I called my carrier (Fido) today to help me with an issue i'm having with my bb, which is that I can't play YouTube videos on my phone (tried everything possible with no luck), and their answer for me was "we don't troubleshoot non-fido blackberrys please contact RIM for further assistance" so I called RIM, CS Rep asks me to give her my credit card info. Confused and curious to ask why I should and she says you will be charged $50 per technical issue. Still confused, I reminded her that I was their customer for a year so far and this is how I get help when I actually need it which she replied that this was RIMs policy not something she could change. Is why Fido's CS told me to contact RIM for further assistance, because they also get a cut? At first, I though I was being scammed as soon as she asked me for my credit card info but unfortunately this wasn't the case. Some of you may have experienced this before and some of you haven't, which could be something to be aware of in the future when contacting RIM for tech support. So do you guys think this is fair, charging your customers who need your help to solve their issue? Anyone know how to get around this BS because i'm not paying them $50 for getting help I should've been getting for free when I already pay them $30 to use their BIS. Sound like they need to learn more about satisfying their customers in order to keep them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 11-08-10 at 06:31 PM.
    11-08-10 06:24 PM
    ATT is pulling the same crap. every tech question that isn't answered by their database of canned answers gets referred to RIM and RIM charges.
    11-08-10 06:26 PM
    That is garbage at its best! SMH

11-08-10 06:57 PM
    My 3 experiences with this has been VERY different. When AT&T can't solve the
    problem they transfer me to RIM. Because AT&T made the transfer the matter of a
    charge was ever even mentioned.

It is my understanding that if you call on your own, you are charged. If the carrier
    makes the transfer, you are not.
    11-08-10 07:00 PM

It is my understanding that if you call on your own, you are charged. If the carrier
    Exactly my experience too. You better make sure your carrier is the one that
    transfers you. They either don't get charged or pay that bill. If you call RIM on
    your own, have your wallet ready.
    11-08-10 07:09 PM

You are correct. If a carrier transfers you to RIM, you do not pay for tech support. If you call RIM on your own, then you better open up the wallet.
    11-08-10 07:15 PM
    Nope tried that and they still said they will charge me

11-08-10 07:33 PM
    Maybe it makes a difference if you are in Canada or the US.
    11-08-10 09:02 PM
    Maybe it makes a difference if you are in Canada or the US.
    Don't think so. I think the problem is he is using a phone not issued by his carrier so they are under no obligation to assist with warranty issues.
    11-08-10 09:04 PM
    Don't think so. I think the problem is he is using a phone not issued by his carrier so they are under no obligation to assist with warranty issues.
    I just reread the OP (missed that part) and I agree. If they don't do the
    troubleshooting for devices they don't issue the OP is on their own.
    11-08-10 09:45 PM
    I just reread the OP (missed that part) and I agree. If they don't do the
    troubleshooting for devices they don't issue the OP is on their own.
    I understand that part now but why would RIM Charge their customers $50 in the first place. So what now I'd have to pay $50 everytime I have a problem that can't be solved elsewhere and need it to be solved by professionals? That's BS. And the only blackberrys fido have are the pearl 8100 and the curve 8520 which i'm not interested in. i'm pretty sure you guys would do the same if u were in my shoes now.

11-08-10 09:56 PM
    This may seem harsh and it isn't meant to be but I agree with RIM doing this. If not
    they'd be flooded with every trivial problem people run into.

$50.00 is pretty much an assurance that a person calling has a problem big
    enough to warrant paying the charge. Not being able to play YouTube videos just
    does not seem to rise to that level. And again, I am not being intentionally harsh.
    11-08-10 10:04 PM
    This may seem harsh and it isn't meant to be but I agree with RIM doing this. If not

does not seem to rise to that level. And again, I am not being intentionally harsh.
    Oh please if Apple can handle those millions of calls during their antenna crisis then why can't RIM handle less calls as well. Are you saying they're not consistent enough?

11-08-10 10:20 PM
    First this has nothing to do with Apple. I do stand by my comment. The charge is
    a good idea to keep them from being flooded with trivial problems. I have zero
    objection to the practice.
    11-08-10 10:27 PM
    Oh please if Apple can handle those millions of calls during their antenna crisis then why can't RIM handle less calls as well. Are you saying they're not consistent enough?

the thing is that apple are not just a manufacturer but also a retailer, you can pop to an apple store, or hit up their website and buy what you want (white iphone4 aside) whereas RIM is merely a manufacturer, you didnt get the device from them, all they `sell` themselves is the accessories to the public, and as such the warranty can normally be handled through your carrier and/or handset supplier. samsung also charge for warranty issues here in the UK (may be different elsewhere) so RIM is not alone in doing this.

also just to mention for the extended tech help from apple you need to buy applecare, so they kinda have it that way sorted too lol
    11-08-10 10:32 PM

I actually agree. If you have a problem how about searching and trying to find a solution to the problem first. Then if it is something that can not be found anywhere online or solved here it probably is worth the call.

In this case that is the price for using a blackberry that is not covered by your provider.
    11-08-10 10:34 PM
    As others have already said, it's been like this forever. However, this is another good example of how RIM's customers ARE NOT the consumers but actually the carriers.

I wonder what they do for support for BBs purchased through their own Blackberry stores... the one or two they actually have. What do they do then, just sell carrier branded units there too and pawn you off to those useless CSRa for support? WTF is the point behind those BB stores then? It was my understanding a couple of years ago that those stores sold unbranded and unlocked BBs. Seems RIM would have to cover those directly. Anyone have a correct answer about that?

11-08-10 11:09 PM
    Technically you are Fido's customer. Not RIM's (unless you pay for support). The carrier (Fido) is the customer of RIM. If your carrier refuses to assist you, or can not fulfill your needs, maybe you should look at that.

I left FIDO for this exact reason. Heck, they refused to push servicebooks out back in the day, and refused to troubleshoot basic ACCOUNT settings unless my Fido phone was plugged into the network rather then an unlocked Rogers BB (sigh).

Blame your carrier. RIM would help if your carrier (their client) asked them to.

On a side note, almost all of my issues were resolved by the CB community. I just got sick of poor carrier service / product knowledge.

Good luck.

Last edited by hexwulf; 11-08-10 at 11:22 PM.
    11-08-10 11:13 PM
    As others have already said, it's been like this forever. However, this is another good example of how RIM's customers ARE NOT the consumers but actually the carriers.

I wonder what they do for support for BBs purchased through their own Blackberry stores... the one or two they actually have. What do they do then, just sell carrier branded units there too and pawn you off to those useless CSRa for support? WTF is the point behind those BB stores then? It was my understanding a couple of years ago that those stores sold unbranded and unlocked BBs. Seems RIM would have to cover those directly. Anyone have a correct answer about that?

RIM supported a set issue I was having with an old 8100 series a few years ago. Ultimately shipped a replacement out. I bought it unbranded online direct.

I'd imagine others with PoP would be able to do the same.

Cheers

11-08-10 11:21 PM
    Technically you are Fido's customer. Not RIM's (unless you pay for support). The carrier (Fido) is the customer of RIM. If your carrier refuses to assist you, or can not fulfill your needs, maybe you should look at that.

I left FIDO for this exact reason. Heck, they refused to push servicebooks out back in the day, and refused to troubleshoot basic ACCOUNT settings unless my Fido phone was plugged into the network rather then an unlocked Rogers BB (sigh).

Blame your carrier. RIM would help if your carrier (their client) asked them to.

On a side note, almost all of my issues were resolved by the CB community. I just got sick of poor carrier service / product knowledge.

Good luck.

Fortunately they've pushed out the MMS servicebook to non-fido bbs a few weeks ago, so now my bb is functioning fully. They've solved all my problems ever since but when it comes to trouble shooting that's where I reach a dead end and have to come here for help but unfortunately this bug couldn't by solved at all. Maybe if they had a better selection of BBs other than the only pearl 8100 they were carrying a year ago which left me no choice but to purchase an iphone, this wouldn't have happened but with my such luck I had to go with Fido over Rogers :/

Last edited by luqman24; 11-08-10 at 11:42 PM.
    11-08-10 11:33 PM
    @ the OP: What kind of error message are you getting when trying to play YouTube videos? And are you on 3G?
    11-09-10 12:53 AM
    I agree with AG - not being able to watch youtube videos doesn't seem like a dire enough issue. If they were charging for no BIS service, loss of email function, BBM maybe. Youtube? Sorry, no.

I had issues with youtube on my Storm. Didn't call RIM - I just didn't watch youtube. It's youtube for crying out loud.
    11-09-10 07:21 AM
    Is your Phone Branded?

If yes then... Call the carrier from whom you purchased the BB..

And then tell them to transfer it to RIM..

Maybe it will work..
    11-09-10 07:47 AM
    As much as it sucks that they charge, in all honesty, it's kind of moot as I would doubt there are many problems that cannot be solved by someone here on the forum......
    11-09-10 07:48 AM
    Having had some very recent issues with RIM...I am sad to say that I agree with the original poster. I tried at first to get through with Sprint and finally got RIM on the phone and a customer service rep told me in very impolite terms that I was to pay. I told them absolutely not. My phone was brand new and under warranty and if they thought I was going to pay for them to tell me how to make the phone work how it is SUPPOSED to work then their smoking something. I have become on first name basis with three tech support people in RIM and I adore them but there are several that I cannot stand. You should have not to pay for a product that you pay for regardless where you bought it. If it is brand new and out of the box why should you? The whole idea that RIM releases any liability when the carriers carry the product is ridiculous and has left a sour taste in my mouth. I love Blackberry but sadly to say I do not love my current phone and I am eagerly waiting to upgrade to something different and better. Hopefully a different model of BB. Just my thoughts and experiences.
    11-09-10 07:52 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD