RIM Can Still Make Tons Of Money -- Just Not In America

RIM Can Still Make Tons Of Money -- Just Not In America - Business Insider
    12-25-11 10:59 AM
    The article is 9 months old.
    12-25-11 11:24 AM
    Lol. Yeah, that is an old article.

The headline is pretty true though.. the revenue engine for RIM is still firing internationally and can fuel the company for a while as long as it doesn't stall out. It definitely buys RIM some time to get through their tech transition (assuming Wall Street doesn't interfere... if shares drop low enough then who knows what happens). But sooner than later RIM needs to win some love back in the US again.
    12-25-11 11:28 AM
    Kevin wanna trade phones
    Yeah they'll survive
    heck in my country(3rd world) alone they will never fall nothing like the U.S
    unless they just go out of business completely. This past Summer down
    there All I saw was Blackberry's. not 1 single iphone/Android amazing
    everyone had 9700s and 9800s.
    all The stores were promoting the Torch like it was a God lol.
    Felt kinda good actually
    12-25-11 11:52 AM
    it breaks my heart to see how a great company is not able to control its fall!, RIm needs to be more competitive and use there resources which i feel are the best as no other manufacturer in the world has there own data service network (BIS & BES), they need to pull up there socks.
    12-25-11 11:56 AM
    The problem with that strategy is that in the long run you have a Canadian company, paying Canadian salaries, competing in Asia in the non-premium segment against Asian companies in their own backyards.

Especially now that those Asian companies can provide good enough messaging for most people with a free operating system that they don't have to write themselves.

I think the only way that works is if RIM sticks to the high end segment of the worldwide market. But as has been said a thousand times, they need a new OS to compete in that high-end segment worldwide.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-25-11 at 12:47 PM.
    12-25-11 12:19 PM
    Rim is staring into an abyss in the developing world, nine months after that article was written. Those tweens who love their blackberrys for messaging their friends? The most price conscious ones are going to discover those cutthroat Chinese brand messaging phones soon. The somewhat price conscious "cool" set and the business people are going to switch to cheap Androids. A Canadian brand, paying Canadian management and design salaries, running a service that goes through Canadian servers, is not going to compete with all-third-world brands in price.
    12-25-11 12:48 PM
    That's right... you can also see that carriers from outside the US are adversing Blackberry much more.
    12-26-11 02:58 PM

I think the only way that works is if RIM sticks to the high end segment of the worldwide market. But as has been said a thousand times, they need a new OS to compete in that high-end segment worldwide.
    I agree. If the US market perceives BlackBerry to be a cheap brand that only appeals to customers in low-end markets, US customers will lose interest even more.
    12-26-11 04:27 PM
    Lol. Yeah, that is an old article.

The headline is pretty true though.. the revenue engine for RIM is still firing internationally and can fuel the company for a while as long as it doesn't stall out. It definitely buys RIM some time to get through their tech transition (assuming Wall Street doesn't interfere... if shares drop low enough then who knows what happens). But sooner than later RIM needs to win some love back in the US again.
    Hey Kevin, I totally get what your saying but I don't think we have to worry. I don't see Ottawa allowing a group of American stock brokers, media analysts and the mainstream media crushing the stock price of RIM so the company can be scooped up by an American compeditor.
    The distortion field is thick for now, RIMs game plan will work, it working now and BB10 is already getting the apps it needs long before its out.
    Just look at the price of a stock like htc. Trades many times higher than RIM, why. RIM makes better phones imo. htc doesn't have its own OS they just make phones. So wallstreet believes that a phone maker without a soul is far more valuable than one with it own OS, soul! I don't see a need or believe there ever will be one but RIM could always start making phones for other OS's. Thats what Wallstreet wants... American controll.. troll being the operative word...
    12-26-11 09:17 PM
    Hey Kevin, I totally get what your saying but I don't think we have to worry. I don't see Ottawa allowing a group of American stock brokers, media analysts and the mainstream media crushing the stock price of RIM so the company can be scooped up by an American compeditor.
    The distortion field is thick for now, RIMs game plan will work, it working now and BB10 is already getting the apps it needs long before its out.
    Just look at the price of a stock like htc. Trades many times higher than RIM, why. RIM makes better phones imo. htc doesn't have its own OS they just make phones. So wallstreet believes that a phone maker without a soul is far more valuable than one with it own OS, soul! I don't see a need or believe there ever will be one but RIM could always start making phones for other OS's. Thats what Wallstreet wants... American controll.. troll being the operative word...
    So it's all an American conspiracy, eh?

Globe and Mail articles on rim

The National Post's

Ottawa Citizen for good measure
    12-26-11 09:42 PM
    So it's all an American conspiracy, eh?

Globe and Mail articles on rim

The National Post's

Ottawa Citizen for good measure
    Very true. its a matter of how long its been going on and to the degree of witch its one sided. In the eyes of the American mainstream media RIM was dead since 2008 and they wont stop pounding the table until its a reality.
    I believe most American formulate their beliefs by watching their media.. Any non American that witnesses the coverage abroad understands theres no room for outside views.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 12-26-11 at 10:03 PM.
    12-26-11 09:55 PM
    Just look at the price of a stock like htc. Trades many times higher than RIM, why. RIM makes better phones imo. htc doesn't have its own OS they just make phones.
    The goal isn't to "have [your] own OS". . . the goal is to have a stronger business than competitors. The scary thing is that despite having its own OS, Rim is now less profitable than HTC. In fact, HTC has doubled RIM in profits over the last pair of quarters, with a business that is trending upward, not downward. You may be of the opinion that RIM makes better phones, but the steadily falling ASP says the number of people that would agree is a much smaller number than it used to be.

So wallstreet believes that a phone maker without a soul is far more valuable than one with it own OS, soul!
    As I wrote, HTC's "soulless" $600 million looks better than RIM's $300 million.

I don't see a need or believe there ever will be one but RIM could always start making phones for other OS's.
    But why would they need to do that? Like you said, they have their own OS!

Thats what Wallstreet wants... American controll.. troll being the operative word...
    "Wallstreet" wants to make money. Period. To even suggest anything else is both desperate and wrong.
    12-26-11 09:58 PM
    I believe most American formulate their beliefs by watching their media..
    I hate to break it to you, but RIM isn't a mainstream topic in this country.
    app_Developer and vrs626 like this.
    12-26-11 09:59 PM
    Very true. its a matter of how long its been going on and to the degree of witch its one sided. In the eyes of the American mainstream media RIM was dead since 2008 and they wont stop pounding the table until its a reality.
    I believe most American formulate their beliefs by watching their media.. Any non American that witnesses the coverage abroad understands theres no room for outside views.
    You better look again, those are Canadian papers.
    12-26-11 10:04 PM
    You better look again, those are Canadian papers.
    Ya, I saw that. Like I said, its about the massive onesided nature of the above stated media.
    12-26-11 10:28 PM
    As a Canadian, all I can say is I disagree with almost everything you say here. Your claim that the US media considered RIM dead in 2008 rather invalidates the rest of your post. Mainstream media, like too many posters here, didn't recognize the weaknesses in RIM's fundamentals at this time. And FWIW, people in every country are typically influenced by what their local media shows them.

You should check out the business failures in 2008. What with Bernie Madoff's shenanigans and big financial groups like Lehman and Countrywide failing right and left, RIM didn't really fly particularly high on the US business radar then.
    12-27-11 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD