- 12-13-2012, 10:05 AM #28
@GLindeque VoIP needs to have a minimum sustained bandwidth on both the upload and the download through the ISP. Is the WAN connection to the ISP DSL? If not what is it and what is your agreed upon upload and download speeds with your provider. Your WAN connection to the Internet will be your choke point, not the WiFi itself. When I was in SA a couple years ago, the quality of the Internet service in Sandton or Pretoria wasn't great. VoIP is only as good as the connections it is using from A to B.
- CrackBerry User
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM #29
- 20 Posts
I agree, RIM took its last beacon of hope -- BBM -- and wrecked it with the new upgrade. The train of stupidity out of Waterloo continues.
Today, after upgrading, I unhappily learned that my personal Blackberry and corporate Blackberry had their BBM contacts merged into one big pile on BOTH phones, which I did NOT want. No longer can I keep the two BBM profiles separate, as they are now cloud-tethered instead of PIN-tethered. It's becoming clear why RIM requires you to accept a new User Agreement upon upgrade: because they're phishing for your contacts and making BBM a cloud service...perhaps they are trying to sell/market customer information à la Facebook/Google style?
I had to make a choice whether I wanted my Boss and my Boss's Boss sending me texts at 7:00PM at night on my personal phone, since my corporate phone goes to sleep at 6:45PM. However, BBM cannot be uninstalled from Blackberry app world, so now I'm stuck with it though I'll never be using it on my corporate phone again, which is regrettable as it was a handy productivity tool.
I regret upgrading.
The message this sends is:
(1) They'd rather sell me one phone instead of two (actually, our corporate IT department is moving to 100% Apple in 2014 anyway, so that number is going to zero).
(2) They're not afraid to destroy the one remaining crown jewel RIM has...BBM.
(3) It's okay to alienate your core base of loyal users while your competition runs circles around you.
If anybody knows how to roll back the latest update, please PM me with instructions.
very unhappy George
Last edited by george_helgerson; 12-13-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence
- 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM #30Phones:
Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S+ Z10 + Bold 9000
16GB Playbook> Playbook 32GB
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL
- 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM #31
This is very interesting through. If someone sends a BBM to your work phone or personal phone is it showing up on the other? If so RIM has delivered what a lot of people have been ******** for a while now and means that BBM will work across multiple handsets, or on both a Playbook and a phone.
- CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
12-13-2012, 10:28 AM #32
- 5,369 Posts
I quite like BBM Voice, im in the uk and have had convos with people in the US and Canada, but the best one i had was with someone actually underground in one of the london subway stations, as they have wifi down there. apparently got alot of looks as theres no signal for calls down there hahaha
- 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM #33
All is well and good for me with BBM7, especially the Voice Chat. Clear, no connection problems, loving it so far.It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-13-2012, 10:37 AM #34
- 114 Posts
You do not normally hear about the happy users since they have nothing to post about. Therefore for every one complaint you can assume there are tons of happy usersFollow the breadcrumb trail of RIM's epic comeback with BB10BelieveIt on Twitter at @CrumbsObserver
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-13-2012, 10:50 AM #36
- 118 Posts
- 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM #38
The latest updates to BBM have all worked fine for me, no real setup process out of the ordinary. As for the BBID thing, Uh... I got numerous BBID's from review units and such and none of that is an issue for me.
- 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM #40
- 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM #41
- 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM #42
Works perfect for me, and for everyone in my bbm list who upgraded to bbm7. (thats about 6 people by now)"Your Punishment Must Be More Severe"
- 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM #43Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v18.104.22.1684) | Rooted SGS IV
- 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM #44
- 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM #45
1) That most likely leaves you with no BBM because it's likely to be difficult to find a version to roll back to.
2) You've only avoided the problem, not fixed it. As has been mentioned before, with the change to Blackberry ID controlling BBM, you need separate IDs for work and personal. I'm sure there's a way to fix it without losing contacts on one phone or the other. But it's not something I've dealt with, so I don't have an answer for that one.
If you have or had any thought of using BB10, these are things you should have adjusted for. BBM will NOT be PIN based in BB10. And it was publicly announced months ago that the change was coming this month. I hope the solution is easier than I think it will be.
- 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM #46
If I had two phones for completely different purposes, as you clearly do, I'd have 2 BBID's. That would just make sense.
- 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM #47
- 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM #49
OP, first off, sorry to hear you're having issues with BBM7.
But you have to remember, the vast majority of people posting something about a new product or feature is very likely to be regarding questions or problems. Those are the members that are usually more inclined to voice an opinion or concern; so to the casual observer, it would appear that a product or feature was fraught with issues. And imagine hundreds of people all posting 'it's working great for me!' -- it would be just slightly less irritating than the hundreds of 'downloading now' posts we get every time a new OS leak drops.
Hope you get your issue resolved soon.Ed
Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
- CrackBerry User
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM #50
- 79 Posts
I think that the title of this thread is misleading and utterly inaccurate considering it represented a very weakly supported "feeling" that the OP had. If I were a Mod, I'd change it lol.
- By DuexNoir in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 62Last Post: 09-27-2012, 09:17 PM
- By emfleck in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 0Last Post: 01-16-2010, 11:19 AM
- By tungftu in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 19Last Post: 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
- By CaraP in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
- By CarynLucy in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 21Last Post: 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM