Every so often I get a blast of about 100 or more spasm on my device in a Gmail account I have set up. Wasnt sure where it was coming from until I opened Outlook and at the moment Outlook syncd thejunk email folder (added by Outlook), my BB got another blast of about 100 spam emails on that same Gmail email account. Within Outlook, the Inbox is at the root and the rest of the folders are behind a [Gmail] folder. Outlook Express had created a drafts folder off the root but apparently only OE uses it. Outlook created the junk email folder also off the root and apparently only Outlook uses that one. I tried copying a draft email from a local drafts folder to the drafts folder off the root on Gmail, and sure enough a second later the BB was vibrating. Apparently, RIMs implementation of whatever it is theyre using (and its not IMAP) is grabbing any emails sitting in any root folder and sending it to the device, even though theyre not in the inbox (I checked, theyre still not there).
    01-29-08 05:43 PM
    I kept this once when i was looking for a solution for receiving sent items on my inbox... This is a copy paste:

Additional Information
    Gmail webmail service stores all email messages in one central source. Email messages are sorted using a Hidden and Visible Labeling system. The labels for the links on the left side of the Gmail webmail service graphic user interface (GUI), such as the Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Mail use hidden labels on each of the messages. This allows the email messages to be viewed as though they are in separate folders.
    The BlackBerry Internet Service retrieves email messages from the Gmail POP3 server. POP3, by design, does not support the proprietary labeling system. As such, any email message that arrives in the Inbox of the Gmail POP3 server (including sent email messages) appears as a new email message and is redirected to the BlackBerry device.
    01-29-08 09:15 PM
    I kept this once when i was looking for a solution for receiving sent items on my inbox... This is a copy paste:

Additional Information
    Gmail webmail service stores all email messages in one central source. Email messages are sorted using a Hidden and Visible Labeling system. The labels for the links on the left side of the Gmail webmail service graphic user interface (GUI), such as the Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Mail use hidden labels on each of the messages. This allows the email messages to be viewed as though they are in separate folders.
    The BlackBerry Internet Service retrieves email messages from the Gmail POP3 server. POP3, by design, does not support the proprietary labeling system. As such, any email message that arrives in the Inbox of the Gmail POP3 server (including sent email messages) appears as a new email message and is redirected to the BlackBerry device.
    Very interesting. I never paid much attention to those labels before. Just tagged an email from the inbox with a label test1, fired up Outlook, and there was a new folder named test1 off the root (within Outlook). I can turn off the use of special folders within Outlook Express, but theres no way to do that with Outlook.

Tried something that might help. I set the Folder Root Path to read [Gmail] (with the brackets), just as it was appearing within Outlook, and I manually deleted the extra labels from within the Gmail web client. Outlook deleted the downloaded messages (which is ok, it was supposed to do that), and now the folders are presented in a more or less normal way but with sent items and junk email missing, which is ok, they werent being used, and I dont need the junk email processing for that account. Most important, though, the inbox is still there but now is appearing in the same folder hierarchy rather than one level above the rest (which are also still there).

So I tried the same trick with Outlook Express, unselected storing special folders on the server, and set the default folder to read the same. All locally cached messages were deleted, the folder list was reloaded, and everything came up the same way as Outlook. Thanks for the suggestion, I think this is working now.
    01-29-08 10:51 PM

Additional Information
    Thanks for that clear explanation. That makes sense, but it has an incredibly annoying side effect.

I use GMail for my home domain and my business domain email. I have a laptop for my business and a desktop for my home life. I could POP all of my work and home email onto both machines, but in the interest of saving download time and disk space I use IMAP for my work email on my home machine, and IMAP for my home email on my work machine, just so I can always see if something urgent shows up no matter which computer I'm using.

But, when I am sending a message (using Thunderbird) for one of my accounts that is configured as IMAP, then on occasion while I am typing, Thunderbird syncs with the GMail IMAP server, GMail puts my partially-finished message into the drafts folder, and my Blackberry buzzes in my pocket to alert me that I have new mail. It's annoying enough for my phone to receive a copy of every message I send out, but it's incredibly annoying to get partially-complete messages while I am in the middle of typing them.
    04-28-08 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD