RIM's Blackberry does not seem too eager to let go of the half a million Indian Subscriber Base as yet. They seem to have agreed to move some servers to India to enable Indian Government's Department of Telecom.

For the uninitiated, there has been a long tussle going on between blackberry and the Indian Government where India wanted to monitor specific data which were passed on between blackberry handsets over security issues due to the country's increasing terror threats.

After months of talks and meetings, the issue has finally been put to rest with Blackberry agreeing to let the Indian Government monitor messages in the format that they preferred. Blackberry users in India understandably heave a HUGE sigh of relief.

NDTV.com: Govt, BlackBerry provider resolve security issues

04-21-08 02:21 PM
    Saw this on Engadget this morning...doesn't look too good for privacy in India if you are on a BB

RIM allows Indian government to monitor Blackberry network - Engadget
    05-23-08 09:13 AM
    Do we know that RIM has not caved to the US government? Quietly? Or is it accepted that the US can just eavesdrop if it wants?
    05-23-08 10:12 AM
    You know, terrorism wouldn't be such a big issue if terrorists were just shot on sight instead of worrying about human rights for them. After a short time, people would think twice about trying to harm innocents over some misconstrued thoughts or beliefs.

I still can't believe there's so much everyone in the world could overcome and we could even advance much higher and faster in medical, technology, and science fields if we'd all just get over all the BS of money, religion, and politics.

Humans are fracking stupid animals...
    05-23-08 10:39 AM
    I'm sure every government in every country that has RIM's BB service has the unconditional right (and exercises that right often) to eavesdrop on BB communications. After all you cant be immune to that just because you're on a BB! Its a matter of security and it will be monitored. Of course I hope that the BB network is secure from non-governmental eavesdroppers!!
    05-23-08 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD