Hello there

I have a BlackBerry 9900 and I am a fan of constantly updating and trying new OS versions. One of my biggest beefs with updating, though, is the fact that you lose your 3rd party applications and that they cannot be (or at least I am not aware of that) backed up using BB Desktop Manager. I always use BBSAK, however, to backup apps before I wipe the device and then load the new OS onto it using the App Loader.

One problem I notice when restoring applications using BBSAK, however, is that they don't actually show up in the BlackBerry App World but rather in the uninstalled section, which means you will not be receiving update notifications for any application (except the ones that come already loaded with the device) since App World doesn't even realize that they're actually installed on your device.

Is there a way to fix this? It truly is annoying, especially if you have a lot of applications like myself.

If any body has any advice or information please share it.

Thank you very much and have a great day/night every body.
    10-26-12 05:54 PM
    Hello there

I have a BlackBerry 9900 and I am a fan of constantly updating and trying new OS versions. One of my biggest beefs with updating, though, is the fact that you lose your 3rd party applications and that they cannot be (or at least I am not aware of that) backed up using BB Desktop Manager. I always use BBSAK, however, to backup apps before I wipe the device and then load the new OS onto it using the App Loader.

One problem I notice when restoring applications using BBSAK, however, is that they don't actually show up in the BlackBerry App World but rather in the uninstalled section, which means you will not be receiving update notifications for any application (except the ones that come already loaded with the device) since App World doesn't even realize that they're actually installed on your device.

Is there a way to fix this? It truly is annoying, especially if you have a lot of applications like myself.

If any body has any advice or information please share it.

Thank you very much and have a great day/night every body.
    Hi there. Unfortunately, if you restore all your apps using BBSAK as one item, then you will NOT get updates and indeed; you cannot delete individual apps AFAIK. That is about the only drawback to using BBSAK. I love the app and constantly make cods of my apps to reinstall later.

Try this: back up your apps with BBSAK. It creates a folder of .cod files. Transfer the folder of cod files to your phone's storage card. Now download and install Rock File Manager. It is free as I recall. It allows you to reinstall apps by using just the cod file. Problem solved. A quick way to get back up and running after an OS overhaul. Although you will have to install apps one at a time.

Now as far as getting updates for those apps....hmmmmmmm I dunno. But I bet unless you reinstall from App World, you will NOT see the updates. Maybe someone else can tell me if I am wrong.

Hope this helps.
    10-26-12 07:23 PM
    That's odd that your applications aren't backing up after updates. From my past experiences, both AppLoader and Desktop Manager have backed up and restored my applications. Except one time when my computer crashed.
    10-26-12 07:27 PM
    That's odd that your applications aren't backing up after updates. From my past experiences, both AppLoader and Desktop Manager have backed up and restored my applications. Except one time when my computer crashed.
    This has been my experience too. Odd, because this is the second thread today complaining about apps not getting reinstalled after an OS update.

To the OP, did you check the option during the update to backup and restore information and apps?
    10-26-12 08:57 PM
    Yes, I sure did, sir. I have been using BlackBerry devices since the Curve 8900 and never once has Desktop Manager backed up my applications.
    10-26-12 09:06 PM
    Tarek, have you tried this set of instructions? I don't know if it'll solve your updates issue, but apparently there is a way to back up 3rd party apps using DM.

Basically, any time you "break" an app's history in App World, it will not be available for update through AW. This is also true for apps you may have downloaded (free or paid) from outside AW: it will simply not detect that app as installed.
    10-26-12 10:01 PM
    I think the OP wipes his BlackBerry prior to installing a new updated os..which means while going through the process of the loader, third party apps will not be shown to include in the install..

I have been using BBH which also shrinks the os aswell if you want to do that too..otherwise there is also many other options within the program including the ability to backup third party apps and restore them using the .cod files and they will show up in AppWorld as individual installed applications as normal
    10-27-12 02:26 AM