As the iPhone 5 hype takes over the entire world, I'm still staying loyal to RIM hoping BB10 is everything it needs to be to get back in the game. But looking at it from a business and marketing point of view, I think RIM needs to have more keynotes, or need to use them more effectively to create excitement for the product....let me explain.

Before, there was DevCon (Americas, Europe, etc.), but that was really the only time which RIM would reveal something new or just to speak about updates which they have to upcoming or current products. But when it came down to officially announce a product and when it would be available (including preorders similar to Apple), they seemed to have dropped the ball on that. I've followed RIM for the past 3 years religiously and the only time I really saw them reveal the actual product and have a set availability date was for the PlayBook (I may be wrong, they may have not even said a date, etc.).

Apple has 2 a year on average. One during the late spring - early summer, and one during late summer - early fall. and they ALWAYS have an announcement about either a new OS, hardware, or both. One of the things which they do well is create hype for the product. RIM, in my eyes, fails at this.

For example, when RIM announced the PlayBook4G, who really knew about it (besides the BlackBerry enthusiasts)....nobody. Yeah it was in tech news but it was pushed to the side. RIM seems to always announce hardware and software at their keynotes as more of a tease than anything else. I truly believe that if RIM would announce products similar to Apple - that is officially having the media invited with unique invitations - and having a set release date, preorder date, and all the cost details, that it would do much better, as it would create a sense of hype rather than just quietly announcing hardware/software.

Those are my 2 cents.
    09-14-12 08:30 AM
    I agree that BlackBerry needs a major marketing makeover and that RIM needs release events like Apple. However, it would need substantial, feature-rich products with a sexy UI if it were to be worthwhile.

A true BlackBerry 10 launch event would be ideal for this - new OS, gesture-heavy, TAT stylized UI, killer native and third party apps, L and N series hardware.

I don't think RIM can pull off a worthwhile event if all they had to show was the iPhone 5 launch. Apple can. But if all BlackBerry had to show was a new design with iterative hardware updates, and no real features beyond a coupon folder, navigation, and panorama software, it would be critically panned and an embarrassment to the company.
    09-14-12 09:09 AM
    As the iPhone 5 hype takes over the entire world, I'm still staying loyal to RIM hoping BB10 is everything it needs to be to get back in the game. But looking at it from a business and marketing point of view, I think RIM needs to have more keynotes, or need to use them more effectively to create excitement for the product....let me explain.

Before, there was DevCon (Americas, Europe, etc.), but that was really the only time which RIM would reveal something new or just to speak about updates which they have to upcoming or current products. But when it came down to officially announce a product and when it would be available (including preorders similar to Apple), they seemed to have dropped the ball on that. I've followed RIM for the past 3 years religiously and the only time I really saw them reveal the actual product and have a set availability date was for the PlayBook (I may be wrong, they may have not even said a date, etc.).

Apple has 2 a year on average. One during the late spring - early summer, and one during late summer - early fall. and they ALWAYS have an announcement about either a new OS, hardware, or both. One of the things which they do well is create hype for the product. RIM, in my eyes, fails at this.

For example, when RIM announced the PlayBook4G, who really knew about it (besides the BlackBerry enthusiasts)....nobody. Yeah it was in tech news but it was pushed to the side. RIM seems to always announce hardware and software at their keynotes as more of a tease than anything else. I truly believe that if RIM would announce products similar to Apple - that is officially having the media invited with unique invitations - and having a set release date, preorder date, and all the cost details, that it would do much better, as it would create a sense of hype rather than just quietly announcing hardware/software.

Those are my 2 cents.
    I agree.. I'm hoping the new CMO at RIM is going to hype the isht out of BB10 .. It would have been so cool to have a huge Apple-esque event on 10/10. I'd like to either see one big event in a place like Toronto.. or maybe multiple events at the same time across the globe.. (ie. one in Europe, Middle East, China, India, US, Canada, and South America). However RIM decides to roll this out, they need to make darn sure they 1. convince people that they need it (ala Apple) 2. Deliver a great product and 3. Deliver it ON TIME.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    09-14-12 09:21 AM
    The problem right now is that they really don't have anything to announce. If they showed off BB10 now, but don't release till January, then it will be a waste and lead to a lackluster hype at release. Look at how muted the iPhone5 response has been compared to previous iPhones because of all the leaks that occurred, and iOS 6 features were revealed back in May. Look at how many tech writers hammered Nokia and Microsoft for showing the Lumia 920 with no release dates.

When they do release BB10 they definitely need to have solid release dates, and they need to be a couple weeks away from the actual release. They will be releasing new phones, new BES, and may even have some other surprises thrown in like car related systems running BB10 and how BB10 devices work together.
    09-14-12 09:49 AM
    RIM won't do keynotes because they'll get sued by Apple. Just kidding.
    It may be plausible that RIM actually does something like a keynote for BB10 if nothing is announced at the next Jam. I think it's their last major conference before early next year.
    09-14-12 10:00 AM
    RIM won't do keynotes because they'll get sued by Apple. Just kidding.
    It may be plausible that RIM actually does something like a keynote for BB10 if nothing is announced at the next Jam. I think it's their last major conference before early next year.
    Yeah, I think you'll see BB10 announced properly when it comes time for release. Thorsten is not nearly as oblivious as the previous CEO's were, I think he knows that when he announces BB10 he'd better be announcing 1) The day you can go and buy one 2) Carrier support 3) Pricing (even though historically RIM very rarely mentions price when launching a new product).

It's a new RIM, new [better] management, new [better] strategies.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-14-12 10:07 AM
    I agree that BlackBerry needs a major marketing makeover and that RIM needs release events like Apple. However, it would need substantial, feature-rich products with a sexy UI if it were to be worthwhile.

A true BlackBerry 10 launch event would be ideal for this - new OS, gesture-heavy, TAT stylized UI, killer native and third party apps, L and N series hardware.

I don't think RIM can pull off a worthwhile event if all they had to show was the iPhone 5 launch. Apple can. But if all BlackBerry had to show was a new design with iterative hardware updates, and no real features beyond a coupon folder, navigation, and panorama software, it would be critically panned and an embarrassment to the company.
    You're on to something there; the iPhone 5 launch has largely fallen flat since it's being viewed as more of an incremental upgrade than a full-on new model. RIM's advantage going into the BB10 launch is the product is such a clear break from their current models that it will be easy to point out the differences.

Right now, they're focusing on developers. That's a smart move, and it will help ensure that their app portfolio is more competitive by launch (it would be really nice to see 100k BB10/Playbook apps by then).
    Easy-G likes this.
    09-14-12 10:27 AM
    By hype in the USA:

2 weeks of advertising all day Sunday during Football. All channels, every hour.

Be on every talk show once.

Be on CNBC 2 times a week. Be on Ji Cramer twice. Once right after the formal announcement. And a second time the day before USA release.

They need to be everywhere! They need to show hte UI effectively. They must!

And they must hype the crap out of Droid app compatability. And I mean that in that they need to point that out as much as what the BB10 is. maybe CNBC should be more security for business viewers, but still show them that you get Droid apps.

And try product placement in TV/movies. Not obnoxiously so, but make it so. Don't be too tacky with it.
    09-14-12 03:15 PM
    I think RIM will get it right this time. Boulben, the new CMO, sounds like a man on a mission when he speaks. He seems to know exactly what needs to be done and the faults of RIM in times previous.

Heins, to me, seems to have realized this a while ago. He appears to be in full command and confidence that he and the team he's assembled have the pieces in the right place, and now it's simply of executing the plan with as little to no hiccups.

RIM will not only be judged by the quality of the BB10 software and hardware, but also by how they present it. If RIM wants to prove to the world that it's not the same company it was just a year or two ago, this is the place to start. They'll have no trouble getting the media to attend. It's fairly common knowledge in the tech world that RIM's survival is hinged on this OS. People will be interested to see whether the old king can make it back. I think he can.

As for what they've done so far, I'm pretty happy with the way RIM has handled everything BB10-related. No one is letting out anything that shouldn't be public yet. In an almost Apple-like way, RIM is only letting you see what it wants you to see. They've shown enough to keep people guessing and excited, and that's all that needs to be done. Letting out too much too early is dangerous, as we've seen in the past.

As for the actual rollout, this is where RIM needs to take a page from Apple's book. They need to hold their own press event, not use a general consumer event (like CES) or a developer's conference (like BB10 Jam). BlackBerry World is in May, so that means that RIM would have to hold their own press event/presentation. Everything about BB10 needs to be touched on. RIM should have carriers, pricing, and pre-order (yes, RIM must allow people to pre-order. It builds excitement!) and release dates. In the past, there was too much variation between carrier pricing and release dates. This needs to be minimized or completely done with. It should release on the same day across all carriers in a given regional area and should be priced unformly. People need to know exactly what to expect if they plan to buy a device.

The launch of BB10 is a crucial one. RIM needs to get it right, and I'm confident that if they do, the devices themselves will do the remainder of the talking.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 09-14-12 at 03:51 PM.
    09-14-12 03:46 PM
    One thing they need to do is announce and get the product on the shelves. Stop occupying tech news space by showing how great a job they did by making a new OS from QNX and how QNX integrates with tanks, cars, space shuttles etc. The average consumer doesn't care about that. Only the techies lap of up and salivate. The average consumer wants a wow device and wants it now. They don't care about the process that made the device.
    I don't know why RIM announced the BB10 a year ago. To keep the investors happy maybe but look what good that did. They might as well have kept their mouths closed and announced BB10 as simply the next generation BB a week before it shipped and followed that week with an intensive marketing push.
    I guess the only reason good enough for what they did was to generate developer interest and get the apps rolling in before the launch. I hope the next devices are launched by taking a leaf out of Apple's book.
    southlander and app_Developer like this.
    09-14-12 03:58 PM
    You're on to something there; the iPhone 5 launch has largely fallen flat since it's being viewed as more of an incremental upgrade than a full-on new model. RIM's advantage going into the BB10 launch is the product is such a clear break from their current models that it will be easy to point out the differences.

Right now, they're focusing on developers. That's a smart move, and it will help ensure that their app portfolio is more competitive by launch (it would be really nice to see 100k BB10/Playbook apps by then).

Regarding the iPhone launch, if by fallen flat, you mean they are already sold out then you're right.
    09-14-12 04:00 PM
    Agree with the Op that said that one of the biggest points to make mention of is....the compatability with Droid apps. I just learned this the other day and thought that's pretty freaken cool.
    09-14-12 04:16 PM
    When RIM is ready to announce their BB10 devices, unless they have something shockingly different and new as compared to what's already on the market with other platforms, I think they should keep the announcement very simple and low key. Big theatrical events invite harsh criticism and anal deconstruction.

Keep the initial press events low key, and allow commercial marketing (which does need to be significant) to do its job. Once a quality product has been established, follow up with the big events when annual upgrades come to light.

RIM has already fallen flat with big announcements in the past. The entire industry is ready to pounce at the next one. Cut the opportunity to pounce, and their job is easier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    09-14-12 05:02 PM
    When RIM is ready to announce their BB10 devices, unless they have something shockingly different and new as compared to what's already on the market with other platforms, I think they should keep the announcement very simple and low key. Big theatrical events invite harsh criticism and anal deconstruction.

Keep the initial press events low key, and allow commercial marketing (which does need to be significant) to do its job. Once a quality product has been established, follow up with the big events when annual upgrades come to light.

RIM has already fallen flat with big announcements in the past. The entire industry is ready to pounce at the next one. Cut the opportunity to pounce, and their job is easier.
    This is exactly the way they should approach it.

RIM can't build up the excitement that Apple and Samsung can. They invite themselves to being over-analysed. There's nothing more pathetic than a company who has trouble competing tooting their own horn in this manner.

RIM needs to keep things simple and low-key. Let the product do the talking and build slowly - start to gain some trust back from their user-base and anyone looking to buy a new phone.
    Market it but don't waste a lot of money by over-marketing it. The ads should be strategically timed in the proper time and place - and they shouldn't be in your face, loud and brash... keep it simple and light.
    09-14-12 06:10 PM

A pre order that sells out in an hour has 'fallen flat'? I thought apple had patented the reality distortion field?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    09-14-12 06:38 PM
    A pre order that sells out in an hour has 'fallen flat'? I thought apple had patented the reality distortion field?

The launch fell so flat that the Apple servers crashed from the frenzied masses trying to order a lackluster phone.
    09-14-12 06:42 PM
    I didn't get my order in until 8 this morning, and my expected ship date is 5 days after launch.

At this point anyone who thinks the iPhone 5 will not be another successful product is just being delusional.

If BB10 could get a quarter of the iphone 5 launch sales, it would completely save RIM.

09-14-12 06:48 PM
    Regarding the iPhone launch, if by fallen flat, you mean they are already sold out then you're right.
    How many pre-orders were actually put through? It's pretty meaningless to say something's been sold out without any numbers. For all we know, Apple could have only had a couple thousand available or something. It's no secret that they like to create the impression of scarcity and overwhelming demand for their products.
    09-14-12 07:23 PM
    How many pre-orders were actually put through? It's pretty meaningless to say something's been sold out without any numbers. For all we know, Apple could have only had a couple thousand available or something. It's no secret that they like to create the impression of scarcity and overwhelming demand for their products.
    I agree, if apple was to say they sold 1 million the first hour, who would question it? They shoot all kinds of sh*t out their mouths, why stop.
    09-14-12 07:35 PM
    Really? A couple thousand?
    09-14-12 07:42 PM
    I agree, if apple was to say they sold 1 million the first hour, who would question it? They shoot all kinds of sh*t out their mouths, why stop.
    Because not only are they a publicly traded company, they are the largest publicly traded company and subject to intense amounts of scrutiny? They can't make up fake numbers because people are going to know as soon as their next earnings report, or even before then.

Honestly, where do some of you people get this?
    09-14-12 07:44 PM
    The actual numbers, of course, are not out but Bloomberg estimates that 23-26 million units will be sold in the quarter ending September.

Apple Hits Record as IPhone 5 Seen Sold Out: San Francisco Mover - SFGate
    09-14-12 07:49 PM
    RIM really needs to work with carriers and set a general release date for Blackberry 10 phones. In previous years, release dates (and phones options) will vary by carrier.

But don't think RIM has this kind of power, but would be nice to have a single BlackBerry 10 launch date.
    09-14-12 07:58 PM
    I agree with the OP.

To not have an availability date during a reveal/announcement is silly! The reveal/announcement is when you have everyone's attention and to leave the availability up in the air is a let down, allows for wandering eyes and makes people forget without a target/date to look forward to.

There is no excuse for a company to not be able to set a date for availability. If Apple can do it, it can be done!
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    09-14-12 08:09 PM
    RIM really needs to work with carriers and set a general release date for Blackberry 10 phones. In previous years, release dates (and phones options) will vary by carrier.

But don't think RIM has this kind of power, but would be nice to have a single BlackBerry 10 launch date.
    I absolutely agree!

There's been too much confusion among customers wanting to buy past BBs. I remember how much outrage there was over AT&T releasing the Bold 9900 and other OS 7 devices much later than Verizon and Sprint. For AT&T customers, their experience was a bit marred. This shouldn't be allowed to happen to BB10 devices. But, as you said, it's hard to say exactly how much power RIM has in dictacting these measures.
    I agree with the OP.

To not have an availability date during a reveal/announcement is silly! The reveal/announcement is when you have everyone's attention and to leave the availability up in the air is a let down, allows for wandering eyes and makes people forget without a target/date to look forward to.

There is no excuse for a company to not be able to set a date for availability. If Apple can do it, it can be done!
    Completely agree here as well!

No device announcements should be made until carriers actually have devices in-stock, ready to go out on the sales floor on release day and are completely prepared to take pre-orders within two-three days of the announcement.
    09-14-12 08:18 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD