So I was in Best Buy wasting time and happened to talk to on of their employees about the Storm. I told him that I was considering upgrading to the Storm when it came out and he asked what I was going to do with my pearl. I joked that my daughter has been asking for it, but she wasn't ready for a phone yet, let alone a Berry.

He then told me that I didn't need to keep it active, but that she could use it to Blackberry Instant Message me, even if I didn't have a plan on that phone. She could also use it for 911 if necessary.

Is that true?? Could we still use it as to BB instant message each other??
    10-25-08 09:58 PM
    I think you will need a data plan for bbm. I have heard however that a cell can call 911 without service.
    10-25-08 10:14 PM
    To use BBM and almost any other IM program you will definitely
    need to have data. That employee steered you wrong, but that's
    not a surprise.
    10-25-08 10:22 PM
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I was pretty sure that it would be able to call 911, but I hadn't ever heard of it still being able to use BBM.

As you say, not surprising that a Best Buy guy was wrong... Thanks for the replies.
    10-25-08 10:25 PM
    OK, not to steer this the wrong way but, what about PIN messages (vice BBM)?
    10-26-08 10:19 AM
    Bbm = pin message

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 10:22 AM
    OK, then. So BBM is just an interface for PIN messages? So, no plan, no BBM nor PINs. BTW, where I live, 911 "should" work on a phone without a plan.
    10-26-08 10:46 AM
    when you send a pin message the BlackBerry Infrastructure checks the provisioning on the phone to see if it has a data plan and is able to send and receive pin msgs. So you have to have a data plan and an active sim card for PIN msgs to work
    10-26-08 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD