run Skype or Netflix on a BB does not make it a bad device. And face it, that's what 90% of the crying is about: apps. And they were only sitting on their asses for three of the last five years. The last two years they've been quite busy gearing up for what we are all hoping will be their salvation in just a few more months.

Open your eyes, take a good look at everything that's going on, not just what you selectively read about from uninformed analysts and bloggers, before making inaccurate blanket statements like this.
    06-03-12 09:46 PM
    I think there are people working against RIM but not really the government. I think they appreciate RIM's top notch security.
    However, competitors know that they will never be able to match the BB security so the best way to deal with them is to try to eliminate them. Frankly, this is a common strategy in business. Not Capitalism at its best.

When you look at RIM you can certainly fault them for some bad decisions on their part. However, there is no question that the carrier price fixing apple enjoys is a market distorting factor.
    If Apple can sell their phone to carriers for 800 bucks and sell it for 200 but BlackBerry sells theirs for 600 and they sell it for 239.00 for many there is nothing further to look at. They don't know about the security infrastructure, or the global network RIM enjoys.

Add a few gimmicks and viola! You just added a new user to the "distortion field".

With Apple being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing it is clear that they would do just about anything to grow their profits. RIM has 75 million or so users world wide and a security infrastructure no one else can match. That is one juicy target.

However, lets stop blaming others for RIM's unfortunate year in the U.S. RIM just stood by and watched a great deal of this happen.

I want RIM to succeed and will always be a supporter and user of BlackBerry products. However, RIM needs to respond with decisiveness on R&D, manufacturing processes, delivering ON TIME products, with a great UI.
    Lets be honest. We know we can do more (useful stuff) with our BlackBerry devices than competitors but how many other people know BlackBerry like we do? In other words, a new smartphone user is pretty much dead in the water with a BlackBerry if they don't get someone from IT or a friend to set-it up for them (or at least start looking at the CrackBerry forums).

So, yes, there is some despicable business practices taking place (especially from Apple) but that is not new. RIM is a large, global company with fantastic infrastructure and they need to deliver product that reflects this and do it on time.

The Bold 9900/9930 is a great phone for some things (I have one because they are the things I find most important) but I would also like RIM to:

1. provide a fantastic camera not just an O.K. camera for their flagship phone.
    2. provide an OS that does not need to be rebooted every week or so.

Now, RIM has responded with some great improvements in my view. The UI of the OS7 BB is way more user friendly than the OS7 BB and BB Protect, Traffic, Travel, Wallet, Conference, BBM Music are just awesome.
    Most people I talk to do NOT use Siri or Video Chat on their phones so those features are not really critical to me.

Here is the bottom line. It is up to RIM to deliver and the good news is that RIM is in control of this. Regardless of the damned carrier price fixing, if RIM builds a device that has the popular features of competitors AND keeps their global and secure infrastructure RIM will prosper and resume growth in the U.S.

So, lets get BB10 out as soon as it is ready and not a minute before.
    06-04-12 10:43 AM
    However, lets stop blaming others for RIM's unfortunate year in the U.S. RIM just stood by and watched a great deal of this happen.
    Concur. The big bad world isn't out to get RIM. In the words of Obiwan Kenobi, "You have done that yourself!"
    06-04-12 10:49 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry phones haven't been what the majority of smart phone buyers want, but they are hardly mediocre. The fact that you can't run Skype or Netflix on a BB does not make it a bad device. And face it, that's what 90% of the crying is about: apps.
    Here's a simple fact, although it may be unpalateable to some of our more xenophobic US members...

At least 95% (probably more like 98%) of the world's potential smartphone buyers couldn't care less about Netflix. Most have never heard of it, wouldn't want it and couldn't use it even if it was force loaded onto their device.
    06-04-12 11:46 AM
    Security is bulletproof, which posed some problems to national security. RIM, in many countries given access to their data. So, that is negotiable. So, to say to be a conspiracy theory would not be fair.
    06-04-12 11:48 AM
    Here's a simple fact, although it may be unpalateable to some of our more xenophobic US members...

At least 95% (probably more like 98%) of the world's potential smartphone buyers couldn't care less about Netflix. Most have never heard of it, wouldn't want it and couldn't use it even if it was force loaded onto their device.
    VoIP apps, such as Skype or Vonage, would appeal to users in countries outside North America. One of my professors used Skype to talk to his daughter who works in Asia.
    06-04-12 11:52 AM
    now all of these are starting to make sense to me... another conspiracy...
    the stock is falling 6% yet again... Research In Motion Limited (USA): NASDAQ:RIMM quotes & news - Google Finance
    06-04-12 12:45 PM
    There is very little that gets posted on this site that stuns me but the complete lack of anything
    bordering upon logic that makes up this thread subject did. I mean DAYUM!!!
    06-04-12 12:58 PM

Netflix? Probably not... well a year ago maybe (simply because it was the flavor of the month back then). But that only applies to Netflix specifically. But more importantly to the point, he brought to attention highly desired apps as a whole and used Skype and Netflix as two examples. It goes a lot deeper than those two specifically.

But even given your shot from the hip estimate of 95%-98% for one specific app who couldn't care less, the remaining 2%-5% still account for millions, which comes dangerously close to equaling 10% or more of the total BB users. Compound that with other highly desired apps... it gets worse exponentially.
    06-04-12 04:01 PM
    There is very little that gets posted on this site that stuns me but the complete lack of anything
    bordering upon logic that makes up this thread subject did. I mean DAYUM!!!
    This inspired me to look closer at the root of the thread, where I find the OP has been declared "persona non grata" - again!

Troll-bait thread closing now.
    06-04-12 04:36 PM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD