Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 111
Like Tree306Likes
  1. BaconMunch's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    590 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joe.miller View Post
    Attachment 131967

    In Thor We Trust
    Why is this not the standard mod reply to every "RIM doesn't know what it's doing" thread until January 30th? Whatever strategy they're executing, it's already in motion...
    Thanked by:
    Thunderbuck (01-21-2013) 
  2. bungaboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,749 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bambinoitaliano View Post
    Is Thor resigning from RIM? Did RIM post the vacancy on this site? Please let me know, because I would dump my shares first thing Monday morning!
    Less checkerboarding and feels snapier.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin (01-20-2013) 
  3. bungaboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,749 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle
    #28  

    Default

    It's less that 3 weeks to launch. Does anyone know what's going on?
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    Thanked by 3:
    Engire (01-20-2013),  pantlesspenguin (01-20-2013),  TheScionicMan (01-22-2013) 
  4. SK122387's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,466 Posts
    PIN
    2BD01FD1
    #29  

    Default

    Yeah, RIM is really asleep at the wheel for not spending money on a commercial to show a phone they haven't officially unveiled yet.............................................
    Sean

    Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    Thanked by:
    jesse_h (01-20-2013) 
    jesse_h and pantlesspenguin like this.
  5. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,039 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,273 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default Re: Rim Asleep @ the Wheel...

    Given that the product hasn't been launched and the lengths RIM has gone to keep a lid on leaks before the January 30th event, an ad blitz this week doesn't make sense to me. And what would the ads be like? "We have a bit chin' product coming out soon. Sorry we can't say anything more, or show you images, or tell you release dates, so stay tuned?"
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport
  6. #31  

    Default

    I think that really explains why the OP is missing the point.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    Thanked by:
    vespajet (01-21-2013) 
    jesse_h, qbnkelt, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
  7. Engire's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,210 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,252 Global Posts
    #32  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bungaboy View Post
    It's less that 3 weeks to launch. Does anyone know what's going on?
    ISWYDT
  8. shebmiller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #33  

    Default

    Ad time and slots are bought way ahead of air date. We'll see in 10 days dude.

    Waiting is the hardest part
    Seb

    Current Devices : Z10 and 32GB Playbook

    Retired, MIA or Deceased : 9800, 8800, 9500, 9500#2
    ---
    @shebmiller
    @mileendthieves
    http://fb.bandpage.com/mileendthieves
  9. louzer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    19,173 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,226 Global Posts
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KasukeSadiki View Post
    Couldn't you have posted this in one of the FIFTY THOUSAND other threads on this topic?
    But not in one Fifty Thousand thread where this is covered unlike legs.
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

    Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin (01-20-2013) 
  10. jesse_h's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,598 Global Posts
    #35  

    Default

    I had a rather long reply typed out, but i decided not to post it because i figured my criticisms on the intelligence of the OP would get me banned.
    S5
    Z10
    64gb PlayBook
    qbnkelt and Thunderbuck like this.
  11. collinc93's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    961 Posts
    #36  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louzer View Post
    But not in one Fifty Thousand thread where this is covered unlike legs.
    I like shapely legs. What is wrong with having them uncovered? :P
    jakie55 likes this.
  12. collinc93's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    961 Posts
    #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesseh View Post
    I had a rather long reply typed out, but i decided not to post it because i figured my criticisms on the intelligence of the OP would get me banned.
    what he.she said.....for once can we bite?
    jesse_h and Thunderbuck like this.
  13. jakie55's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77
    #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    Given that the product hasn't been launched and the lengths RIM has gone to keep a lid on leaks before the January 30th event, an ad blitz this week doesn't make sense to me. And what would the ads be like? "We have a bit chin' product coming out soon. Sorry we can't say anything more, or show you images, or tell you release dates, so stay tuned?"
    If I remember correctly, (and being an old phart, I surely could misremember,) the old RIM made many such remarks. Doing the same now I think, would cause howls of derision in the blogosphere.
    Last edited by jakie55; 01-21-2013 at 02:41 AM.
    Q 10 for the win!
    now on leak 10.3.0.1154 via Sachesi
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi retired
    Galaxy tab4 5.0 given to me free
  14. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    6,482 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,485 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #39  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWARRIOR View Post
    i suggested in another thread here that they should get out there NOW via the playoffs on tv here in the U.S. thus getting millions of eyes on,,, the general public here is clueless as affirmed by the numerous posts by cb'ers about interactions w/ friends & carrier reps,,, the more i thought about the idea of getting playoff ad time, (i posted a comment earlier today), the more of a great idea it was/is, if i do say so myself,,, that kind of airtime doesn't come cheap, but they've already stated they're going to spend $$$ on marketing,,, sooo, just moments ago what do i see??? a SAMSUNG SII/NOTE 2 commercial shooting @ the business/security demographic!!! ,,, guess it was/is a great idea,,, & i got the feeling that Rim may still be asleep @ the wheel,,, ,,, food for thought,,, if you guys in Toronto could put a bug in their ear, it would probably do some good,,, i feel this was a big misstep to lose the opportunity to get the word out...
    We're 10 days out. What, exactly, do you expect them to mobilize in that time?
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

    --Mark Twain
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  15. 416to604's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    590 Posts
    #40  

    Default

    What everyone else said... Plus it just makes sense to launch a new line of commercials that will dominate the airwaves for months to come during the first quarter of the superbowl #GladThePatsDidn'tMakeIt
    Z10 - Playbook 32GB
  16. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,479 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wino Ryder View Post
    Sometimes you and I dont see eye to eye, but I have to agree with you on that.
    i greatly respect your post,,, exactly what a good forum/thread should be about,,, discuss, agree, disagree, credit where due,,, i knew the bashers would be all over this one,,, sometimes even the slightest criticism here brings out the mob,,, some are not differentiating between PRODUCT & INFORMATION,,, the PRODUCT has not been released/launched,,, the INFORMATION has been "announced",,, carriers are taking pre-orders,,, look @ BB's website,,, look in your inbox,,, i know i'm not the only one getting weekly emails,,, "BB10- re-designed, re-engineered, re-invented, click here to learn more",,, so the "intelligence" of my post is right on,,, some could question the intelligence of some of the replies to this post, given the hashing out that was had in the "Aggressiveness" thread,,, i don't think it's too soon @ all to ramp up the hype,,, in fact, i think the "timing" is perfect,,, 10 days to BB10,,, friggin' genius if not downright brilliant,,, & i'm not saying that Rim doesn't know what it's doing, just that in my opinion, they missed a very big opportunity to get the INFORMATION out to a captive audience of millions of people,,, how many times have we seen commercials for a particular product before launch saying,"coming soon"??? they could "mobilize" any number of teaser techniques to lead up to launch starting w/ 10 or 15 sec. spots & extending the slots until launch day using the Rim released "images",,, they could easily do this without "leaking" anything,,, that would create even more interest & more pre-orders,,, to not see the logic in that would clearly be "missing the point"...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

    I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."
    rottonj likes this.
  17. KasukeSadiki's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    215 Posts
    #42  

    Default

    They could do all of that, you're right. But any such "teaser" ads they did now would not be very effective compared to the full on advertising they could do after the launch. A teaser may pique a bit of curiosity but an ad that shows off the software and hardware and its capabilities will be much more effective, especially coming from a company like Blackberry which many people have a negative bias toward. An ad about some new Blackberry coming soon is likely to be met with a "who cares, it's blackberry" response from the gen public. On the other hand, an ad demonstrating features will be more likely to get past people's initial reluctance because they have something concrete to judge, as opposed to a perception.

    Keeping this in mind, the marketing team at RIM has likely decided that since such ads would have little impact, they will focus their advertising dollars on all out ads after the launch. Instead of spending money to advertise during sporting events before the launch they'll use this money to do so during sporting events after the launch (Superbowl comes to mind, but who really knows). What their pre-launch strategy seems to be is to get the product in as many tech blogger's hands as possible to get some positive buzz going among the technology fans and begin to ease some of the negative bias of the media. And also to send info to the blackberry diehards to keep them excited. This plan seems to be working quite well.

    So anyway I guess my point is that, RIM has a plan. As good an idea as you think it would be to have had advertisements during these NFL playoffs and other such events, the management at RIM has decided it's not worth it. I mean, this is their job so they probably know what they're doing.
    Thanked by 2:
    jakie55 (01-22-2013),  pantlesspenguin (01-21-2013) 
  18. pantlesspenguin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,375 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #43  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KasukeSadiki View Post
    They could do all of that, you're right. But any such "teaser" ads they did now would not be very effective compared to the full on advertising they could do after the launch. A teaser may pique a bit of curiosity but an ad that shows off the software and hardware and its capabilities will be much more effective, especially coming from a company like Blackberry which many people have a negative bias toward. An ad about some new Blackberry coming soon is likely to be met with a "who cares, it's blackberry" response from the gen public. On the other hand, an ad demonstrating features will be more likely to get past people's initial reluctance because they have something concrete to judge, as opposed to a perception.

    Keeping this in mind, the marketing team at RIM has likely decided that since such ads would have little impact, they will focus their advertising dollars on all out ads after the launch. Instead of spending money to advertise during sporting events before the launch they'll use this money to do so during sporting events after the launch (Superbowl comes to mind, but who really knows). What their pre-launch strategy seems to be is to get the product in as many tech blogger's hands as possible to get some positive buzz going among the technology fans and begin to ease some of the negative bias of the media. And also to send info to the blackberry diehards to keep them excited. This plan seems to be working quite well.

    So anyway I guess my point is that, RIM has a plan. As good an idea as you think it would be to have had advertisements during these NFL playoffs and other such events, the management at RIM has decided it's not worth it. I mean, this is their job so they probably know what they're doing.
    I completely agree. RIM's marketing dollars are better spent on commercials demonstrating full featured functionality. After January 30th they can advertise everything BB10 can do til their heart's content. They can put the money they would have wasted on a coming soon ad on a full spot that will grab the attention and the imagination of the masses. Superbowl time would be ideal. When else are people nearly as focused on commercials as they are the main event?? Another prime time for US advertising: the NCAA basketball tournament. By that time the z10 is sure to have hit all US carriers, and we'll most likely know about carrier availability of the x10 by then, if it's not already rolling out.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
  19. jafrul's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,763 Posts
    PIN
    2B5A11B6
    #44  

    Default Rim Asleep @ the Wheel...

    i would have agreed for a pre-emptive commercial (do i sound like George Bush with the pre-emptive remark? lol), but i also don't think that USD2.9billion is NOT a lot of money to spend on advertisings..
    Not when you have to do a 'whole world' promotional campaign to push a brand new device, OS and BES10.
    and RIM had got to be calculative in where they're going to invest their money.

    Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    with due diligence
    BBM#8
    for Random Quotes on motivations, health and wealth..
    : subscribe to C001190A9
  20. playbookster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,440 Posts
    #45  

    Default

    No company officially advertises a product they havent shown off yet. Jan 30th is the kick off to the real marketing campaign. Everything before that has just been hype building.
    jesse_h likes this.
  21. Banco's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,626 Posts
    #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    No company officially advertises a product they havent shown off yet. Jan 30th is the kick off to the real marketing campaign. Everything before that has just been hype building.
    Yep, I am really struggling to think of anyone at all who would go full on advertising something you can't actually buy. Why would you? It's the fundamental point that all these threads overlook - you cannot buy the product yet. So there's nothing to advertise.
  22. ubizmo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,769 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,931 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BD8C4F9
    #47  

    Default

    A few months back, I was of the opinion that some sort of teaser ad campaign would be a good idea. Looking back, I think that opinion was driven by nothing more than my own desire to see something happening.

    As any stripper knows, the tease is only effective if you have something you know people want to see. BlackBerry has lost that edge with average consumers, and teaser ads would merely be pathetic. [Fill in your own stripper analogy]

    I think RIM is doing it right. They're keeping their clothes on until they're ready to show everything.
    Thanked by 2:
    Blacklatino (01-21-2013),  pantlesspenguin (01-21-2013) 
  23. Banco's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,626 Posts
    #48  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
    A few months back, I was of the opinion that some sort of teaser ad campaign would be a good idea. Looking back, I think that opinion was driven by nothing more than my own desire to see something happening.

    As any stripper knows, the tease is only effective if you have something you know people want to see. BlackBerry has lost that edge with average consumers, and teaser ads would merely be pathetic. [Fill in your own stripper analogy]

    I think RIM is doing it right. They're keeping their clothes on until they're ready to show everything.
    You've been looking at naughty things on the internet today, haven't you?
  24. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    70,060 Posts
    Global Posts
    70,215 Global Posts
    #49  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    My favorite number!
    Mine too
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
  25. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    70,060 Posts
    Global Posts
    70,215 Global Posts
    #50  

    Default

    I don't know. Does anyone think 50K worth of advertising will do the trick?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If RIM Redesigns the Storm...are we IN? or OUT?
    By HD_Dude in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 11:40 AM
  2. RIM reveals the story behind the name Storm.
    By matrix2004 in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 09:34 AM
  3. Apparently RIM got the message
    By rpalumbo in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM
  4. Why has RIM given the finger to it's users?
    By JohnnyButtpimples in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
  5. Hands on the Wheel, Not on the BlackBerry Keys
    By MMB916 in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions