Finz, I am not sure what you are going to achieve with your postings here. As I already translated, Heins did an interview just prior weekend with well-known german newspaper Die Welt saying they simply are considering it as an option. Considering as in form of a possibility. However Heins also stated launching BB10 and bringing these devices to the market is the top number one priority at RIM. Everything else will be decided after that, depending on how BB10 will perform on the market.
    Not trying to "achieve" a thing. Just fostering some conversation and inviting some differing opinions. Is that allowed ?
    01-21-13 01:27 PM
    Not trying to "achieve" a thing. Just fostering some conversation and inviting some differing opinions. Is that allowed ?
    clearly
    01-21-13 01:50 PM
    Thor is taking Questions via the @BlackBerry twitter handle right now.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    has anyone asked the question about this comment beign true that he will sell their hardware division
    01-21-13 01:51 PM
    well you asked what you could gather from this an we answered:

Not much.. it's like having a Plan B.

Smart if you ask me.

Yet it seems like you keep trying to infer it's some sign that he doesn't have confidence in BB10 (by linking a 5-month article then just quoting a recent one)... Which all you need to do is watch any of his interviews and you can see he has a ton of confidence in the product. Correct me if I'm wrong on either of those.

Here's the text that I found in an article summarizing that Die Welt interview:
    RIM CEO Says Licensing BlackBerry 10 Is “Conceivable”. Also Not Ruling Out Selling Its Hardware Production Business | TechCrunch
    "Heins added that RIM is still undergoing a strategic review — with the possibility of licensing BB10 and selling its hardware production unit both still options on the table. “But there is no reason for us to decide in [haste],” he added. ”It is important first of all, BlackBerry 10 successfully putting them on the market. Then we shall see.”"

Never saw anything about even if BB10 is successful, they'd be selling hardware div... Liscensing BB10 is diff from exiting the hardware biz...

And just to throw you a bone, if it did happen.. I'm sure that through the results of the "strategic review" that would have been decided as the most profitable alternative and therefore would be the best thing for the company, stock price, and future of RIM at that point in time.
    01-21-13 01:58 PM
    well you asked what you could gather from this an we answered:

Not much.. it's like having a Plan B.

Smart if you ask me.

Yet it seems like you keep trying to infer it's some sign that he doesn't have confidence in BB10 (by linking a 5-month article then just quoting a recent one)... Which all you need to do is watch any of his interviews and you can see he has a ton of confidence in the product. Correct me if I'm wrong on either of those.

Here's the text that I found in an article summarizing that Die Welt interview:
    RIM CEO Says Licensing BlackBerry 10 Is “Conceivable”. Also Not Ruling Out Selling Its Hardware Production Business | TechCrunch
    "Heins added that RIM is still undergoing a strategic review — with the possibility of licensing BB10 and selling its hardware production unit both still options on the table. “But there is no reason for us to decide in [haste],” he added. ”It is important first of all, BlackBerry 10 successfully putting them on the market. Then we shall see.”"

Never saw anything about even if BB10 is successful, they'd be selling hardware div... Liscensing BB10 is diff from exiting the hardware biz...

And just to throw you a bone, if it did happen.. I'm sure that through the results of the "strategic review" that would have been decided as the most profitable alternative and therefore would be the best thing for the company, stock price, and future of RIM at that point in time.
    Thanks for the response !
    01-21-13 02:06 PM
    It's unfortunately that this quote got so much media (and here) attention, as it can /imply/ that RIM's CEO isn't confident in the new hardware... Still, better now, than next week...
    01-21-13 02:11 PM
    Look. Heins has said repeatedly that they're considering everything.... I wouldn't read much into stuff until it happens. Media loves taking a minor quote and making it a major one.
    While I agree with Kevin there is the issue of the build-quality of BlackBerry devices being second to none. A sell-off of the hardware division could lead to cheap plastic smartphones that require replacement for the slightest bump, grind, or fall.
    01-21-13 02:19 PM
    Its called fail safes .NO ceo can take a high position without fail safes.Once we sell 25 mill will be all hush hush talk.
    01-21-13 05:29 PM
    ok... so the media misinterprets ENGLISH interviews and press releases, but you guys are thinking that they did the correct translation on a GERMAN one?

LMAO. man COME ON.
    01-22-13 03:40 PM
    While I agree with Kevin there is the issue of the build-quality of BlackBerry devices being second to none. A sell-off of the hardware division could lead to cheap plastic smartphones that require replacement for the slightest bump, grind, or fall.
    Playbook is built pretty awesome... I even have one of the 'bad power button' ones, which isnt even a problem really.
    01-22-13 03:41 PM
    All I know is that RIM has to make money on its hardware division for it to make economic sense to hang on to it. That is a tough bargain as everyone else is making their junk in China.
    01-23-13 07:48 AM
    it has been RIM's position to consider all options to increase shareholder value, whether a sale or license deal or whatever,
    that has been RIM's position for some time now, just because that is news to somebody does not mean it is actually news.
    01-23-13 07:53 AM
37 12