Attachment 131967

In Thor We Trust
    Why is this not the standard mod reply to every "RIM doesn't know what it's doing" thread until January 30th? Whatever strategy they're executing, it's already in motion...
    01-20-13 07:18 PM
    Is Thor resigning from RIM? Did RIM post the vacancy on this site? Please let me know, because I would dump my shares first thing Monday morning!
    Less checkerboarding and feels snapier.
    01-20-13 07:19 PM
    It's less that 3 weeks to launch. Does anyone know what's going on?
    Engire, raino, louzer and 4 others like this.
    01-20-13 07:21 PM
    Yeah, RIM is really asleep at the wheel for not spending money on a commercial to show a phone they haven't officially unveiled yet.............................................
    jesse_h and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-20-13 07:22 PM
    Given that the product hasn't been launched and the lengths RIM has gone to keep a lid on leaks before the January 30th event, an ad blitz this week doesn't make sense to me. And what would the ads be like? "We have a bit chin' product coming out soon. Sorry we can't say anything more, or show you images, or tell you release dates, so stay tuned?"
    bungaboy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-20-13 07:23 PM
    I think that really explains why the OP is missing the point.
    jesse_h, bungaboy, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
    01-20-13 07:28 PM
    It's less that 3 weeks to launch. Does anyone know what's going on?
    ISWYDT
    01-20-13 07:29 PM
    Ad time and slots are bought way ahead of air date. We'll see in 10 days dude.

Waiting is the hardest part
    01-20-13 07:29 PM
    Couldn't you have posted this in one of the FIFTY THOUSAND other threads on this topic?
    But not in one Fifty Thousand thread where this is covered unlike legs.
    01-20-13 07:42 PM
    I had a rather long reply typed out, but i decided not to post it because i figured my criticisms on the intelligence of the OP would get me banned.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-20-13 07:58 PM
    But not in one Fifty Thousand thread where this is covered unlike legs.
    I like shapely legs. What is wrong with having them uncovered? :P
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-20-13 10:05 PM
    I had a rather long reply typed out, but i decided not to post it because i figured my criticisms on the intelligence of the OP would get me banned.
    what he.she said.....for once can we bite?
    Thunderbuck and jesse_h like this.
    01-20-13 10:06 PM
    Given that the product hasn't been launched and the lengths RIM has gone to keep a lid on leaks before the January 30th event, an ad blitz this week doesn't make sense to me. And what would the ads be like? "We have a bit chin' product coming out soon. Sorry we can't say anything more, or show you images, or tell you release dates, so stay tuned?"
    If I remember correctly, (and being an old phart, I surely could misremember,) the old RIM made many such remarks. Doing the same now I think, would cause howls of derision in the blogosphere.
    Last edited by jakie55; 01-21-13 at 02:41 AM.
    01-21-13 01:08 AM
    i suggested in another thread here that they should get out there NOW via the playoffs on tv here in the U.S. thus getting millions of eyes on,,, the general public here is clueless as affirmed by the numerous posts by cb'ers about interactions w/ friends & carrier reps,,, the more i thought about the idea of getting playoff ad time, (i posted a comment earlier today), the more of a great idea it was/is, if i do say so myself,,, that kind of airtime doesn't come cheap, but they've already stated they're going to spend $$$ on marketing,,, sooo, just moments ago what do i see??? a SAMSUNG SII/NOTE 2 commercial shooting @ the business/security demographic!!! ,,, guess it was/is a great idea,,, & i got the feeling that Rim may still be asleep @ the wheel,,, ,,, food for thought,,, if you guys in Toronto could put a bug in their ear, it would probably do some good,,, i feel this was a big misstep to lose the opportunity to get the word out...
    We're 10 days out. What, exactly, do you expect them to mobilize in that time?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-21-13 01:21 AM
    What everyone else said... Plus it just makes sense to launch a new line of commercials that will dominate the airwaves for months to come during the first quarter of the superbowl #GladThePatsDidn'tMakeIt
    01-21-13 01:23 AM
    Sometimes you and I dont see eye to eye, but I have to agree with you on that.
    i greatly respect your post,,, exactly what a good forum/thread should be about,,, discuss, agree, disagree, credit where due,,, i knew the bashers would be all over this one,,, sometimes even the slightest criticism here brings out the mob,,, some are not differentiating between PRODUCT & INFORMATION,,, the PRODUCT has not been released/launched,,, the INFORMATION has been "announced",,, carriers are taking pre-orders,,, look @ BB's website,,, look in your inbox,,, i know i'm not the only one getting weekly emails,,, "BB10- re-designed, re-engineered, re-invented, click here to learn more",,, so the "intelligence" of my post is right on,,, some could question the intelligence of some of the replies to this post, given the hashing out that was had in the "Aggressiveness" thread,,, i don't think it's too soon @ all to ramp up the hype,,, in fact, i think the "timing" is perfect,,, 10 days to BB10,,, friggin' genius if not downright brilliant,,, & i'm not saying that Rim doesn't know what it's doing, just that in my opinion, they missed a very big opportunity to get the INFORMATION out to a captive audience of millions of people,,, how many times have we seen commercials for a particular product before launch saying,"coming soon"??? they could "mobilize" any number of teaser techniques to lead up to launch starting w/ 10 or 15 sec. spots & extending the slots until launch day using the Rim released "images",,, they could easily do this without "leaking" anything,,, that would create even more interest & more pre-orders,,, to not see the logic in that would clearly be "missing the point"...
    rottonj likes this.
    01-21-13 03:24 AM
    They could do all of that, you're right. But any such "teaser" ads they did now would not be very effective compared to the full on advertising they could do after the launch. A teaser may pique a bit of curiosity but an ad that shows off the software and hardware and its capabilities will be much more effective, especially coming from a company like Blackberry which many people have a negative bias toward. An ad about some new Blackberry coming soon is likely to be met with a "who cares, it's blackberry" response from the gen public. On the other hand, an ad demonstrating features will be more likely to get past people's initial reluctance because they have something concrete to judge, as opposed to a perception.

Keeping this in mind, the marketing team at RIM has likely decided that since such ads would have little impact, they will focus their advertising dollars on all out ads after the launch. Instead of spending money to advertise during sporting events before the launch they'll use this money to do so during sporting events after the launch (Superbowl comes to mind, but who really knows). What their pre-launch strategy seems to be is to get the product in as many tech blogger's hands as possible to get some positive buzz going among the technology fans and begin to ease some of the negative bias of the media. And also to send info to the blackberry diehards to keep them excited. This plan seems to be working quite well.

So anyway I guess my point is that, RIM has a plan. As good an idea as you think it would be to have had advertisements during these NFL playoffs and other such events, the management at RIM has decided it's not worth it. I mean, this is their job so they probably know what they're doing.
    01-21-13 03:44 AM
    They could do all of that, you're right. But any such "teaser" ads they did now would not be very effective compared to the full on advertising they could do after the launch. A teaser may pique a bit of curiosity but an ad that shows off the software and hardware and its capabilities will be much more effective, especially coming from a company like Blackberry which many people have a negative bias toward. An ad about some new Blackberry coming soon is likely to be met with a "who cares, it's blackberry" response from the gen public. On the other hand, an ad demonstrating features will be more likely to get past people's initial reluctance because they have something concrete to judge, as opposed to a perception.

Keeping this in mind, the marketing team at RIM has likely decided that since such ads would have little impact, they will focus their advertising dollars on all out ads after the launch. Instead of spending money to advertise during sporting events before the launch they'll use this money to do so during sporting events after the launch (Superbowl comes to mind, but who really knows). What their pre-launch strategy seems to be is to get the product in as many tech blogger's hands as possible to get some positive buzz going among the technology fans and begin to ease some of the negative bias of the media. And also to send info to the blackberry diehards to keep them excited. This plan seems to be working quite well.

So anyway I guess my point is that, RIM has a plan. As good an idea as you think it would be to have had advertisements during these NFL playoffs and other such events, the management at RIM has decided it's not worth it. I mean, this is their job so they probably know what they're doing.
    I completely agree. RIM's marketing dollars are better spent on commercials demonstrating full featured functionality. After January 30th they can advertise everything BB10 can do til their heart's content. They can put the money they would have wasted on a coming soon ad on a full spot that will grab the attention and the imagination of the masses. Superbowl time would be ideal. When else are people nearly as focused on commercials as they are the main event?? Another prime time for US advertising: the NCAA basketball tournament. By that time the z10 is sure to have hit all US carriers, and we'll most likely know about carrier availability of the x10 by then, if it's not already rolling out.
    01-21-13 04:04 AM
    i would have agreed for a pre-emptive commercial (do i sound like George Bush with the pre-emptive remark? lol), but i also don't think that USD2.9billion is NOT a lot of money to spend on advertisings..
    Not when you have to do a 'whole world' promotional campaign to push a brand new device, OS and BES10.
    and RIM had got to be calculative in where they're going to invest their money.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 07:54 AM
    No company officially advertises a product they havent shown off yet. Jan 30th is the kick off to the real marketing campaign. Everything before that has just been hype building.
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-21-13 07:57 AM
    No company officially advertises a product they havent shown off yet. Jan 30th is the kick off to the real marketing campaign. Everything before that has just been hype building.
    Yep, I am really struggling to think of anyone at all who would go full on advertising something you can't actually buy. Why would you? It's the fundamental point that all these threads overlook - you cannot buy the product yet. So there's nothing to advertise.
    01-21-13 08:09 AM
    A few months back, I was of the opinion that some sort of teaser ad campaign would be a good idea. Looking back, I think that opinion was driven by nothing more than my own desire to see something happening.

As any stripper knows, the tease is only effective if you have something you know people want to see. BlackBerry has lost that edge with average consumers, and teaser ads would merely be pathetic. [Fill in your own stripper analogy]

I think RIM is doing it right. They're keeping their clothes on until they're ready to show everything.
    01-21-13 09:42 AM
    A few months back, I was of the opinion that some sort of teaser ad campaign would be a good idea. Looking back, I think that opinion was driven by nothing more than my own desire to see something happening.

As any stripper knows, the tease is only effective if you have something you know people want to see. BlackBerry has lost that edge with average consumers, and teaser ads would merely be pathetic. [Fill in your own stripper analogy]

I think RIM is doing it right. They're keeping their clothes on until they're ready to show everything.
    You've been looking at naughty things on the internet today, haven't you?
    01-21-13 09:51 AM
    My favorite number!
    Mine too
    pantlesspenguin and bungaboy like this.
    01-21-13 10:11 AM
    I don't know. Does anyone think 50K worth of advertising will do the trick?
    pantlesspenguin and bungaboy like this.
    01-21-13 10:15 AM
111 1234 ...